This game must be on Steam

This game must be on Steam

Postby linuxkernel » 01 Nov 2017, 06:59

Please publish this game on Steam as the Supertuxkart team did, you will obtain more developers and more users because it will increase the popularity of the game. :cool: :cool: :cool:
linuxkernel

Re: This game must be on Steam

Postby Tobbi » 10 Nov 2017, 16:56

There are a couple problems with Steam, mainly that they require you to pay a huge amount of money for your game to be listed there. We could've considered Greenlight, but the registration period has ended long ago.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Tlaloc1 » 14 Jan 2018, 05:25

You can add it to your steam library, so that you can launch it via steam (add a game > add a non-steam game . choose supertux), and I do think it would be nicer if ST was on steam, but I think its fine as it is.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start
Tlaloc1

Postby Alzter » 17 Jan 2018, 11:35

What's the point in having to have Steam open just to play SuperTux?
Alzter

Postby darkhog » 15 Feb 2018, 15:24

1. STK is on Steam?
2. You wouldn't need to use Steam to play SuperTux, it's all about choice, you could still download it or even build yourself (as in, non-steam version) if you have any kind of issues with Steam as a platform
3. The Direct fee (that allows you to add games, well, directly without any voting process) is literally the same as former Greenlight fee - $100. It's true that it's on per-game basis, but you only have one game to offer (SuperTux) so it shouldn't be a problem.
4. If you decide to do it, please add Workshop support as well for easy level pack/addon sharing.
darkhog

Postby mteufel » 15 Feb 2018, 17:27

1. No it isn't. But I think Steam allows you to add any executable somehow so it can simply launch it. Nothing more.
2. Yes, but I think the question is about endorsement. We as an open source software would, with that endorse the politics Steam decides on, and also the technical things that arise from its usage (Steam SDK stuff, and whatever)
3. We would also endorse this fee. And we can't really afford that right now.
4. That is a) unrelated and b) in my opinion, the level editor would be literally a separate application. Proprietary games usually don't include a level editor either. The level editor code and GUI sucks but it works. And because the C# application sucks too (at least the installation process), and flexlay is not usable yet for professional level editing, we leave it.

Edit: oh, for the next release, we'll likely publish it on a platform such as itch.io now that we have automatic builds of Linux distribution-independent executables.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby darkhog » 15 Feb 2018, 17:53

2. Other open-source projects are on Steam somehow (Krita, Blender, Godot, Teeworlds, possibly more). It's just a channel of distribution and having ST there would be great from the marketing standpoint since almost every gamer is using Steam (even many Linux gamers ever since it supports that amazing OS).
3. And you didn't have a problem with endorsing Greenlight fee, which was literally the same? But okay, not being able to afford it is a legitimate point. Maybe start a Patreon to support ST development.
4. Built-in level editor is great, I don't know what you mean it's unusable. Yes, there is a room for improvement, but they're minor things like need for a better script editing with syntax highlight or not being able to use scroll wheel in the tile selector (you have to move mouse to the top/bottom edge to scroll through things). Certainly no deal breakers. And commercial games don't come with editors because they don't want competition for DLCs - how can you complete with a free mod that sometimes is even better than official DLC? But they used to, examples would include Build editor for Duke 3d or ZZT.
darkhog

Postby mteufel » 15 Feb 2018, 18:47

2. It is probably great from a marketing standpoint. But not necessarily from an ethics standpoint.
3. Me? I don't think I ever was in favor of that fee stuff. Patreon and co. is good, but hard since most of the developers team is from Germany. And that means that we either create a non-profit organization (which costs us money because we probably need a lawyer then to set this up) or someone of the team takes responsibility and taxes this as personal income.
4. It is horribly unintuitive compared to what any other GUI framework can offer. Also, it requires too much mouse usage, for me that is. And I'm not saying we should not provide a level editor, but that we should provide it separately from the game. The latter has, in addition to the UI concerns, even more benefits.
SuperTux developer
mteufel