Help remaking LoS engine using Urho 3D

Help remaking LoS engine using Urho 3D

Postby LiamM32 » 05 Aug 2017, 22:22

I have figured that Urho3D will be a good way to rewrite Lips of Suna for better performance and ease of modification. I have found 2 people on the Urho3D forums that are interested in Lips of Suna, which is interesting given how little I see here. A week ago, I started this topic on the Urho3D forums about this remake.

But I would love to have someone to jump in and contribute, especially to write the first lines. Given my inexperience in C/C++ or any complex programming, it would be very difficult for me to do the first step, and I will likely do a worse job than someone else.

The current task is to remake the [i[engine[/i] using Urho. Urho isn't a ready-made game engine, but it provides the parts to construct your own dedicated engine. The people I talked to on the Urho forums (the ones interested in LoS) believe that it makes the most sense to first make it work with the existing LuaJIT codebase of either LoS 0.5.0 or 0.8.0. Later on, I think it should be rewritten in Angelscript. Another early goal can be to recreate the main menu.

If you want to help with this first part, you can go discuss this on the Urho3D forums topic
https://discourse.urho3d.io/t/help-remaking-lips-of-suna-engine-with-urho3d/3396
LiamM32

Re: Help remaking LoS engine using Urho 3D

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Aug 2017, 23:52

Great idea! Keep it up!
P.S. actually I liked 0.5.0 version best. It had a cool start location, lootable environment, several NPCs and quests, paperdoll inventory, cool lighting system, really overwhelming, but completely innavigatable 3D environment... You can still grab a compiled version here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lipsof ... una/0.5.0/ (however, I don't remember if I played it on Linux or Windows). UPD: I played it on Windows.
eugeneloza

Postby Julius » 06 Aug 2017, 18:11

So my hint to look into Urho3D turned out to be a good idea :)

Sadly I am as clueless as anyone when it comes to engine programming (I am lucky to find the time to hack away at some quake1 mod code base), but I think this is a great opportunity to revive this project!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Oct 2017, 16:10

any updates?
Julius
Community Moderator