Two badguy ideas from my daughter

Two badguy ideas from my daughter

Postby BeanAcres » 16 Jul 2016, 22:54

Hi folks,

In my "introduce yourself" post on 25 Jun 2016 I asked where I might post some new badguy ideas my daughter has created. User "Akien" kindly suggested "ST General" so here we are!

She is almost eight years old and her and her 4.5 year old brother are quite into making their own levels. I'm sure they'll like to do some testing of the new integrated level editor as soon as I am able to get the dev version installed.

I'm attaching her first two ideas, "Boss Bot" and "Cloud Monster". I have seen other folks upload full .h/.cpp implementations of their badguys; I have not learned much about the ST codebase yet so this will have to do for now. :)

She was sure that I should dictate her exact specifications for each idea :) so for each we have a couple of scans of her hand drawings and a .txt description. I've put them in ".zip" files (doing this on the family PC...) so hopefully this format is OK. Scanning from the printer on the Linux laptop seems (unfortunately) to be a bit dodgy.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and comments,
Chuck
Attachments
CloudMonster.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
BossBot.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 271 times
BeanAcres

Re: Two badguy ideas from my daughter

Postby mteufel » 17 Jul 2016, 10:08

BeanAcres {l Wrote}:She is almost eight years old and her and her 4.5 year old brother are quite into making their own levels. I'm sure they'll like to do some testing of the new integrated level editor as soon as I am able to get the dev version installed.

Feel free to share the levels in the forum. :) As for the development version, you can find nightly builds for every major platform except the *BSDs at https://download.supertuxproject.org/download/

BeanAcres {l Wrote}:I'm attaching her first two ideas, "Boss Bot" and "Cloud Monster". I have seen other folks upload full .h/.cpp implementations of their badguys; I have not learned much about the ST codebase yet so this will have to do for now. :)

She was sure that I should dictate her exact specifications for each idea :) so for each we have a couple of scans of her hand drawings and a .txt description. I've put them in ".zip" files (doing this on the family PC...) so hopefully this format is OK. Scanning from the printer on the Linux laptop seems (unfortunately) to be a bit dodgy.

The format is okay. The ideas are interesting and could be used in further releases. Sadly, implementing this will probably take a long, long time, main reasons being that we're currently trying to get the editor ready and want to redesign and improve the forest world for one of the next releases.

For different worlds (e.g. "Cloud Monster" could fit into a mountain world/island), we'd need a) more artists drawing in SuperTux style b) more level designers and c) more coders (plus another bunch of people like musicians).
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby BeanAcres » 05 Aug 2016, 05:46

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply (and apologies for taking a long time to respond back...). Well, it turns out I am a musician too (mainly keyboard stuff; which fits well with game soundtrack music), so perhaps down the road I could help out a bit there. As with everything it all comes down to time, though, of course!

I did download a recent build, but I ran into some error that I think has more to do with my system than SuperTux. Ubuntu has an annoying default of having a rather small /boot partition size, and automatic system updates tend to fill that with new kernel files quickly. A recent kernel update didn't quite all fit, and my system seems to have permanent issues with updates. I will eventually find time to work on it, but in the meantime I've been thinking of making a debug build of SuperTux anyhow, since stepping through some of the code would obviously be a good way to get familiar with it.

Thanks,
Chuck
BeanAcres

Postby mteufel » 05 Aug 2016, 07:39

Nightly builds on Linux were broken recently (https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/512), maybe that was the issue (it's been fixed since). As for building, see https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/Building (and https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/blob/master/INSTALL.md).
SuperTux developer
mteufel