alternative player model [wip]

Re: alternative player model [wip]

Postby amuzen » 17 Aug 2013, 15:27

Julius {l Wrote}:A suggestion: Instead of painting the facial features in like this, how about making them an texture overlay like some of the cloth and thus allow for some easy variations in face style and maybe even for some simple facial expressions or at least some idle animations like eye blinking?

It's already done this way in-game. The facial features actually need to be erased from the base texture because of that, but it's so easy that I didn't think that it's worth complaining about.

gruntunbur {l Wrote}:There is a problem with completely flat and animating the breast, it sort of fails. Could of course adjust the weight with the shape key in code or something. Flat==no breast bone effect.

That can be fixed programmatically so you only need to make the animations work for the largest size. Scripts will be able to dampen or completely disable the animation for smaller sizes.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 17 Aug 2013, 15:42

cool
gruntunbur

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2013, 15:01

amuzen {l Wrote}:
Julius {l Wrote}:A suggestion: Instead of painting the facial features in like this, how about making them an texture overlay like some of the cloth and thus allow for some easy variations in face style and maybe even for some simple facial expressions or at least some idle animations like eye blinking?

It's already done this way in-game. The facial features actually need to be erased from the base texture because of that, but it's so easy that I didn't think that it's worth complaining about.

Maybe these anime facial expressions I did a while ago are helpful for LoS then:
http://opengameart.org/content/vector-a ... xpressions

They are in a vector format, so modifying them for different facial styles should be easy.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 09 Sep 2013, 21:02

Julius {l Wrote}:Maybe these anime facial expressions I did a while ago are helpful for LoS then:
http://opengameart.org/content/vector-a ... xpressions

They are in a vector format, so modifying them for different facial styles should be easy.

Neat, I really like these! I definitely want to integrate them once the new player model itself has been integrated properly.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 19 Sep 2013, 16:45

semi cleaned the new blend files
[idle2 animation not working with scale]
-----
update the files again, more proper cleaning of earbody1.blend (removed custom bone shapes )
and added 2 test animation they should show that the feet and its -sort of- complicated setup don't work as intended ingame
Attachments
anims1.blend
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 795 times
aerbody1.blend
(804.82 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
Last edited by gruntunbur on 21 Sep 2013, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
gruntunbur

Postby amuzen » 20 Sep 2013, 21:10

Scaling should work in the idle animation now. I also added some new animation blending features while fixing the issue, so animations may behave a bit differently in-game than before. Some of the animations, especially the currently missing ones, may require their priorities to be tuned in scripts to behave as expected, but it should be relatively easy to do now.

Some missing animations that would be useful to remake: throwing grenades/boomerang, flinch (after taking damage), blocking with a shield, casting a spell, attacking with a bow/crossbow/revolver/musket/two-handed weapon (each requires a different animation), holding a crossbow/musket/two-handed weapon.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 24 Sep 2013, 15:09

WIP file for new animations. Use it to overwrite the animations exported from anims1.blend
Attachments
anims_alt.blend
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 856 times
gruntunbur

Postby amuzen » 30 Oct 2013, 20:37

Good job on the animations! I finished integrating those of them that can be driven by the existing game logic. I also added a few placeholder animations to cover the most disturbing gaps that remained in the animation set. The animations can be found from actors/aer/anims1.blend, in case you or someone else would like to work on them some more.
amuzen
LoS Moderator