Help with GIT

Help with GIT

Postby ctdabomb » 10 Jan 2012, 23:10

ST just moved from svn to git a few days ago and the link on the wiki hasn't been updated. here is the correct one: http://code.google.com/p/supertux/
unfortunately you are right about the last commit being sept. 11 :(
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: ST todo list for next release

Postby LMH » 11 Jan 2012, 04:44

By the way, I just found out that not all the files made it over to git. Until it is fixed you can use a clone that I've begun working with (accessible through the Google Code link).
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 11 Jan 2012, 18:52

Thanks.
So i think i better wait until the transfer is completed.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 11 Jan 2012, 21:09

well the transfer is completed. If you use LMH's clone
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 11 Jan 2012, 22:11

OK, thanks, i'll take a look tomorrow, then.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 11 Jan 2012, 22:12

cool :cool:
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 00:04

Well, actually i tried today and it didn't compile because of errors, so i think i will wait until LMH is finished with extending the code.
Sauer2

Postby LMH » 12 Jan 2012, 02:00

I've had no problems getting the code to build. You're likely missing one of the requisite libraries (see the REQUIREMENTS section of the INSTALL file). There are a slew of them, and if I remember right it was a pain getting my system to the point where I could actually use the code. You can probably figure out what is missing by the error code, and you may also need to refer to the wiki as well.

I wish I had made a list of all the things I did that ultimately led to my first successful build (being a novice it probably would have been useful for others), but I didn't have that foresight (wasn't even sure if I'd ever be able to do it). The hardest part is making sure all the prerequisites are in place, which is also highly dependent on your OS.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 12 Jan 2012, 15:10

you guys were lucky, I wasn't even able to get the code itself!I stink at that sort of stuff)
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 18:42

It doesn't look like an dependency error, since cmake was completed without missing dependencies. That's the message:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
/home/sauer2/lmh0013-clone/src/object/bonus_block.cpp: In member function ‘void BonusBlock::try_open(Player*)’:
/home/sauer2/lmh0013-clone/src/object/bonus_block.cpp:226:8: error: jump to case label [-fpermissive]
/home/sauer2/lmh0013-clone/src/object/bonus_block.cpp:220:21: error:   crosses initialization of ‘SpecialRiser* riser’
/home/sauer2/lmh0013-clone/src/object/bonus_block.cpp:180:9: warning: enumeration value ‘CONTENT_SCRIPT’ not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/supertux2.dir/src/object/bonus_block.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/supertux2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

@ctdabomb: Are you using linux and have git installed?
Then use
git clone https://code.google.com/r/lmh0013-clone/
to get the repository folder.
On windows you can you TortoiseGit, i suppose.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 12 Jan 2012, 18:47

i wasn't sure what people meant when people said ""do you have git installed?" so I installed some programs that said they were a git repository browser, but i couldn't figure out how to use them. :( so I am stuck.
ctdabomb

Re: Help with GIT

Postby ctdabomb » 12 Jan 2012, 19:04

I tried something called gitg, but when I open it it says: Could not find git repository.
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 19:14

I think, gitg is just a viewer for repositiories, that you already have cloned to your pc.
To clone the repository from google code, open a command line window like terminal or xterm and run
git clone https://code.google.com/r/lmh0013-clone/
It creates a folder in your user directory where all the code, gfx and stuff lies.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 12 Jan 2012, 19:19

oh! I get it now! i am very stupid :P
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 12 Jan 2012, 20:57

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:It doesn't look like an dependency error, since cmake was completed without missing dependencies. That's the message:

It looks like it might be something I did (although I don't understand why it worked for me). Can you try using the revision before the bonusblock changes? That might fix it. In the mean time I'll try to find out what went wrong with my code (alternatively just copy the external/tinygettext directory from my clone over to the official supertux files and avoid all my tinkering).
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 21:44

Maybe it's a different-compiler thing. I use g++ 4.6.2.
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 22:41

Question aside: How do i clone an earlier revision? I searched the web for a time, but i only find stuff like rolling back and pulling older files...
Sauer2

Postby LMH » 12 Jan 2012, 23:20

No need to clone again, just use:
git reset --hard <tag/branch/commit id>

or in this case:
git reset --hard 73380d492ba0
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 23:25

OK, that works. Thanks!
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 30 Jan 2012, 19:27

I am trying to compile this, but I get these cmake errors. :(
-- Found OggVorbis: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so;/usr/lib/libvorbis.so;/usr/lib/libogg.so
-- Size of void* is 4
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux
   used as include directory in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux/external/squirrel
OPENAL_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "supertux2" in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux
PHYSFS_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux
   used as include directory in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux/external/squirrel
PHYSFS_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "supertux2" in directory /home/ctdabomb/supertux

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 30 Jan 2012, 20:09

Looks like CMake cannot find OpenAL and PhysicsFS. You'll probably want to try to re-install them. If they continue to give you trouble, you might have to look around for a different source for these libraries appropriate for your OS.

Getting those pesky prereqs working correctly is the toughest part of building from code.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 30 Jan 2012, 20:20

thanks,

LMH {l Wrote}:Getting those pesky prereqs working correctly is the toughest part of building from code.

true :think: :(
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 30 Jan 2012, 21:03

I reinstalled them, and that didn't work so I installed the newest versions from their websites, but that failed also, both times getting the same error as before. :eew:
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 30 Jan 2012, 21:40

ugh.. I think there is a way to manually tell CMAKE where things are, but I'm not sure off the top of my head how to do it.

I was looking at the building wiki page and saw that the development versions of those libraries are required. Perhaps you only installed the standard installations, although I would probably expect a different error if that were the case. I'm not sure if there are any hints on that page that will help you. Otherwise you'll probably have to search CMake, OpenAL, and PhysicsFS documentation and hope someone somewhere has the solution. I'm no expert on these things so I'm afraid that my usefulness is rather limited.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 30 Jan 2012, 21:47

oh well. I guess I will wait for a miracle to happen or 4.0 release.
ctdabomb