Modding LoS

Modding LoS

Postby charlie » 20 Sep 2013, 21:05

I'm trying to convince one of the DungeonHack guys (the main graphics contributor - example) to test his stuff in LoS.

Musk-of-Ephesus: "0.6.0 Added cel-shading and outline rendering I'm wondering if that is possible to disable? I've been working on some dungeon pieces just to get a better understanding of how a generic kit works and what pieces are fundamental, but I need a game environment in order to test my work. So if I can get 0.7.0 downloaded and run the editor I'll give it a shot."

He did try working with LoS before. Also here's the dungeon pieces he is talking about.

Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: Modding LoS

Postby amuzen » 20 Sep 2013, 22:58

Well, I personally wouldn't recommend modding LoS at this point if you're not intending to improve the game itself somehow. Not because it wouldn't be possible to do a lot of things, but because doing a lot of things that LoS itself doesn't need can be hard and frustrating. For example, disabling cel-shading requires you to write some GLSL shader code, and placing 3D models on a uniform grid requires some Lua coding. You'll likely also need a lot of patience since many things, such as the editor, are broken at the moment, and I can only fix things so fast.

That said, if you work on stuff that is plausibly useful to LoS itself, you won't have to write any code if you don't want to. If you contribute your creations to LoS, you don't actually even need to integrate it at all yourself. In that case, it'll just magically appear in-game in a few days after you have submitted it for inclusion. :p

Anyway, in this specific case, I'd say that something like Blender Game Engine would probably be a less painful approach. If he can live with cel-shading and wait for the editing features to get fixed, LoS might be an option too.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby charlie » 21 Sep 2013, 00:35

I get that overall; but consider specifically the cell shading does massively reduce the potential for others to use LoS. Just a consideration that a more boring/normal shader may open up more possibilities.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 21 Sep 2013, 11:17

I know that I'm a pain in this respect, but I'm not going to develop things that aren't needed by LoS itself, not even things that would be pretty easy to do in practice (like adding shaders). I can document how to do them in general because that's useful to LoS itself, but that's as far as I'm ready to go.

To put it even more bluntly, I'm not going to write other people's games for them. It would be a course with no end so it's better to me to just keep totally clear of it.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby andrewj » 22 Sep 2013, 04:39

amuzen {l Wrote}:I know that I'm a pain in this respect, but I'm not going to develop things that aren't needed by LoS itself, not even things that would be pretty easy to do in practice (like adding shaders).

That is completely reasonable -- you are developing a game, not a general purpose engine, and every additional feature, however small, has its cost (coding, testing, documenting, and maintaining that feature into the future).
andrewj

Postby Musk-of-Ephesus » 22 Sep 2013, 07:03

I can use UDK for testing, its easier then I remembered. Based off this post by freegamer (http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/foru ... 906#p12906) One of my goals is to create a kind of general asset or basic building blocks starter kit for procedurally generated games like Dungeonhack was supposed to be. Truthfully though, I haven't been very active. I need to upload my work to http://opengameart.org/users/musk-of-ephesus and once I do you're more then welcome to use it. :)
Musk-of-Ephesus

Postby Julius » 22 Sep 2013, 13:42

Hmm, I really don't see to getting very far just creating something with no specific purpose and tinkering with UDK.

How about making something that is compatible with SummoningWars ( http://sumwars.org/ )? I see no problem in making it compatible to both 1st person and top down games, and it would increase the re-usablility. One guy behind SumWars is currently working on an Level editor, so they would certainly appreciate the art tiles for it.
Julius
Community Moderator