"Themes" menu idea

"Themes" menu idea

Postby SuperTux20 » 21 Dec 2019, 02:00

What if there were a "themes" menu? If someone wanted to re-skin SuperTux, they could do so and use it in-game. It would work a bit like Minecraft's resource packs screen, the default files would be at the bottom and you could stack more -- possibly incomplete -- themes on top, using the default as a fallback for missing files. You could download themes from the Add-ons manager just like you would for a level pack.

For example, say somebody makes a theme that switches the roles of Tux and Penny, but there are no files other than for their sprites and "speech" sounds used in the story mode, and someone else makes a theme that makes the creatures more Mario-like while retaining the aesthetic of SuperTux. You could put the Mario theme on, then the Tux-Penny-Swap theme on top of that, using both themes at once.

Or maybe it could be easier to test out new sprites as Alzter makes them?

To be honest, though, the entire reason I bring this up is because... I made a theme :lol: Right now I just have a batch script that switches them.
Attachments
full-1.png
"?" Block
full-1.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
left-3.png
Mr. Bomb
left-3.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
left-0.png
Flying Xikoli- er... "Snowball"
left-0.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
They don't call me Chickenmeister for nothing, bub.
SuperTux20

Re: "Themes" menu idea

Postby SuperTux20 » 27 Dec 2019, 23:35

I just had another, similar idea for a submenu of the add-ons menu. It would be for code changes like how there are mutations for Goat Simulator in the Steam Workshop. For example, a "mutation" that would allow Tux to double jump, or change how an enemy behaves, or tweak the Level Editor. Perhaps the menu could have rejected feature ideas that didn't make it into the game because they made the game too easy/hard. People could submit their code projects for addition into the base game.
They don't call me Chickenmeister for nothing, bub.
SuperTux20