Development focus

Development focus

Postby amuzen » 26 Nov 2010, 19:43

For visiting this thread, you have been granted 20 development points that you can assign to the many possible development focuses of Lips of Suna. By assigning development points to a development focus, you can increase the rate of development of that aspect of the game.

Please, distribute your 20 development points over the following development focuses:

_ Multiple playable races
_ Monsters
_ Side quests
_ Main quest
_ Merchants and trading
_ Spells and combat arts
_ World map
_ Minigames
_ Multiplayer
_ Character customization
_ Items
_ Graphics
_ Crafting
_ Destructible environments
_ Achievements and statistics
_ Breasts

In other words, copy the list and replace the underscores with numbers between 0 and 9 so that the total is 20. Post the prioritized list as a reply to this thread. If you haven't tested the game yet, you can still answer based on what aspects of the action RPG genre you enjoy in general. You're also free to post free form ideas and feedback in addition.

To elaborate the situation a bit, the project is currently at the point that a large portion of the foundation work has been done and it's possible to get more serious about the gameplay and content. Each item in the list is a feasible candidate for the next thing to improve. The situation is looking quite good in the technical level with so many important things being doable.

However, with such a long list of options, deciding what to do next can be somewhat overwhelming without a second opinion. Since a couple of people have been showing some interest lately and since it's always fun to hear opinions of people, I chose to try my luck with this surveying idea instead of deciding with a d16. Let's see how this works. :)
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Re: Development focus

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Nov 2010, 20:05

1 Multiple playable races
4 Monsters
4 Side quests
5 Main quest
2 Merchants and trading
2 Spells and combat arts
1 World map
_ Minigames
_ Multiplayer
_ Character customization
_ Items
_ Graphics
_ Crafting
1 Destructible environments
20 Breasts
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 27 Nov 2010, 07:28

Thank you, that looks quite clear cut in that quests dominate and combat related things such as monsters and combat arts are in the second place. That means that, until other people chime in, I'll start by working on the design and implementation of the first part of the main quest. Modeling the special quest characters and writing the dialog will hopefully keep me busy for a few days. I'll announce any interesting developments here and periodically recheck the priorities based on the status of the survey.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby charlie » 27 Nov 2010, 21:50

2 Monsters
5 Side quests
5 Main quest
_ Merchants and trading
2 Spells and combat arts
_ World map
_ Minigames
_ Multiplayer
2 Character customization
2 Items
_ Graphics
1 Crafting
1 Destructible environments
20 Breasts
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 03 Dec 2010, 14:07

I have been working on quests a bit since they seem to be in demand indeed and they happen to be one of the easiest and most fun tasks at the same time. I find it a lot of fun to think about the lore and the personalities of the characters so I think I'm going to stick to it for a little longer.

So far I have scripted two new (and still somewhat incomplete) quests: the first part of the main quest and a side quest that's loosely related to the main quest. I also coded a quest compass since it turned out that finding the randomly placed quests was nigh impossible without one.

losquest4.jpg
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby charlie » 03 Dec 2010, 14:43

Plus the quests will be the focal point of the game. Everything else is depth. New quests = most compelling reason to try the next release.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 25 Dec 2010, 18:30

Let's celebrate the season's favorite sock fetishist with a status update. I'm currently doing a design marathon, as my goal to identify and design everything needed by the project to leave the pre-alpha stage and enter alpha. So far it's just a couple of days that I have been doing this but the results are already quite impressive, I think.

I have cleaned up and fact-checked most of the existing articles in the project wiki and written several new ones. The lore and game mechanism sections have been expanding impressively. I'm especially pleased with the direction the lore is heading since it seems to be offering lots of great opportunities to discuss interesting subjects such as identity, humanity, morality, and existence from fun angles.

As the lore is getting more complete, designing quests is getting easier and easier. There's now a stockpile of designs for 8 side quests and 2 parts of the main quest. The main quest still needs some more work but after a few more parts there should be enough quest content designed for that not to become the blocker for a while.

Since I still have over a week of time left to dedicate to design, I expect the plans for the alpha milestone to be very clear and concise when I get back to implementing things again. Based on the current outlook, I think that it should be rather easy to reach the alpha stage in 2011 if a few contributors emerge to help with the content creation side. For me alone it would be a fair bit tougher, though probably still within the real of possibility.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby ad_user » 25 Feb 2011, 14:55

I'm here, as promised. IMHO:

_ Monsters
4 Side quests
4 Main quest
_ Merchants and trading
4 Spells and combat arts
2 World map
_ Minigames
2 Multiplayer
1 Character customization
_ Items
_ Graphics
3 Crafting
_ Destructible environments
+inf Breasts

Breasts - it's always good move. ©
ad_user

Postby charlie » 25 Feb 2011, 23:45

One thing I'd really like to see is, er, make it less blocky. Blocks can be a fundamental thing to base pretty graphics mechanisms around, but the big-cube-block world really ruins any kind of immersion for me.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ad_user » 26 Feb 2011, 04:17

It's already done. See git logs near 22-24/02/2011.
ad_user

Postby charlie » 26 Feb 2011, 04:34

Nice. I'm quite eager to try out 0.2.2 now!
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator