ST todo list for next release

ST todo list for next release

Postby ctdabomb » 03 Jan 2012, 18:32

If anyone wants to help with the next release of supertux, here is a todo list(taken from ST wiki) just leave a note saying what you did and you probably should open a bug report for your change:

Code Tasks

* Empty top/middle/bottom background image string should be handled as transparent image (more parallax backgrounds)
* properly GPL'ify the supertux-editor (COPYING file, GPL headers, etc.)

Sound and Music Tasks

* Improve the sounds
* Create more music tracks for IcyIsland.
* Compress music more. The 40 MBytes of music make up two thirds of the source tarball.

Graphics / Sprites

* Crystallo dead/dying sprites
* Create SuperTux idle animations (stage1: blinking with the eye,(DONE) stage2: tipping with the food, stage3: scratching the head)
* when Tux dies he can fly behind blocks instead of in front of them, drawing order bug
* Tux isn't centered properly to his collision box
* repair jump Tux sprite (to dark black)
* butt jump animation
* finish cannon graphics, also snowball graphics, death, etc
* try to fix white-lines around graphics problems
* Snowman graphics (death animation, turn-around graphics)
* Owl graphics (basically placeholder graphics right now)
* some decor for ice tiles, cracks and stuff
* finish icecrusher graphics
* animate minibomb
* think of a new way to represent the exit area (snow molted with smooth ground below or so)
* add turn-around animation for smart-snowball
* add sprite scaling

Editor / Developer Conveniences

New unisolid snow tiles
Parallax backgrounds
Sector/Scripting use
Add-ons + manager (To distribute these new levels, of course!)
editor doesn't align Cannon and Krush and Krosh properly (grid is wrong) (I think it's using the 0,0-position of the image to align objects, not the hitbox. —octo)

Menu System / Game Configuration

* add an cmd option --default and/or a menu entry "Reset to Default" to reset any changes to resolution or aspect ratio (or something along those lines) (cmd done, WolfgangB)
* add gamma control to the option menu, see: int SDL_SetGamma (float redgamma, float greengamma, float bluegamma);
* make aspect ratio option menu thing work
* need to properly auto-detect and set aspect ratio on games first startup (i.e. on a 1280x1024 screen aspect must be set to 5:4, not 4:3)
* option menu entries are currently not in sync with gameconfig
* add scale-with-window option to magnification or something like that
* make left/right change an option in the menu, let enter apply it (needed for fullscreen)

Levels / Scripting / Gameplay

* level startup needs a fade-in, so does game startup, level abort and a few other places
* add all fade-in/out effects to DisplayEffect
* camera vertical scroll doesn't work properly in a small window (i.e. it doesn't move at all)

Other

* aspect ratio init code
* think about peeking in relation to large screen size

Enemies

* AngryBonusBlock: Have a bonus block type that comes to life when tux jumps against it and then chases Tux
* create an enemy type that doesn't just walk straight into one direction, but does something different depending on Tux direction (ninja)
* General: Have particle throwing starting enemies (fireflower like)
* Mr. Bomb: let the fuse burn after one touched it
* Flying Snowball: Remove randomness, should be periodic and predictable
* Flying Snowball: Change timings to match that of Milestone1
* Flying Snowball: smoke effect for the motor seem to be to seldomly triggered
* Icecrusher: facial expression, maybe screen shaking
* Krosh (big icecrusher): add a larger version of Krush (the icecrusher), twice the size (4x4 files)
* Mr. IceBlock: transparency looks bad on dark backgrounds, Wiki had a better looking version floating around

Postpone to Milestone 3

These are items that can be postponed until milestone 3, but are still welcome for milestone 2.
Code Tasks

* separate lisp reader, tinygettext and other libraries properly out of SuperTux

* optimize the build process, building SuperTux currently takes ages

* fix console command set_game_speed() so that it doesn't slow down the console

Other

* create SuperTux .xo Activity for OLPC
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: ST todo list for next release

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 16:33

* port to Haskell
May i ask why?
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 16:34

no clue why. I didn't write this so I don't know
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 16:37

I'm just curious. Nothing against the decision of the guys from joyride labs, but doesn't take using monads all the time the fun out of haskell?
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 16:39

he he he... I don't even know what haskell is!
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 16:48

How is the development of supertux going these days? Is there still a team left? Not to insult anyone, but the wiki seems a bit deserted.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 17:02

the development is kind of slow right now because the team is kind of busy with life, but they just moved to git from SVN making it easier to get submissions submitted to the game. any help is big help if you want to contribute.
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 17:19

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:How is the development of supertux going these days? Is there still a team left? Not to insult anyone, but the wiki seems a bit deserted.

well the wiki isn't really a community place, that is what this forum is for. :lol:
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 18:13

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:
Sauer2 {l Wrote}:How is the development of supertux going these days? Is there still a team left? Not to insult anyone, but the wiki seems a bit deserted.

well the wiki isn't really a community place, that is what this forum is for. :lol:

That will be the excuse for my future missing documentation :lol:
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 18:17

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:
ctdabomb {l Wrote}:

That will be the excuse for my future missing documentation :lol:

???? i don't get what you said
---------------------------------------------
Just curious are you interested in helping develop supertux?
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 18:26

I was just kidding.
I'd like to help, but i'm a beginner with c++ and supertux has a huge codebase :!:
I need to practise with meandmyshadow, maybe i can help some weeks later.
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 09 Jan 2012, 18:27

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:I was just kidding.
I'd like to help, but i'm a beginner with c++ and supertux has a huge codebase :!:
I need to practise with meandmyshadow, maybe i can help some weeks later.

Cool!
I wish i could write c++, but when I tried learning how, I failed.
ctdabomb

Postby Sauer2 » 09 Jan 2012, 18:38

I did that in the past, too.
But then i read C++ sucks to be my first programming language ever and over the last year i learned lots of other programming languages, so i wanted to give it a try again.
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 10 Jan 2012, 21:00

By the way, I would like to take a look at svn/git/whatever code, but the lethargik repository mentioned in the wiki is password protected - even for reading.
There is another repository on Google Code, but i'm not sure if it is up to date, since the last update is from September 11.2011.
Could you name me the right repository?
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 12 Jan 2012, 19:00

Which one are you using? (on linux, you better prefer the command mentioned about)
Sauer2

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Apr 2012, 14:48

here is an updated list, NOT MUCH LEFT TO DO!!! :D :D :D

Code Tasks

properly GPL'ify the supertux-editor (COPYING file, GPL headers, etc.)

Sound and Music Tasks

Improve the sounds
Compress music more. The 40 MBytes of music make up two thirds of the source tarball.

Graphics / Sprites

Create SuperTux idle animations (stage1: blinking with the eye, stage2: tipping with the food, stage3: scratching the head)
when Tux dies he can fly behind blocks instead of in front of them, drawing order bug
Tux isn't centered properly to his collision box
repair jump Tux sprite (to dark black) (Grumbel)
draw a bigger arrow for when Tux is jumping out of the screen
finish cannon graphics, also snowball graphics, death, etc (Grumbel)
Snowman graphics (death animation, turn-around graphics) (Grumbel)
Owl graphics (basically placeholder graphics right now) —octo 07:53, 9 March 2010 (UTC)
some decor for ice tiles, cracks and stuff (Grumbel)
finish icecrusher graphics
deep snow tiles
icicle graphics for decoration purpose
animate minibomb
paint tutorial board for backflip
think of a new way to represent the exit area (snow molted with smooth ground below or so)
add turn-around animation for smart-snowball
add sprite scaling

directly accessible powerups
reorganize the editor to something more like this SuperTux-Editor MookUp
Editor: show tile attributes in editor, especially for non-solid and unisolid there is often a very similar solid tile. Either add special editor-images for unisolid, some overlay icon for the tile selector or at least a hint in the status bar. (status bar done)
finish editor improvements (MatzeB)
editor doesn't align Cannon and Krush and Krosh properly (grid is wrong)
I think it's using the 0,0-position of the image to align objects, not the hitbox. —octo 07:50, 9 March 2010 (UTC)

Meta / Organization

create a timeline what shall be done and when — Milestone 2 Design Document/Timeline
discuss in the meetings what shall be done over the coming week — Next Meeting Agenda
document the behaviour of all badguys to be used in Milestone2 along with how they interact with each other - Milestone 2 Design Document/Enemies

Menu System / Game Configuration

add gamma control to the option menu, see: int SDL_SetGamma (float redgamma, float greengamma, float bluegamma);
make aspect ratio option menu thing work
need to properly auto-detect and set aspect ratio on games first startup (i.e. on a 1280x1024 screen aspect must be set to 5:4, not 4:3)
option menu entries are currently not in sync with gameconfig
add scale-with-window option to magnification or something like that
make left/right change an option in the menu, let enter apply it (needed for fullscreen)

replace "you found a secret area" with a special sound (Wansti)
why I like it the way it is. -ctdabomb
level startup needs a fade-in, so does game startup, level abort and a few other places
add all fade-in/out effects to DisplayEffect
camera vertical scroll doesn't work properly in a small window (i.e. it doesn't move at all)

Other

aspect ratio init code (Grumbel)
think about peeking in relation to large screen size
Maybe disable peeking if the resolution is at a certain size or greater? Tux would just be centered. sik0fewl 18:34, 30 April 2009 (UTC)

Enemies

fix and cleanup all the enemy names - see Milestone 2 Design Document/Enemies for new names
A beginning has been made by renaming Kamikaze Snowball to Snowshot. There's not much consensus about the other changes though, see Meeting 2010-02-27. --octo 07:01, 5 March 2010 (UTC)
AngryBonusBlock: Have a bonus block type that comes to life when tux jumps against it and then chases Tux

Break the "only good stuff from bonus blocks" and "same look same behaviour" rules? --WolfgangB 01:27, 25 May 2008 (UTC)

Secret Maryo has a poisonous mushroom... if they break the rules, why not us? Also, bonus blocks already have varied behaviors. --Mathnerd314 04:23, 7 September 2008 (UTC)

create an enemy type that doesn't just walk straight into one direction, but does something different depending on Tux direction (ninja)
Is this a dupe of the Crystallo proposal for week 4? - sik0fewl 19:58, 15 May 2008 (UTC)
No, this enemy is intelligent (reacts to Tux) --Mathnerd314 20:43, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
General: Get rid of enemies stacking on top of each other
What does that mean? —octo 07:45, 9 March 2010 (UTC)
I'm not sure if this issue still exists, but when one badguy falls on top of another and can't move left or right he will get stuck on top. - sik0fewl 16:53, 19 March 2010 (UTC)
General: Do something about the walking speed, feels wrong at the moment, maybe a bit slower
Mr. Bomb: let the fuse burn after one touched it
Flying Snowball: Remove randomness, should be periodic and predictable
Flying Snowball: Change timings to match that of Milestone1
Flying Snowball: smoke effect for the motor seem to be to seldomly triggered
Icecrusher: gravitation instead of linear, facial expression, maybe screen shaking

Gravitation has been done in revision 6403. —octo 19:19, 26 February 2010 (UTC)

Krosh (big icecrusher): add a larger version of Krush (the icecrusher), twice the size (4x4 files)

Postpone to Milestone 3

These are items that can be postponed until milestone 3, but are still welcome for milestone 2.
Code Tasks

separate lisp reader, tinygettext and other libraries properly out of SuperTux

optimize the build process, building SuperTux currently takes ages (I don't see how we could speed it up..., MatzeB)

SuperTux should stand on the ground when a level starts, not fall down (move all spawnpoints to 1 tile above ground)
just needs to get committed from ctdabomb's clone
fix console command set_game_speed() so that it doesn't slow down the console

Other

create SuperTux .xo Activity for OLPC (Grumbel)
Have particle throwing starting enemies (fireflower like)
ctdabomb

Postby stked » 26 Apr 2012, 18:41

I can take care of the music compression. IIRC, -q5 achieves transparency for 44.1KHz, 16-bit sounds.
Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Postby stked » 26 May 2012, 20:31

Compressed a few songs. Vorbis comments are left untouched.
Attachments
music.7z
-q5 music
(6.85 MiB) Downloaded 392 times

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Postby ctdabomb » 31 May 2012, 20:57

stked {l Wrote}:Compressed a few songs. Vorbis comments are left untouched.

thanks. it is now in my clone and soon will (hopefully) be pushed to the main repo. do you think you will have any more music soon
ctdabomb

Postby stked » 01 Jun 2012, 22:09

Got some more done.
All of the songs previously above 160 kbps have been compressed to 150 kbps or less.
Attachments
music2.7z
-q5 OGG's
(12.47 MiB) Downloaded 384 times

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked