Weekly Gameplay Challenges

Weekly Gameplay Challenges

Postby Snooz » 02 Jan 2023, 21:07

Hello fellow SuperTuxers, I'm Snooz. I've been playing SuperTux since like 2007, and I currently hold multiple speedrun World Records in this game.

For 2023, I am launching a concept that I've already hosted before: Weekly Gameplay Challenges.

However this time, I've gathered a team of experienced players to assist me, and there's a reward for anyone to claim!

It will all be happening in the official SuperTux Discord server: https://discord.gg/AcvtHWz

The first challenge is to be announced next Monday: Jan 9th, 2023.

Here is a copy-paste of the announcement made in the SuperTux server:

What are weekly Gameplay Challenges (WGC)?

WGCs are the weekly occasion for every SuperTux player to show off their skill level.

Any WGC is of the following format:

- Objective : Finish [selected official (or addon) level] with [selected restriction/task]

They always come with a hard mode, which adds an additional restriction/task to the normal mode.

There are some rules to be eligible for victory :

1) The version to use is 0.6.3 -> no nightlies, mods, etc.

2) No modification of the level, or files of the game (images, audios, etc.) are allowed

3) The level must be done in a single segment, and the video proof must show the entire run.

4) Having Developer Mode enabled is okay, but no instance of Cheat Menu / Debug Menu are allowed during the run.

5) Unless stated in the challenge, you are allowed to start the level with any powerup, with any amount of it, and collect them throughout the level.

A WGC lasts for a week, Monday to Monday, and it is the duration you dispose to complete it.

What do I win if I complete the challenge?

The standard reward for completing a challenge is a shoutout at the end of the week, along with every victor.

However, you can get a cooler, special reward if you manage to do one of these 2:

- Winner Claim : have the fastest completion of the level while doing the challenge in hard mode. If no one has completed hard mode, the victor with the fastest completion of normal mode is the winner.

- Consistent Victor Claim : be a victor for 4 weeks back-to-back, with at least 2 completions in hard mode.

(Note : WGCs that were hosted prior to 2023 don't count)

The special reward is : having me making and posting a speedrun of any level of your choice.

It can be a level of your making if you want to promote it, a very hard level if you want to challenge me, etc.

(If your level is too hard and I can't deliver a proper speedrun in 3 hours, I'll publish a segmented run, or at least show something cool I found)

If the winner of a challenge is also the winner of the challenge of the week that follows, then the Winner Claim will pass to the next fastest victor in hard mode (normal mode if no hard mode completion).

This is to avoid the same person winning the reward every week.

I have completed this week's challenge, how do I submit a challenge completion?

The classic way of submitting is in my Discord DMs, as a video file if you can, or as a YouTube video. If you upload it on YouTube, be sure to put it as unlisted if you want to keep your strategies private. (you are not obligated to but it will increase your chances of winning, as others won't be able to copy you)

You can also share your submission in the thread created for the challenge, but be aware that other challengers will be able to use your strats to their advantage.

Either of these 2 ways of submitting is fine, and if it's a valid completion I will inform that you have completed the challenge in the thread.

Note that I am the only judge when it comes to WGCs and it's always up to me if your submission is a valid victory or not.

I have ideas for a cool WGC, can I submit them?

Better than that, you are encouraged to! Even if you don't participate yourself in WGCs. Suggestions are open to everyone, and we're always on the look for new ideas!

For that, you will have to DM me the level and the restriction/task of your challenge idea.

Note that if your idea ends up to inspire a WGC, the ladder will be slightly different than your original suggestion, and will be brought several weeks later.

This is to ensure no one knows about the challenge early, and everyone can participate to it in a fair way (including you).

If you're interested, hop in the SuperTux server! https://discord.gg/AcvtHWz
Snooz