BSOD on startup with yesterday's git revision

BSOD on startup with yesterday's git revision

Postby whitecrow » 05 Feb 2012, 06:46

BSOD (0x000000f4) error EVERYTIME I launch lips of suna. I get command box with blinking cursor for a bit then BSOD every time. I found another forum post on a different forum with the exact same problem from someone near the end of the post. Last comment suggested that person's bsod might be caused by graphics card overheating but that doesn't seem to be the problem with mine as the temps are within normal temp range and I tried intel and amd cards and both same problem The problem ONLY occurs on my system when I launch LoS. I have checked and I am no longer getting any BSOD's on my laptop from anything else apart from LoS and the OS is fine I ONLY get it when launching LoS (and it's 100% recuring).

The other forums post with a user with same bsod message is http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/foru ... 2&start=15

going to try and get the last offical release (0.50) and see if that has same problem. will update after I do.

Update no problems with 0.50 on my laptop problem seems to be only with latest revisions on git. Was going to submit a bug report but can't find a bug tracker/issues equivelent on sourceforge. My setup is windows 7 x64 with amd 6770M video card or intel HD 3000 graphics.
whitecrow

Re: BSOD on startup with yesterday's git revision

Postby amuzen » 06 Feb 2012, 19:56

I'm afraid that this would be hard to fix since it doesn't occur here and there are no hints about why it'd happen. So far I can only conclude that it doesn't work on your setup. It's also hard to rule out problems with your setup since user space applications should never be able to BSOD a healthy system. The BSOD you're getting seems to typically relate to problems with drivers, hardware or the operating system.

If you can feel like having a few extra BSODs, you could help us narrow down the issue by performing some tests. Run them in the MSYS shell in the root directory of the game.

1. Make sure that you have created a directory called plugins/ in the directory where the executable is an copied Ogre's plugin and render system DLLs there. I know, it's not yet documented anywhere, but the Ogre version of the game is still very recent. If you haven't created it yet, do it now.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
mkdir -p plugins/
cp /local/bin/Plugin_*.dll /local/bin/RenderSystem_*.dll plugins/

2. Check if you can run the game with the --help parameter without crashing. It causes the game to exit without hardly doing anything so it should work unless things are really bad.

./lipsofsuna.exe --help

3. Check if you can run the game in the dedicated server mode. It'll do more things but never create the main window or initialize graphics. It should work if only graphics are causing issues.

./lipsofsuna.exe -S

4. Check if you can run the unit tests without crashing. It creates the main window and does some very light graphical tasks in the background. It should work if just initializing graphics isn't enough to bring your system down.

./lipsofsuna.exe unittest

5. After running the previous test, check if a file called render.log was created in the directory where you ran. Open it and check if there are any errors or warnings in it. Check that the OpenGL render system initialized successfully and that your GPU is detected correctly.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 07 Feb 2012, 01:43

step 1 done - np
step 2 bsod
step 3 bsod
step 4 bsod
step 5 no render log found in main lipsofsuna directory

all BSOD's almost identical address's with the final 6 digits of the last 3 addresses in brackets (last 4 digits of those addresses mostly) changing. One actual example is as follows
stop 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800ABC6B30, 0xFFFFFA800ABC6E10, 0xFFFFF80003D932D0)

I know lips of suna 0.50 works np and I know ogre uses opengl and correct me if I am wrong but 0.50's custom engine uses directx correct? Got a feeling that the problem might be related to the opengl drivers on my system so I am uninstalling all my intel HD and amd 6770m drivers now and installing them (the most recent versions available from manufacturer (HP)) now to see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks again for trying to help me even though this time LoS Code may or may not be at fault (to soon to tell either way but if it is LoS at least it will help with bugtracking hehe)
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 07 Feb 2012, 02:05

Lips has always used OpenGL; it wouldn't run on our linux boxes otherwise. The strange thing is, the 0.5 release was also known to BSOD someone's pc, but that was heat related, I think we figured out.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 07 Feb 2012, 03:17

well it's 0.50 is working fine on mine it's the lastest git revisions that's BSOD on mine and I just tried completely uninstalling my amd/ati 6770m drivers and disabling the 6770m completely and still got bsod I tried the above steps amuzen mensioned and bsod on those. I also tried running it in safe mode in windows and you guessed it BSOD. Strange thing is it's only LoS that causes a BSOD and it does it 100% of the time? Now trying to uninstall and reinstall the intel HD drivers to eliminate driver corruption on that side but I can't disable the intel HD completely or laptop won't work if it's disabled I have tried previously something to do with the ati and intel cards being muxed or demuxed or something.
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 07 Feb 2012, 05:05

