You can try out Swimming!

You can try out Swimming!

Postby DevonST » 30 May 2020, 11:03

Swimming got merged into master.
Download the latest nightly or compile from source. You can find a test level in Contrib levels.

Report bugs to https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues
Last edited by DevonST on 05 Jun 2020, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Re: You can try out Swimming!

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 30 May 2020, 11:54

Wow!

I Didn't Try It But Now It Exists!
Cool!

Well, I Still Have One Question:

How Will This Affect Levels?

Just Wanting To Know.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Worldblender » 01 Jun 2020, 05:33

Well, this swimming feature looks like it's brand new, though I haven't tried it yet as of this writing. What method of control is used for swimming, I wonder?
Worldblender

Postby DevonST » 01 Jun 2020, 07:50

What method of control is used for swimming?

If Tux jumps into water, he automatically starts swimming. If you press nothing, Tux will slowly descend. If Tux touches ground underwater, he stands up and you can walk normally. Leaving the ground makes Tux swim again. While swimming, you can use the direction keys to move. If you stop holding a direction, Tux decelerates (as he does on ice).

What makes swimming special is that you can press JUMP to get a boost in the direction Tux is facing. Spamming the JUMP key allows you to swim gain hyper speed. Jumping out of water like a dolphin is also very fun!
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby Worldblender » 01 Jun 2020, 07:56

DevonST {l Wrote}:

If Tux jumps into water, he automatically starts swimming. If you press nothing, Tux will slowly descend. If Tux touches ground underwater, he stands up and you can walk normally. Leaving the ground makes Tux swim again. While swimming, you can use the direction keys to move. If you stop holding a direction, Tux decelerates (as he does on ice).

What makes swimming special is that you can press JUMP to get a boost in the direction Tux is facing. Spamming the JUMP key allows you to swim gain hyper speed. Jumping out of water like a dolphin is also very fun!

All that sounds exciting. Are there any levels (or there will be) where I can try this swimming feature, or will I have to make my own using the level editor?
Worldblender

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 01 Jun 2020, 10:40

Worldblender {l Wrote}:
DevonST {l Wrote}:

All that sounds exciting. Are there any levels (or there will be) where I can try this swimming feature, or will I have to make my own using the level editor?

Well The Top Post Did Say That There Is A Test Level In Contrib Levels.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby divVerent » 04 Jun 2020, 02:40

AWESOME! Tried it out by making an all-water level. Posted the level here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic ... 69&t=14011

First my complaints:

- It's weird how Tux suddenly turns around when the swim angle changes. The graphics really could be better. I do like this side view though, the swimming IS very penguin-like - just the angle flipping is odd. I wonder if swimming up/down should rather view Tux from behind (and look symmetrical), so that right...up...left becomes a smooth transition without any flipping.
- Swimming and jumping behaves weird at times. E.g. when walking, it's very hard to get to a state where you're almost at ground level but swimming sideways.

Then my praise:

- Plays really well. Easy to control.
- I love the accelerate-by-jump-button feature. Gives it an unique touch. Speed maybe should be limited more, but in general this is great.
- I love even more that fast-swimming can activate blocks in any direction. PLEASE KEEP! Gives small Tux buttstomp-like abilities.

Suggestions for further enhancement:

- Would be cool if there were a more direct way to make an all-water level than having a solid tilemap filled entirely with water tiles. Would also be nice to have water backgrounds, with animated fish on them or the like.
- Can we have a 3/4 time signature (waltz) music track for water level usage? I kinda like the general sound of antarctic/jewels.ogg for water level usage, but I guess an unique composition with a similar feel and waltz-like would go a lot better.
divVerent

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 04 Jun 2020, 10:10

My Only Problem With This Is,
That Some Levels Could Be Baddly
Affected,
And It Ruins The Challenge.

So, That's Just My Complaint.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby divVerent » 04 Jun 2020, 11:24

I guess levels that lose their point over this should change their water tiles to lava tiles. Or just holes to fall in, maybe just darkened at the bottom.
divVerent

Postby E200 » 05 Jun 2020, 03:50

I think fire and ice balls should be fired in the direction Tux is swimming towards.

It is a little clunky swimming at the surface of water.
E200

Postby divVerent » 05 Jun 2020, 04:14

Quickly slapped this together as a starting point for underwater level music (based on SuperTux theme, transformed the way a certain other game solved this problem): http://rm.cloudns.org/~xonotic/temp/supertux-water.ogg (https://github.com/divVerent/divTrololo ... lolo/music)
divVerent

Postby Yona-TYT » 05 Jun 2020, 18:03

Wow, I am very happy to see that this is progressing, I will try as soon as I can!. :D :D :D

This is very nice! :cool:

Regards!. :)
Yona-TYT

Postby theXman63 » 11 Jun 2020, 01:27

Geez. Thank god it is now here!
theXman63

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 11 Jun 2020, 17:51

BTW,
This Feature Has Been Not Included For
Too Long,
I Guess It Didn't Go Into The Mind Of The Creators,
Until It Did...

Well Its Here Now.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Yona-TYT » 11 Jun 2020, 20:40

KiyanTheBluePenguin {l Wrote}:BTW,
This Feature Has Been Not Included For
Too Long,
I Guess It Didn't Go Into The Mind Of The Creators,
Until It Did...

Well Its Here Now.

About 2 years ago I asked about this, the answer was "it flies in about 5 years", but it takes less hehehe. :D
Yona-TYT

Postby theXman63 » 12 Jun 2020, 02:03

Also, some levels are now broken because of this new ability.

For example, in the level, lava lake from Hume's rainbow cave, you can cheat by spamming the jump key while invincible in the lava to make it easier
theXman63

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 12 Jun 2020, 15:48

theXman63 {l Wrote}:Also, some levels are now broken because of this new ability.

For example, in the level, lava lake from Hume's rainbow cave, you can cheat by spamming the jump key while invincible in the lava to make it easier

This Is What I Meant.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby divVerent » 12 Jun 2020, 22:21

Yeah, clearly some levels will need updating. I personally don't even like that one can swim in lava at all. Not that one should drown there either though... if it were real lava, it probably should be instant death.
divVerent

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 12 Jun 2020, 23:07

divVerent {l Wrote}:Yeah, clearly some levels will need updating. I personally don't even like that one can swim in lava at all. Not that one should drown there either though... if it were real lava, it probably should be instant death.

It Should Be Removed From Lava,
Because WHAT PENGUIN SWIMS IN LAVA?
ANSWER:
PROBALY NONE.
Ok,
This Is Isn't Just Me I Guess...
Huh.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Yona-TYT » 13 Jun 2020, 00:31

The most reasonable thing is "death to the penguin" when touching lava (as Mario forever does), regardless of whether it is large or uses hat.
Yona-TYT

Postby divVerent » 14 Jun 2020, 03:11

If we make lava instant death, the next question is, should this even apply during invincibility frames?

In particular the Mega Man game series said no to that, and allowed Mega Man to touch spikes after touching an enemy, but not when unhurt. Very odd. But understandable as having some hurt triggers work despite invincibility frames is an odd special case, coding wise.
divVerent

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 14 Jun 2020, 09:54

divVerent {l Wrote}:If we make lava instant death, the next question is, should this even apply during invincibility frames?

In particular the Mega Man game series said no to that, and allowed Mega Man to touch spikes after touching an enemy, but not when unhurt. Very odd. But understandable as having some hurt triggers work despite invincibility frames is an odd special case, coding wise.

Yeah,
Invincibility frames should be what they are telling.
They make You invincible against everything,
so lava counts too.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby Yona-TYT » 14 Jun 2020, 16:38

KiyanTheBluePenguin {l Wrote}:
divVerent {l Wrote}:If we make lava instant death, the next question is, should this even apply during invincibility frames?

Yeah,
Invincibility frames should be what they are telling.
They make You invincible against everything,
so lava counts too.

It seems reasonable to me.
Yona-TYT

Postby divVerent » 15 Jun 2020, 19:24

So should invincibility frames make you invincible against getting squished or against falling into the endless void?

In most games, invincibility frames (or stars, for that matter) do not help against instant death, with the Mega Man series being the exception.
divVerent