Flash required to view screenshots on webpage (fixed)

Flash required to view screenshots on webpage (fixed)

Postby Wuzzy » 19 Oct 2013, 13:02

I complain about this webpage:
http://lipsofsuna.org/content/screenshots

On this page there are apparently screenshots. But not for me. This is because they have been implemented by using something which has to do with Adobe Flash. I would need Adobe Flash Player but I do not have this plugin installed in my browser and I do not wish to install it. Adobe Flash player is propritiary software and I therefore, I don’t want it. I hope this is justification enough on the FreeGameDev forums. ;)

Please rewrite this webpage so it does not involve any propritiary 3rd party plugin like Adobe Flash Player. I don’t know what exactly you wanted to achieve with Flash here so I can’t present you a drop-in replacement to that certain use case right now.
Last edited by Wuzzy on 18 Nov 2013, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
Wuzzy

Re: Flash required to view screenshots on webpage

Postby Julius » 19 Oct 2013, 14:29

It is an embedded picasa viewer, so that would require a complete change in how the pictures are shown. But I actually agree, it is totally unneeded ;)
On the other hand... as long as the game is Free in it self there isn't really a need to complain, and since our own blog runs on a non-Free platform we shouldn't be the first to throw stones...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 19 Oct 2013, 16:31

Thank you for your complaint. I'll try to come up with a solution at some point in the future.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 19 Oct 2013, 17:30

I searched the web a bit and found this:

Maybe Lightbox 2 is something you are looking for? I already stumpled upon it on several other web pages and is somewhat quite popular and well-tested.
Then I stumpled upon this awesome hack: http://csscience.com/responsiveslidercss3/. This page explains how to do a slideshow entirely in CSS3. :cool: I don’t know how applicable it is for real-world usage.
Either solution would of course require to host the images on your own server.

In the meantime, is it possible to simply post a direct link to the Picasa webalbum? I mean, without embedding and stuff. I find the Picasa webalbums extremely hard to search through; I didn’t find your webalbum there. :(
Wuzzy

Postby amuzen » 19 Oct 2013, 19:11

For now, you can view the same screenshots in the SourceForge project page. I guess that it's better to just direct you there instead of spreading links to the album if I'm going to retire it anyway.

I'll likely host the screenshots in the LoS website in the future since the guy who generously donates the server and bandwidth approves of the idea. If I'll get around toying enough with Drupal before the next release, I'll get rid of the Flash widget when I take the new screenshots. That should be the least effort.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Re: Flash required to view screenshots on webpage (fixed)

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Nov 2013, 00:57

Good, I just went to the website again and saw some screenshots. :)

Thanks. This fixes the problem.
Wuzzy