Ideas for the next release?

Re: Ideas for the next release?

Postby BlasterMaster » 04 Dec 2018, 03:39

Though, now that I think about it, this wouldn't be for 0.6.0
My name is Jason. And I am an amateur artist. When I have the time, I try working on revamping some of the supertux art.
BlasterMaster

Postby RustyBox » 04 Dec 2018, 06:17

@BlasterMaster I really like the design idea for the shop house on the worldmap
SuperTux Level Designer
RustyBox

Postby Alzter » 04 Dec 2018, 11:36

@BlasterMaster OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS AMAZING. Awesome idea, even better than the walrus. I'd love to see this in-game.
The SuperTux nitpick.
Alzter

Postby Alzter » 04 Dec 2018, 11:43

darkhog {l Wrote}:Maybe we could just throw physic code away and replace it with Box2D for all stuff that needs collision/gravity? Not only this would allow for more complex interactions, but it'll be easier to work with as you would only specify masses and forces applied to things (rigid bodies) and likely won't need to change actual physics code.

Of course replacing the physics code is a tall order that will probably break a lot of things before appropriate values for mass and forces will be found that are roughly equivalent to the current physics, but if seriously no one understands the code and the guy who wrote it isn't coming back, it's the only solution to have successful long-term development.

Just to be clear: There's nothing wrong with the current physics, but if they stand in the way of new features...

To be honest the current physics feel really slippery. You can't really turn in-air, there's very low friction and a lot of collisions involving blocks are very broken and usually give out unfair crush deaths. If we were to change the physics I would prefer if we made them a bit more tighter akin to Milestone 1. (Not to the point where letting go of jump in air instantly cancels all your vertical momentum but you get my point)
The SuperTux nitpick.
Alzter