If it fails on the --help flag, then it's not a gfx issue, as nothing gets rendered. That means that it must be threading code or something in the libraries :\ Going to take a while to fish out, and it will be hard do without the hardware; guess nekotaku/amuzen will have to implement some kind of instant-stack-trace to find out where exactly the problem originates
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 07 Feb 2012, 05:48

oh dear that sounds like alot of work and a major PITA :( not worth doing unless we can find some way to garentee it's a problem with LoS and NOT my laptop. I am almost certain it's a problem with the LoS code on my laptop but not sure if it is or ever will be repeatable on anyone else's laptop or computer in which case doing all that work on a stack-trace just to fix it on my laptop is not worth everyone's time. If however the problem however is a code issue that affects some ppl's computer and not just mine then it's a series bug in the LoS code and a stack track rewrite is probably called for yes. Is there someway we can tell which it is? God I hope it's just my laptop and not LoS code or you's a re going to have a hell of a time bugtracking and stack trace rewriting :(

PS I tried to attach a minidump from one of the BSOD events to this post but it doesn't allow dmp attachments so I had to winrar it
Attachments
020712-18579-01.rar
windows kernel mini dump from BSOD event when running LoS
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
whitecrow

Postby amuzen » 07 Feb 2012, 10:20

Since running with --help already gives you a BSOD, the graphics card or threading have nothing to do with it since neither are used. Only a few libraries are initialized at all, and none apart from Lua is used beyond that. If your system can BSOD with that little being done, there's certainly a problem at your end. I have run really broken code on my Windows XP without ever having a BSOD, and Windows 7 should be at least as stable, from what I have heard.

Whether there's also something wrong with the code or the build environment, it's impossible to tell if your system can't run the executable at all. Until you can get your computer to not BSOD, there isn't much we can do to help you get the game working.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 07 Feb 2012, 10:25

k sounds like I am at a dead end then as LoS seems to be the only thing to BSOD and it's 100% of the time so I can't NOT get it to BSOD so can't run LoS on the laptop aparently :( oh well thanks for everyone's time and effort anyway just have to go without till I get my new desktop system and hope to god that don't BSOD the newest LoS too. Thanks anyway to all involved looking forward to checking out the progress on LoS in the near future (fingers crossed).

UPDATE I just had a thought just to verify it is not a bad build on my end could someone send me download link a precompiled build of the latest LoS for me to test? a windows version that is (64bit windows but 32bit will work as well of course)
whitecrow

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 09:06

well I done a factory reset on my laptop to minimise the chances of a driver conflict on my end. I then extracted the lips of suna sdk and copied the old git I had downloaded back into it and this time when I try and run it doesn't BSOD but comes up with a popup window about can't start because libBulletCollision.dll is missing from my computer. So use cp /local/lib/*.dll ./lipsofsuna to copy the required dll's to the binary exe location then it says libcrypto.dll is missing the next time I try and run it? That's part of the openssl toolkit so I downloaded the openssl source and managed to sucessfully compile it and copy the dll's from that to LoS compiled exe's directory but then I got an appcrash when I ran LoS (see log below). Could someone provide me with a required dll's etc to run the compiled binary executeable of LoS as the build only compiles some of then (libbulletcollision.dll for eg) and doesn't put them in the same directory as the exe when it compiles and some (libcrypto.dll for example) it doesn't compile at ALL with the build. Seems the LoS SDK still needs some work with missing OpenSSL plus possible appcrash issue. Once I get all required library files or info on how to build them myself or a precompiled complete windows build I can then test the build again with my fresh install windows. Also as soon as I get my new desktop system I will do the same with it as well

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: lipsofsuna.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4f320cdb
Fault Module Name: libBulletCollision.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f2bfc3c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000631e8
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 4c0d
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: 4c0d
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Last edited by whitecrow on 08 Feb 2012, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2012, 10:36

Woah, Whitecrow, you need a medal for persistence! It /miiight/ be a lua bug, seems to be a couple of reports on that on the web. Will look into it more though.

EDIT:

Could you maybe try disabling one of the vid cards? Maybe the swapping is causing an error
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 10:38

lol you posed just as I edited my post please review the changes to it :) Also yes I can be persist sometimes that's a blessing sometimes a curse hehe sorry if I am bugging you just trying to help you's track down a possible issue and get a working copy to test myself :) If you don't want any further info from me that's cool I understand but I would be my pleasure to help you in any way I can :)
whitecrow

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 10:41

ok trying to disable external video card now and run on internal will post with results shortly

edit same thing appcrash log below should I try re-compiling bullet to see if it's a bad bullet dependancy build?

