Feedback from a First Time Player

Feedback from a First Time Player

Postby tempAnon093 » 24 Dec 2019, 14:23

Hi all, I've just downloaded and played 0.6.1 for a few days. Here are some of the things that I have found. (I have not yet checked to see if these are known issues)

Firstly, the game is really fun! The rest of this post may sound negative, but that's not because I didn't have fun :) it's just because fixing issues is the most important way to make sure new players have a great time.

1) The single biggest turn-off for me is the loss of progress after checkpoints. If I uncover every secret, collect every coin and destroy every badguy, then die after a checkpoint, I lose all that progress. For longer levels, this is very annoying.

2) It took about half a minute to discover how to use fireballs and couldn't even understand the backflip sign until I did one by accident three levels later, to me it appeared to say 'press up and down directional (arrow) keys', rather than 'crouch and jump'. Could ST detect input device (e.g. keyboard) and display the actual current keybindings?

3) During my first play of Welcome to Antarctica (tutorial), I fell into a spike pit before reaching the Fire Flower info box and as a result, it gave me an egg. This was slightly confusing. If this is considered an issue, a second fire flower powerup in that same row of boxes could be used to ensure a fire flower will appear in that row.

A similar thing happened with the first Glide Flower in Above The Clouds. This is especially important because it comes after a checkpoint, so it is easily possible to be have no egg powerup when first reaching it.

4) The options menu shows left and right arrows for settings such as volume. Pressing the left arrow increases the value (tested on Windows). Either make the arrow a button to change value in the correct direction, or just remove the arrows.

5) In one of the levels (The Crystal Mine, I think?) there are green dots which move towards you to attack. Whenever I was hit, I was teleported to its origin, which usually resulted in lava damage. The first or second one teleported me under the collapsible blocks before the collapsed, causing an inescapable lava death despite me having fire flower powerup.

6) Moving around the overworld to select levels can take a long time, especially things like sailing back to the mainland. It's nice for it to be a long time the first time, but after that, it becomes annoying.

Apart from this, the levels were mostly fun and challenging. It's a great game and I will happily keep playing. I felt that the Halloween levels were particularly fun due to the amount of items placed as well as some of the community island levels due to their inventiveness.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Feedback from a First Time Player

Postby DevonST » 25 Dec 2019, 12:03

This really is some valuable feedback!

1) I’ve always seen this as intentional to make completing a level by 100% more challenging. But in theory the game could keep track of the enemies killed, coins collected and secrets found and don’t completely reset it on every respawn.

2) The backflip sign issue is known: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/417 Maybe you can create an issue on GitHub to allow scripts to look up the key an action is bound to and allow info boxes to use variables.

3) I quickly made a pull request: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/pull/1298

4) I can’t confirm this on Linux.

5) I agree that the current usage of Will-o-wisps is not fair. I think Will-o-wisps should either
- send you to a previous place in the level
- send you somewhere dangerous but escapable without taking damage.
- prevent you from getting to a secret area (the area gets blocked with a hit script).

6) Known issue: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/1036
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby Wuzzy » 25 Dec 2019, 21:42

1) The single biggest turn-off for me is the loss of progress after checkpoints. If I uncover every secret, collect every coin and destroy every badguy, then die after a checkpoint, I lose all that progress. For longer levels, this is very annoying.

Git gud. :p
100% completion is NOT a walk in the park. This is by design. Note it's not neccessary to complete levels perfectly to proceed. So checkpoints are still useful.

5) In one of the levels (The Crystal Mine, I think?) there are green dots which move towards you to attack. Whenever I was hit, I was teleported to its origin, which usually resulted in lava damage. The first or second one teleported me under the collapsible blocks before the collapsed, causing an inescapable lava death despite me having fire flower powerup.

These are the willow wisps. They are not your friends. Stay away from them. That having said, one of the info blocks somewhere should have included a warning about them.

About 2, 4 and 6: I agree. Good for pointing out usability issues. This is very valuable input as you are a 1st-time player. :)

Greetings, Wuzzy.
-- Just a normal ST player.
Wuzzy

Postby SuperTux20 » 26 Dec 2019, 00:10

I'm having issue #4 as well (I'm on Windows 10). Both arrows move the option is the same direction.
They don't call me Chickenmeister for nothing, bub.
SuperTux20

Postby tempAnon093 » 26 Dec 2019, 07:53

That's a fair point for 1), 100% completion should be a challenge. As annoying as it is, I agree with both of you that it's the right decision.

It's good to see 2) is already known, thank you very much for helping fix 3) :) @DevonST

I didn't realise 4) was actually intended behaviour. An infobox would be good due to their unexpected behaviour, or maybe even a visual cue to show you are being moved away on purpose. I have a feeling that my issue with an inescapable fall was in a community level, not a story one so it's not a major issue.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Dec 2019, 11:08

Who said that number 4 is intentional?
<insert confused face here>
Wuzzy

Postby tempAnon093 » 26 Dec 2019, 12:58

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Who said that number 4 is intentional?
<insert confused face here>

Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing. I did not originally realise they were meant to teleport Tux, so I thought that was an issue. That part was intentional.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093