Sound Contributions

Re: Sound Contributions

Postby qubodup » 05 Nov 2013, 15:37

No new sounds, just a few comments about current sounds. Nothing high priority. :)

The assign/remove hotkey (number) sound is too loud and should be at most 0.5 the current volume.

The fireball cast sound could be used for the fire damage cast sound (perhaps at higher pitch range, assuming fire damage is cuter/friendlier/less dangerous).

When selecting an item submenu, the sound seems to be double the volume. it is probably played back twice.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 06 Nov 2013, 22:18

qubodup {l Wrote}:The assign/remove hotkey (number) sound is too loud and should be at most 0.5 the current volume.

Yep, fixed.

qubodup {l Wrote}:The fireball cast sound could be used for the fire damage cast sound (perhaps at higher pitch range, assuming fire damage is cuter/friendlier/less dangerous).

I'm not sure which way you intended the burning/fire damage/firewall spells to work exactly, but I tried to do something about them. At least they all have a casting sound of some kind now.

qubodup {l Wrote}:When selecting an item submenu, the sound seems to be double the volume. it is probably played back twice.

Indeed, it was played back twice. Fixed now.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby qubodup » 09 Dec 2013, 02:35

I thinks the current shortcut icons sound great for when the action is performed. Better than during the shortcut binding/unbinding management action.

I suggest the following:
1. play back current bind-item-shortcut1.flac when a shortcut is successfully used to equip or replace an item*
2. play back current clear-item-shortcut1.flac when a shortcut is successfully used to unequip something*
3. use the bind and clear from http://opengameart.org/content/item-shortcut-sound-pack respectively
4. use error from above pack when a shortcut is used unsuccessfully

* Besides being played back in-game, they could also be played back instead of the current standard menu-progression sound when equipped/unequipped in the menu.

PS: For humanoid screams testing or maybe even final use, jCRPG's voices in jClassicRPG/media/audio/sound/ai/humanoid could be used. Some of them seem to be cc-by-sa3, others were sampling+ but are now distributed under cc-by3 on freesound. It's quite a collection to go through though.

PPS: I made http://opengameart.org/content/wisdom-magic when thinking about what kind of sounds could be played when the obelisks are 'activated' the first time and additional times.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 11 Dec 2013, 17:16

qubodup {l Wrote}:I suggest the following:
1. play back current bind-item-shortcut1.flac when a shortcut is successfully used to equip or replace an item*
2. play back current clear-item-shortcut1.flac when a shortcut is successfully used to unequip something*
3. use the bind and clear from http://opengameart.org/content/item-shortcut-sound-pack respectively
4. use error from above pack when a shortcut is used unsuccessfully

Done. Works quite well in practice, I think.

qubodup {l Wrote}:* Besides being played back in-game, they could also be played back instead of the current standard menu-progression sound when equipped/unequipped in the menu.

I'll do this when I'll start working on the UI improvements. The menu sounds are mostly fixed at the moment so playing different sounds in different situations will require a few changes there.

qubodup {l Wrote}:PS: For humanoid screams testing or maybe even final use, jCRPG's voices in jClassicRPG/media/audio/sound/ai/humanoid could be used. Some of them seem to be cc-by-sa3, others were sampling+ but are now distributed under cc-by3 on freesound. It's quite a collection to go through though.

Hard to say yet whether the humanoid sounds are particularly fitting in terms of style or whether they cover the right things. Some could perhaps be tested as placeholders, but I think that it's still a bit too early to try to integrate them.

Many of the monster sounds are really cool, though. They'll certainly be useful once more monsters have been added. I'll keep the link in mind.

qubodup {l Wrote}:PPS: I made http://opengameart.org/content/wisdom-magic when thinking about what kind of sounds could be played when the obelisks are 'activated' the first time and additional times.

Added. Good idea to add sounds to the obelisk.
amuzen
LoS Moderator