Update to support OGRE 1.10 & Bullet 2.86

Update to support OGRE 1.10 & Bullet 2.86

Postby LiamM32 » 18 Jun 2017, 00:27

I have recently been updating Lips of Suna to build with OGRE 1.10 and Bullet 2.86. I started doing this because these are the only versions of OGRE and Bullet available from the Manjaro repositories at the moment. But I also wanted to give Lips of Suna the performance improvements that come from OGRE 1.10.
I have committed my changes to a forked repository;
https://gitlab.com/electric-gecko/lipsofsuna

Although it builds without errors, I have been having trouble running it.
In the folder on my computer in which I was previously working on this, it would build successfully, but the program would segfault immediately when executing. Here is the output as I posted on this thread
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[liam@liam-desktop-Manjaro lipsofsuna-xenodora]$ ./lipsofsuna
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I don't know why Lips of Suna is trying to access JACK. I don't have it currently running.

However, I had to clone the git repository, so I had to make a new folder for the project on my computer. After copying some files from the old folder to the new one, a different problem happens. If I compile it here, it puts the lipsofsuna executable in .build/ rather than the base directory. I can't run it from there, as it wouldn't be able to access the data/ directory. If I move it to the base and execute it, I have the same error as above.

It would be nice if someone could help me with this.

I should note that I have not yet removed the deprecated OGRE functions. I want to get it working before I do that.
LiamM32

Re: Update to support OGRE 1.10 & Bullet 2.86

Postby charlie » 19 Jun 2017, 09:57

Good to see you persevere with this. LoS is a project packed with potential, it just needs somebody pushing it.

The more you work with it, the more you'll understand these things. Sadly I can't offer an specific help/advice at the moment.

Also GitLab seems to be down which sucks - hopefully temporary!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 19 Jun 2017, 11:39

Gitlab works for me now.

I agree it is a cool project that should continue... but the spaghetti code that seems to plague all ogre3d projects (see also SumWars, Stunt-Rally etc.) is just too strong it seems. The idea of Orge3D to be just a rendering engine and doing that well sounds good on paper, but for real continued game development you need a game engine. Most Ogre3D based projects seem to fail because it is just too much maintenance effort to keep everything together, resulting in what basically boils down to maintaining your own game engine project next to the game itself.

Maybe it is worth looking for some existing Ogre3D based game engine projects and trying to port LoS over to it if at all feasible?

Edit: Seems like there isn't an activly maintained and freely licensed game-engine project based on Ogre3D... a shame really, but maybe symptomatic of the above. Might be worth a look into Urho3D though, which claims and looks by a quick glance reasonably close to the Ogre3D setup in LoS: https://urho3d.github.io/ For sure not an easy task to port it over though.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby LiamM32 » 19 Jun 2017, 20:52

Julius {l Wrote}:I agree it is a cool project that should continue... but the spaghetti code that seems to plague all ogre3d projects (see also SumWars, Stunt-Rally etc.) is just too strong it seems. The idea of Orge3D to be just a rendering engine and doing that well sounds good on paper, but for real continued game development you need a game engine. Most Ogre3D based projects seem to fail because it is just too much maintenance effort to keep everything together, resulting in what basically boils down to maintaining your own game engine project next to the game itself.

Is Ogre3D bad? I never would have known, as I know barely any programming. In fact, I don't really know what I'm doing as I'm trying to upgrade the Ogre and Bullet version; I'm just making adjustments to functions to work with the newer versions, although I don't actually know what they do.

I agree that the Lips of Suna codebase is a mess. If I had some help, I would want most of the codebase to be rewritten, at-least the Lua side. I don't like the awkward combination of Lua and C++. I would want Lua to be replaced with a real object-oriented language like Squirrel, MiniD, or Anglescript.

I'm interested in the D programming language. It has a goal to be readable, and if I have learned anything from struggling to understand the Lips of Suna codebase, it's that readability matters. If I could change the C++ codebase to D, I suppose that I would need a D-compatible engine. Dash might be fine, but the last commit was December 2015. The only game I see that uses it probably has no physics, so I guess I would need to add Bullet support myself. Voxelman has had it's last commit less than 2 months ago.

Julius {l Wrote}:Edit: Seems like there isn't an activly maintained and freely licensed game-engine project based on Ogre3D... a shame really, but maybe symptomatic of the above. Might be worth a look into Urho3D though, which claims and looks by a quick glance reasonably close to the Ogre3D setup in LoS: https://urho3d.github.io/ For sure not an easy task to port it over though.

Interesting, but far from my capabilities.

If you are a programmer, could you please help me with the issue that I am talking about in this thread? I have been getting a segfault, but I don't know what to do about it. If I use GDB than it freezes and I need to go to a separate session to enter "pkill gdb".
LiamM32