Fault Module Name: libBulletCollision.dll
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f2bfc3c
Exception Offset: 000631e8
Additional Information 1: 4c0d
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: 4c0d
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Last edited by whitecrow on 08 Feb 2012, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2012, 10:44

Crazy suggestion, but have you rebooted your pc after updating drivers?
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 10:45

trying reboot now brb

edit: reboot didn't help did same thing and after appcrash window it comes up with a 2nd popup window with the following message the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000005) click ok to close the application

should I rebuild bullet and try replacing the bullet library files and if so what version of bullet should I complile?
whitecrow

Postby amuzen » 08 Feb 2012, 10:53

Looks like I had compiled libcurl in my old build environment that had the OpenSSL libraries, but the new one doesn't have them. I hadn't noticed the dependency because I had some leftover DLLs in my LoS directory. I compiled a new version of libcurl that doesn't depend on OpenSSL. Extract the attached archive to the game directory and /local/bin/.

By the way, does the copy of Python included to the build environment work for you now or should I just remove it from the next version?
Attachments
libcurl-4.zip
(192.71 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 10:57

the included copy of python was never detected my gcc/mingw/msys on mine but whenever I installed the full python 2.7.1 package I had np then not sure why the included python never worked for me might just be pathing issue and checking libcurl now results shortly

edit appcrash with same message about fault module in libbulletcollion.dll again no difference but I did delete the libss.dll and libcrypto.dll before I ran the last test and it did NOT ask for libcryto again so you have removed dependancies on openssh from what I can see
Last edited by whitecrow on 08 Feb 2012, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2012, 10:59

I'm running bullet 2.79. How did you get it working last time?
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 11:03

I am using the bullet library included in the LoS SDK atm will check version and last time it didn't even give me appcrash or nothing it just waited at cursor for 10 secs roughly then BSOD but since factory reset I have gotten missing dll file messages then appcrashes

edit: checked and windows it's giving version info on the library files so not sure but like I said it's the ones included in the LoS SDK. Do you want me to build a new bullet from scratch?
whitecrow

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2012, 11:27

Nekotaku: Don't you have a dll lying around or something?

The LoS SDK? Or the Bullet SDK? (http://code.google.com/p/bullet/downloads/list)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 11:36

update !

1 step closer to tracking down the problem I compiled the bullet 2.79 myself and overwrite the LoS SDK's bullet libraries in the local/lib and LoS directories and I managed to get ./lipsofsuna.exe --help to work np but running lipsofsuna.exe without aurguments got the lips of suna window itself to show up and start up for the 1st time ever but then I got a different appcrash as shown below. Seems the LoS sdk has bad bullet libraries and as previously found out the libcurl included has openssh dependancies plus still getting a new appcrash so something still not right. Should I go ahead and recompile all dependancies from scratch and overwrite the LoS SDK remaining libraries and see if that fixes it? Also unittest argument seemed to work and -S got to 0% saving quests and 0% finishing and seemed to do nothing then.

Problem signature:
Fault Module Name: lipsofsuna.exe
Fault Module Timestamp: 4f320cdb
Exception Offset: 0005617c
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
whitecrow

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 13:36

I tried running the exe in windows itself bypassing mingw/msys and it came up saying alot of dll files are missing that it didn't say when launching in mingw so I copied all those files from all over the place into the compiled directory with the exe file and no longer got missing dll file message outside of windows but got appcrash again reguardless not long after LoS window pops up. I did notice that in mingw window or when launched in windows from 1 of the 2 popup windows it says info:loading scripts just before it gets appcrash if that's of any help to you's. Does this game have any redistributable dependancies in windows like .net framework 4 or vs 2010 redist c++ for eg.?
whitecrow

Postby amuzen » 08 Feb 2012, 14:38

Good, now the game or the libraries are crashing instead of your operating system. However, we don't know, why it's crashing. I added some instructions to our wiki on how to run the game in gdb and print the stack trace of the crash. If you could do that, we might be able to figure it out.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby whitecrow » 08 Feb 2012, 15:05

ok cool but it's midnight here and I am bushed I will go through those instructions and try and do a stack trace first thing tomorrow for you's thanks heaps for all your help in this matter also the gdb tutorial you liked on your trac is for unix only I think I will have to google tomorrow and try and find a windows tutorial
whitecrow

Postby amuzen » 08 Feb 2012, 16:19

Gdb works the same way in MinGW as it does in other platforms. Just run it in the MinGW shell and follow the instructions in the wiki page.
amuzen
LoS Moderator