Forest Island Feedback

Forest Island Feedback

Postby mteufel » 05 Aug 2016, 08:34

As we're currently redesigning the Forest Island we'd like to know what could be improved, replaced, added, or removed there.

Our current task list can be found at https://github.com/SuperTux/data/issues/28. Suggestions and feedback about those tasks are welcome at either GitHub directly, or if you mention the appropriate issue here, in this thread.

Please take your time to review the levels, and bring reasons why you like them or not. The current design document at https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/Milestone-3-Design-Document will be mainly used for new levels, so if you generally what to change something about that please discuss the contents of that document too. This is an important change, so feedback is always appreciated.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Re: Forest Island Feedback

Postby Dugglez » 05 Aug 2016, 10:04

Make countercurrent less bullshit:
- explain somehow what you need to do and where you need to go
- the green ball things are not even skill
- make saws more visible
- make it easier to tell where you are going to in the second part

That's all for that. A more clear ending would be nice too.
Dugglez

Postby brmbrmcar » 05 Aug 2016, 10:15

I think Countercurrent should be put into a bonus island - it is far too hard for the Forest World.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby mteufel » 05 Aug 2016, 10:25

Dugglez {l Wrote}:Make countercurrent less bullshit:

As for Countercurrent, it will be replaced with a new level inspired by it (https://twitter.com/supertux_team/status/760374592963747840) and moved to the end of the Forest Island (it will be called "Bye Bye Forest").

Dugglez {l Wrote}:- explain somehow what you need to do and where you need to go
- the green ball things are not even skill
- make saws more visible
- make it easier to tell where you are going to in the second part

Is this about Countercurrent? What green ball things? The will-o-wisps? What's up with them?
As for the saws, noted.

Dugglez {l Wrote}:That's all for that. A more clear ending would be nice too.

Yes there should probably be more cutscenes. However, Forest Island won't be the end! :)
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Dugglez » 05 Aug 2016, 21:57

yes, that is all about countercurrent, the will o wisps I don't get, they just send you back. why?
Dugglez

Postby mteufel » 06 Aug 2016, 07:11

Dugglez {l Wrote}:yes, that is all about countercurrent, the will o wisps I don't get, they just send you back. why?

That's just the point of them. Better avoid them. They could get you anywhere. They could even cause you to fall down and die. If you're fast enough, you'll get out of their range and they will fade out. They're like other enemies.

Do you have feedback about other levels too? As I said, Countercurrent will be replaced later.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby Tlaloc1 » 08 Aug 2016, 17:28

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:I think Countercurrent should be put into a bonus island - it is far too hard for the Forest World.

I think it should stay in the forest world, but only as a bonus level, like the bonus level in Icy Island
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start
Tlaloc1

Postby mteufel » 08 Aug 2016, 17:33

I hope that by now you should have read that it will be replaced with a redesigned version which is much easier (see https://twitter.com/supertux_team/status/760374592963747840). Also, I think you should read the links mentioned in my original post if you haven't yet - they contain up-to-date information why we do stuff like removing entire levels and they will also provide an overview of the changes that are planned. Of course you're free to discuss these ideas.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby karkus476 » 11 Aug 2016, 15:27

I personally think that "Walking Leaves" (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Super ... Leaves.stl) is not very interesting, and could be updated/removed.
karkus476

Postby Savs » 11 Aug 2016, 17:32

karkus476 {l Wrote}:I personally think that "Walking Leaves" (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Super ... Leaves.stl) is not very interesting, and could be updated/removed.

Walking Leaves should be not removed. It should be only improved.
Savs

Postby karkus476 » 12 Aug 2016, 12:33

Savs {l Wrote}:Walking Leaves should be not removed. It should be only improved.

