Storyline grumble

Storyline grumble

Postby Alzter » 21 Oct 2016, 01:04

I have a problem with the storyline.
The start is OK, penny gets captured by Nolok.
But Instead of a happy ending like,
"Tux rescues Penny and defeats Nolok"
We get the middle finger!
Instead of a happy end,
The story just trolls us, saying
"Oh no, sorry. Penny isn't here, Your purple penguin is in another castle!"
This even applies to the Halloween world!
And since you guys take so long to implement the ending,
We fans just sit here, devoid of hope, wondering if penny will ever return.
Or at least, I sit here, devoid of hope.
You need to work on a HAPPY ending,
Instead of just giving "the finger" and saying,
"Lol, penny is not here.
Go to the next world which will take ANOTHER 10 YEARS TO MAKE."
At least make a TEMPORARY happy ending at the end of Icy Island would be fine!
EVEN A TEXT ENDING WORKS (If it's a happy ending).
Alzter

Re: Storyline grumble

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Oct 2016, 01:20

Are you more concerned about the storyline or the development speed? Please realize that it isn't intentional that we haven't added many more worlds/parts to the storyline. The game is made by volunteers on their own time. Pretty much all development ceased for a few years there, but it has picked back up significantly in the last couple years, and progress is being made. More help is always welcome, and I thank you for the things you have brought to the table so far. I look forward to more.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby andrewj » 21 Oct 2016, 02:11

Yeah we all know the game is not finished, perhaps not even close to being finished.

But I reckon it would be nice that, when a player completes the game, they at least get a message that they saved Penny.
andrewj

Postby Hume2 » 22 Oct 2016, 16:57

I think, I can't let this uncommented, because I'm concerned about this too. I think, this is caused by the abundance of perfectionalism among the team. There would be no problem with just connecting the forest world to the icy island, but the problem is that it's not perfect enough. I personally would choose the tactic of doing it somehow and then improve, but that's not the case of SuperTux. Everything must be perfect enough and then it can be added. I had to give up graphics, because my graphics weren't prefect enough, altrough we don't have any artist that is active enough. And another think is that we decided to add just a few changes into one major release, even if there would be capacity of adding more features. That's exactly why this was abandoned for couple of years.

At least we have now an in-game editor, so it's possible to collect more levels from the community, which saves some time with creating new worlds. Now we are getting that 90% of SuperTux isn't perfect enough and needs to be improved. If this isn't going to change, it's most probable, that SuperTux will never have a finished story.
Hume2

Postby Alzter » 25 Oct 2016, 04:38

Cool, you guys. And I am concerned with BOTH the developement speed, and the storyline.
Alzter

Postby 164your5 » 26 Oct 2016, 14:30

we need to make supertux's storyline darker and edgier. maybe there could be a cutscene where penny is trapped in nolok's torture dungeon and contemplates killing herself but there's nothing she can kill herself with so she just sits down and cries. also when we squish a badguy there should be realistic blood and gore
164your5

Postby brmbrmcar » 26 Oct 2016, 20:41

That is not going to go down well for some who play SuperTux. It isn't a violent game.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby 164your5 » 27 Oct 2016, 14:00

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:That is not going to go down well for some who play SuperTux. It isn't a violent game.

but it could be violent. it would help separate us from mario and it would give us a whole new audience
164your5

Postby Sauer2 » 28 Oct 2016, 04:05

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:That is not going to go down well for some who play SuperTux. It isn't a violent game.

True. However, melting and burning all these critters alive with fireballs is pretty violent, to be honest. :p
Sauer2

Postby brmbrmcar » 28 Oct 2016, 10:14

Those melting animations are nothing compared to failed suicide attempts and blood and gore.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby 164your5 » 29 Oct 2016, 17:34

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:Those melting animations are nothing compared to failed suicide attempts and blood and gore.

exactly. lets take it to the next level
164your5

Postby brmbrmcar » 29 Oct 2016, 18:01

no
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby 164your5 » 29 Oct 2016, 18:53

uh yeah
164your5

Postby brmbrmcar » 29 Oct 2016, 19:10

mod it
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Hume2 » 30 Oct 2016, 19:18

I think, missing effects isn't the problem there. In my opinion, there is already plenty of everything, but no levels. Those levels can be made even using only the current stuff. No? Even the Adventure to the New World has a complete story and this is SuperTux 0.1.3. It's true that Adventure to the New World has its own music and backgrounds, but SuperTux is able to handle similar backgrounds just by using tilemaps. And the tiles were all taken from newer versions of SuperTux.
Hume2