POLL/IDEAS: 2-player-mode

Re: POLL/IDEAS: 2-player-mode

Postby Alzter » 22 Sep 2016, 00:53

Maybe make it similar to Sonic 2's Co-op mode? I see a bit of it in here!
But who would be Player 2?
Alzter

Postby Mrifk » 23 Sep 2016, 07:12

Alzter {l Wrote}:But who would be Player 2?

Why not Beastie?
Mrifk

Postby Alzter » 28 Sep 2016, 02:28

NO BEASTIE!
He has been rejected as a whole.

Anyway, I had BETTER idea for Player 2!
Maybe a pig... Who lives in the forest world?

I might be able to make some Player 2 sprites!
Alzter

Postby Nitro Ninja » 28 Sep 2016, 09:41

Alzter {l Wrote}:NO BEASTIE!
He has been rejected as a whole.

Anyway, I had BETTER idea for Player 2!
Maybe a pig... Who lives in the forest world?

I might be able to make some Player 2 sprites!

I don't exactly think a pig would fit in with a forest, how about a monkey?
Nitro Ninja

Postby brmbrmcar » 28 Sep 2016, 15:40

Another penguin.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Alzter » 28 Sep 2016, 23:51

OK, But make the "other penguin" look DIFFERENT and UNIQUE.
Alzter

Postby Wuzzy » 03 Oct 2016, 08:03

I am not really sure what you are trying to achieve. Do you have any real gameplay concepts in mind? Just saying “we want to make a 2 player mode” is not an actual gameplay concept.
So far you don't even know the most basic rules of the 2 player mode. But this is important!
I think it is pretty futile to think about details like bonuses before you even know the core rules.

Personally I don't care about a 2 player mode but I am not automatically opposed to one. But if you want to implement one, I strongly advise you (for the sake of quality) to think about the basic rules first. Also, it is not really clear whether a 2 player mode would be even feasible for ST in the first place.
Wuzzy

Postby Mrifk » 09 Dec 2016, 06:01

Alzter {l Wrote}:OK, But make the "other penguin" look DIFFERENT and UNIQUE.

Idea: make the other penguin Freedo, the mascot of the Linux-libre kernel.

He is a blue penguin with some showering gear:

(though I can't imagine he carries that stuff everywhere!)
Mrifk

Postby VNS » 21 Dec 2016, 02:04

Just a quick reply to brmbrmcar.

Believe it or not, mods are 100% possible. All you need to be able to do it is to either make seperate folders for each asset in the data folder in the game files for the user to place manually, or upload a seperate game of supertux itself with the assets already included (Not recommended for 2 reasons)
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Lyberta » 22 Dec 2016, 17:51

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Mrifk » 22 Dec 2016, 22:32

FaTony {l Wrote}:The obvious friend of Tux is GNU :)

I thought of that as well. GNU is usually depicted as much bigger though (https://www.gnu.org/graphics/bwcartoon.html for example) -- which could be an interesting gameplay mechanic, but would probably take a lot more work. No-one's even sure how a two-player mode with penguins would work yet...

https://www.gnu.org/graphics/3dbabygnutux.html does have them the same size though :)
Mrifk

Postby Oliver_Buo » 28 Dec 2016, 16:21

I have a other idea for 2 Players. Like Fireboy and Watergirl.
The one caracter can go, where the other don't can go. Only together they can solve a problem....
go to:
http://www.fireboynwatergirl.com/?p=game

a nice flashgame. :p :)
Oliver_Buo

Postby brmbrmcar » 30 Dec 2016, 12:25

I know that mods are possible. When did I say they weren't?
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Mrifk » 30 Dec 2016, 21:55

Oliver_Buo {l Wrote}:I have a other idea for 2 Players. Like Fireboy and Watergirl.
The one caracter can go, where the other don't can go. Only together they can solve a problem....

Hey, I remember that game! Honestly, I think this would work better than competitive play (more in the spirit of free software, no?)

