Let's Play

Let's Play

Postby XaviorPenguin » 20 Jan 2012, 11:48

Thank you first for creating a neat game for me to play on and making the source available so I can play this on my Wii and other devices I have.
I do want to ask a question and I don't know if this would apply to all Open Source programs or what but...
I am wanting to do a Let's Play (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/lets-play).
I would like permission to record video and upload it to YouTube with gameplay and commentary. The commentary would consist of me, who I am, etc...and of the game and what I find neat, a walkthrough, etc. I have seen a few people with this game recorded and uploaded but I do not know if they had asked permission or because it is free and Open Source and they took it as "Hey, it's free, I can do what I want without asking, etc, etc."

So, on that note, may I do this? May I get permission to create a Let's Play series of me playing the game and recording it and placing it on YouTube?

Thank you again for creating this game! It is very fun to play and I enjoy it.
XaviorPenguin

Re: Let's Play

Postby ctdabomb » 20 Jan 2012, 21:02

Can you give me an example of software&developers that prohibit their users from publishing gameplay footage? :p
sure you can. Just no selling it. ;)
Also when you make them will you let us know? :cool:
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby charlie » 21 Jan 2012, 23:33

SuperTux is Free Software. If you want to make a "Let's Play" video, just do it. You do not need permission.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby XaviorPenguin » 02 Feb 2012, 22:25

Oh wow, guess I had better reply. ;)
(Reminds myself to go and set the reminder here to say "Hey, e-mail me when a reply comes through")

No, I ain't gonna sell it, just play through it.
I don't know of any publishers/developers that would say no but I figured I would ask first before I did anything. Best to be on the safe side of things. :)

And yes, I will let you know when I record.
Mind you, I am doing this with another game right now and so far, I am having fun. This will be for Child's Play Charity for what I do.
Check out http://xplnk.net/lpanyim1 and http://xplnk.net/lpanyim2 (Both go to my domain of Disturbed-Penguin.net, I use my own URL shortner). That is what I have done with a game so far called And Yet It Moves, been in talks with the developers and she seems to like what I have done. I kinda plan on doing the same thing with SuperTux.

Thank you again for the quick response and I am sorry for the lateness of mine. :(
XaviorPenguin

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Feb 2012, 23:05

XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:Oh wow, guess I had better reply. ;)
(Reminds myself to go and set the reminder here to say "Hey, e-mail me when a reply comes through")

No, I ain't gonna sell it, just play through it.
I don't know of any publishers/developers that would say no but I figured I would ask first before I did anything. Best to be on the safe side of things. :)

:)

XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:Thank you again for the quick response and I am sorry for the lateness of mine. :(

no problem. ;)
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby XaviorPenguin » 09 Apr 2012, 17:15

Got it recorded! Sorry it took a while, I had another Let's Play to do.
I played it all in an evening. I didn't get all the coins or find all the secrets. I only played the main story, not any of the Contrib Levels or Addons. Just the core. I believe I had played 0.3.3b or 0.33b release. I will have a Death Counter up and depending on how often I died, I will be donating that to charity. :)

Editing is happening soon and I will be uploading them up as soon as editing is complete.
Links to come soon!

Thank you for a great game, I have enjoyed it. Maybe I will revisit and play the other levels, I dunno. :)
XaviorPenguin

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Apr 2012, 22:01

XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:Got it recorded! Sorry it took a while, I had another Let's Play to do.
I played it all in an evening. I didn't get all the coins or find all the secrets. I only played the main story, not any of the Contrib Levels or Addons. Just the core. I believe I had played 0.3.3b or 0.33b release. I will have a Death Counter up and depending on how often I died, I will be donating that to charity. :)

SWEET!!! :D

XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:Thank you for a great game, I have enjoyed it.

:D

thanks again for making a lets play :D
ctdabomb

Postby XaviorPenguin » 09 Apr 2012, 22:07

Also, I have a question too, is there a way I can be directed to a font very similar to this font that is used in the game as well as receive permission to use the Tux image as part of my editing? I just want to make sure all my bases are covered and don't want to step on any toes. Or rather, is there anything that I cannot do with this?
XaviorPenguin

Postby ctdabomb » 10 Apr 2012, 13:12

It's all under the GPL license, so that is your only restriction.
XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:Also, I have a question too, is there a way I can be directed to a font very similar to this font that is used in the game

:/ i don't know about that font, sorry
XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}: as well as receive permission to use the Tux image as part of my editing?

thats fine as long as you comply with it's license.
ctdabomb

Postby XaviorPenguin » 10 Apr 2012, 16:07

Rock on! I am editing and will be uploading over the next few days!
Thank you for all the help!
XaviorPenguin

Postby XaviorPenguin » 22 Apr 2012, 03:24

New #LetsPlay featuring SuperTux - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1M6EbmQ2s - Time to die for charity this time.
This is Episode 1 out of 5 :)
XaviorPenguin

Postby XaviorPenguin » 28 Apr 2012, 01:21

New #LetsPlay featuring SuperTux - http://youtu.be/jZ5c1YYm9Xw - Time to die for charity this time...total thus far is 22, previous episode was 9.
This is Episode 2 out of 5
XaviorPenguin

Postby ctdabomb » 28 Apr 2012, 14:24

Thats great :D get em coming :)
ctdabomb

Postby XaviorPenguin » 22 May 2012, 11:10

New #LetsPlay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBn860MHGAo - #SuperTux Episode 3. Donated $27! Sorry for the delay. Episode 4 will be up this Friday.
XaviorPenguin

Postby XaviorPenguin » 26 May 2012, 14:45

New #LetsPlay - youtu.be/FYHZArC7rcI?a - #SuperTux Episode 4, Before the Final Boss. Total Donated was $23 for this Episode.
XaviorPenguin

Postby XaviorPenguin » 30 May 2012, 07:38

New #LetsPlay - http://youtu.be/jTwh0fxoIRQ - #SuperTux Episode 5. Total of $9 this EP, $81 for this LP. Total overall LPs, $164 #AYIM, Blog later!

Final Episode to complete SuperTux 0.3.3. This has been fun. Later on, I may revisit and do each of the Contrib for SuperTux. We shall see.

Thank you to all the developers and contributors of SuperTux. As always, this is a great game to play and I can't wait to see what else is in store for SuperTux! Thank you for permission as well as the opportunity. :)
XaviorPenguin

Postby ctdabomb » 30 May 2012, 15:51

XaviorPenguin {l Wrote}:New #LetsPlay - http://youtu.be/jTwh0fxoIRQ - #SuperTux Episode 5. Total of $9 this EP, $81 for this LP. Total overall LPs, $164 #AYIM, Blog later!

Final Episode to complete SuperTux 0.3.3. This has been fun. Later on, I may revisit and do each of the Contrib for SuperTux. We shall see.

Thank you to all the developers and contributors of SuperTux. As always, this is a great game to play and I can't wait to see what else is in store for SuperTux! Thank you for permission as well as the opportunity. :)

thanks for doing this! what charity is this for? and is this in U.S. or European dollars?
ctdabomb

Postby XaviorPenguin » 30 May 2012, 16:13

This is for the Child's Play Charity (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/)
This is in U.S. Dollars.
XaviorPenguin