I think it depends whether a new level would carry the same name. Walking Leaves can be completed very easily, by running and jumping, and is a very easy level.
karkus476

Postby Savs » 18 Aug 2016, 10:14

Tlaloc1 {l Wrote}:I think it should stay in the forest world, but only as a bonus level, like the bonus level in Icy Island

I think the bonus level should be Light and Magic just like in 0.3.0. Countercurrent should be only remade into different level with same name.
Savs

Postby Serano » 19 Aug 2016, 09:07

Light + Magic is going to be part of the main storyline in the ghostforest at this point. Any more levels which should be redone/removed?
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby RustyBox » 19 Aug 2016, 10:50

The ghost forest is getting a new first level, in which Tux enters the ghost forest after leaving a cave. Because of that, the level A Ghostly World needs to be replaced or redesigned, so it could still fit into the main story. (and it might get a new name.) So. Do you want it to be replaced or redesigned?
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby Serano » 19 Aug 2016, 11:03

RustyBox {l Wrote}:The ghost forest is getting a new first level, in which Tux enters the ghost forest after leaving a cave. Because of that, the level A Ghostly World needs to be replaced or redesigned, so it could still fit into the main story. (and it might get a new name.) So. Do you want it to be replaced or redesigned?

I think "A Ghostly World" can be replaced completely. Apart from the switching to the ghostforest per teleport it has nothing special to offer, in my opinion. It also makes not much sense, when Tux enters the ghostforest, he should stay there.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby brmbrmcar » 19 Aug 2016, 11:29

I think that all largely new levels should be name changed. Otherwise it is incredibly confusing and perhaps disappointing.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Nitro Ninja » 19 Aug 2016, 13:36

My suggestion is to make Owl's Revenge significantly longer.
Nitro Ninja

Postby Serano » 19 Aug 2016, 15:30

Nitro Ninja {l Wrote}:My suggestion is to make Owl's Revenge significantly longer.

Making it longer would ruin it, since it was designed as an Homage to the first "Giana Sisters"-Level. Perhaps this level is going to be a small bonus then.
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby Alzter » 25 Oct 2016, 04:51

I think the levels are OK, but some are impossibly hard, and way too long.
2 things I HATE:
Will-o-Wisps
They are just plain annoying,
And are overused a little.
I don't mind them too much,
But in "countercurrent" they should NOT be there.
There is already enough enemies, spikes, and currents to kill you 10 times!
WHY ADD WILLOWISPS

Owls and the flying purple dragons
The owls are almost IMPOSSIBLE to dodge, and are just plain d*cks.
Same with dragons, and if you are below one, It's a guaranteed death to you.
Alzter

Postby brmbrmcar » 25 Oct 2016, 11:48

I don't mind Owls, but Will-o-Wisps and Zeeklings are SO annoying.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Vellidragon » 26 Oct 2016, 01:19

I like the Owl enemies in concept, though I don't like that they drop one bomb and then do nothing. They seem like they should be a more permanent threat.

Will-o-Wisps are odd. They have an interesting gimmick, but they often feel pointless.
My games and resources: Lanschilandia Games
Vellidragon

Postby BlasterMaster » 28 Dec 2016, 05:35

I actually like Countercurrent. I found it more difficult then the usual level, but I wish more levels were like this one. But if I could say anything else, I think that story is very important to the levels. Cut scenes should be added every 4 or 5 levels. These are my thoughts.
Last edited by BlasterMaster on 02 Sep 2017, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby Alzter » 06 Aug 2017, 03:44

I wish there was more story involved, too. I feel like after the opening cutscene the story just fades away.
Alzter

Postby RustyBox » 06 Aug 2017, 10:03

Alzter {l Wrote}:I wish there was more story involved, too. I feel like after the opening cutscene the story just fades away.

This will be fixed in the upcoming 0.6. I'm currently working on finishing the forest world and also adding more cutscenes in both worlds (icy island and forest) in order to continue the story.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby the shapeshifter » 03 Sep 2017, 18:28

why is countercurrent so hard? i did it in 1 try.
the shapeshifter