Ideas (adapted from that game to the SuperTux world):
    Player 1 holds down a button, which opens a gate that player 2 can go behind (perhaps to retrieve a spring, for example)
    Player 1 stands on a platform with a block, which causes player 1's platform to fall and player 2's platform to rise
    Player 2 has different abilities from player 1; perhaps a longer jump, or greater speed when swimming (or the other way around)
    A cooperative climbing level where platforms have to be added via switches pulled by the other player

If I had Flash at the moment I would replay those games and see what other ideas I could come up with.
Mrifk

Postby BlasterMaster » 30 Dec 2016, 23:00

Kind of like fire boy and water girl. And just think what you could do with the lanterns.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby sirwillperkins » 21 Mar 2017, 20:57

Although it may make level not flow as quickly as screen only move when both players are headed in the same direction. two player co op similar to old chip and dale nes game where players can stand on top of other characters and throw each other was kind of fun similar to how mario bros.2 let you pick up enemies and carry them very similar, there could be extra bonus level where tux or penny is stand on top of like a snowboard while they do a penquin slide. of course a choice to play multiplayer with the ability to control enemies would be interesting. perhaps allow player playing villian to watch player as they run through level and click with mouse on baddie of choice to manually control them adding more challenge for seasoned supertuxersI would prefer to allow players to host their own servers with a lobby option to find game invites.
sirwillperkins

Postby VNS » 22 Mar 2017, 03:30

There could be a split screen, though.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby sirwillperkins » 22 Mar 2017, 04:51

Although more work penny could still be playable and kidnapped princess could be changed to Sara the Mascot of OpenGameArt Website, SuperTuxKart uses her as royalty and ruler of the Mascot Kingdom might not be a bad Idea to create some continuity between some aspects of the two games, since TuxKart might be on STEAM soon influx of new players might like it giving a sudo franchise like feel. although freedo also seems like a good choice. As far as Gnu and other Mascots it would be cool to see them make some appearances perhaps to add world to storyline.
sirwillperkins

Postby BBmine » 18 Jun 2017, 17:29

I think a LAN mode would be great, and then an online mode.
BBmine

Postby pelya » 24 Jul 2017, 20:29

The simplest and most obvious multiplayer mode would be quick-run:
Players spawn at the beginning as usual, and compete with each other to finish the level as fast as possible.
Players cannot interact with each other, cannot steal powerups or kill monsters. You are just seeing a 'ghost' of other player.
This mode allows for more than two players, and is not influenced by network lag at all, it might be interesting to new players, but I feel it will grow boring quickly.

Deathmatch/CTF: will require specially crafted maps, very sensitive to network lag, the gameplay is not designed for deathmatch at all, and will essentially be a glorified Divekick.
This is probably the worst choice of online gameplay.

Defense: half of players are playing as Tux, another half are playing as various badguys scattered across the level and trying to stop Tux from finishing the level.
Badguys respawn after being killed, Tux players stay dead.
So if you received a snowball, you can suicide and respawn as a jumping Spiky.
All badguys can jump, but Spiky will move more slowly, and cannot stop jumping.
Ice cubes require other players to launch them sliding, but can stop on their own after two seconds of sliding. Alternatively: ice cubes can slide but cannot jump.
When all Tux players are either dead or finished the level, the teams swap roles.
For quicker matches, only one Tux has to reach level end to win the match, then teams compare their run times.
Influenced by the network lag the same way as DM, but it will feel less 'unfair', because the teams do not have equal roles.
Players on the same team cannot bump into each other, because doing precise bump-and-jump physics will require very small network lag.
Players also cannot steal bonuses for the same reason, meaning that if one player takes the bonus, other players still can take the same bonus on their screen.

Infection: The same rules as Defense, but there's only one badguy player initially, and every Tux player who dies becomes a badguy.
Tux players who reached the end of the level respawn at the beginning, maybe with a bonus snowball.
Player who completed the level most of the times as Tux receives the best score.

If you'll implement online game mode, I will arrange two servers for it, but I will need SuperTux to be able to run in dedicated server mode, with no GUI.
pelya

Postby VNS » 24 Jul 2017, 21:33

The "simplest and most obvious" is basically Super Mario Run.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Alzter » 06 Aug 2017, 03:39

I love the defense idea! Maybe the maps could be big and open, with walls and places to take cover. It would be cool if there was a rare chance you could spawn as a Yeti!
Alzter

Postby HerobrineRC » 05 Nov 2017, 19:16

If there will be online mode i hope there will be possibility to make server in game not in files or making server on virtual machine like in minecraft. Maybe add config like time for level to be passed.
HerobrineRC

Postby Alzter » 17 Jan 2018, 11:44

If there was co-op in the single player levels, how would 2 or more players parkour on the flying snowballs since they die first hit? Also, maybe the split screen could be like SMBX.
Alzter

Postby brmbrmcar » 18 Jan 2018, 19:01

Don't use flying snowballs to access areas. A level that does that is a really bad one anyway.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar