Lips of Suna 0.6.0 pre-release

Lips of Suna 0.6.0 pre-release

Postby amuzen » 18 May 2012, 07:30

I have just uploaded some files for the 0.6.0 pre-release of the game. The files include source code and a Windows binary created from the Git revision from yesterday. The instructions for compiling the source code can be found from our wiki or the README file inside the package.

The game has received very little testing as of late, despite there being an abundance of major changes since the last release. Hence, it would be great if people could give the pre-release a try and report back whether it worked. In particular, I am interested in knowing whether there is crashing, whether graphics work on different setups, and whether the Windows binary works in versions of Windows newer than XP.

If things go as planned, I'll release 0.6.0 once Linux Mint 13 is out and I have tested and packaged the game on it. Getting bug reports or confirmation on the pre-release working before that would help a lot with the release work.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Re: Lips of Suna 0.6.0 pre-release

Postby charlie » 20 May 2012, 21:46

I tested it and it ran fine-ish on mine. Looks great, but at 4fps it was kinda unplayable. That could be to do with the heavy usage of shaders and my laptop's graphics card (AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250).

I ran it Windowed on Windows 7.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 21 May 2012, 07:03

That's a worse slideshow than I expected. Did you try to turn off outline rendering and shadow casting in the options screen? That might help a bit, though most likely your GPU would need much lighter shaders to achieve a decent framerate. On the bright side, it's not showing a black screen as was reported to be the case in the previous version.

It looks like we'll need to work on the performance some. I'll add a widget to the options screen that allows you to use slightly cheaper shaders, though it's hard to say whether it'll be enough to make the game playable for you. Beyond that, fixing the the performance issues will probably be left for the next release cycle.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby charlie » 21 May 2012, 21:09

No rush. Early optimization is bad programming. :D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby tomreyn » 25 May 2012, 02:01

Hi,

I have this hardware:
"atibox": Core2Quad Q9400 (2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1650 XT (RV560, 256 MB dedicated RAM); Ubuntu 12.04, (open source) radeon video drivers

I tried bf002b1 on it yesterday and while the menus were generally OK (though text input did not seem to work most of the time), in-game didn't work out graphically. Thankfully amuzen looked into this since and now, with c552fa5, I can have a properly displayed player model with shader quality = 1 - good job! Shader quality = 2|3 still does not work (and breaks somewhat differently now) and with shader quality=1 I still have a little glitch where the teleporter/portal is all white, as if it's missing a texture.

Unrelated to this, when i start up c552fa5, after "rm -rf ~/.config/lipsofsuna/ ~/.local/share/lipsofsuna/" (which i had to do since i could not authenticate to my own server with my the config from bf002b1), i run into this:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
$ ./lipsofsuna
INFO: Loading client scripts.
INFO: Loading server scripts.
ERROR: SQL prepare: no such table: options
setting spawn point

Looks like some sqlite trouble (possibly related to me deleting those configs?)
tomreyn

Postby amuzen » 25 May 2012, 09:47

The SQL errors should be mostly harmless, but I silenced them regardless.

As for keyboard input stopping working, which desktop environment/window manager are you using? I'm currently suspecting that it only occurs under specific environments, most likely at least in Xfce. I can't reproduce it in Cinnamon, and I don't recall experiencing it in MATE either.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby tomreyn » 25 May 2012, 10:10

Thanks for dealing with the SQL errors and fixing the unit tests (those work fine for me now).

I'm using XFCE (4.8.0.3) with its XFWM (4.8.3) window manager (Xubuntu 12.04) here.

It turns out the keyboard input issue is not limited to the menus. When I just started a game on b582525 - which I using the mouse pointer to select menu options exclusively - I ended up in-game without any chance to control the character (movement keys, i.e. W, did not work, but had worked in earlier builds) other than by mouse, to Alt-Tab to another window (LoS was running in a window) or to open the menu by hitting escape. I could switch to a terminal and kill it from there, but decided to go with Alt-F4 instead, which also worked.

Now I started the game again, and hopped in-game by using the mouse only. Once there, hitting W would move me sideways instead of forward, but after I tried some other keys W would then move me forwards. So I kept moving towards the house. I released the W key there and it stopped, but when I then tried to move further (after using the mouse to look in another direction) W stopped working. And so did any other key. So I quit by hitting Alt-F4 again.
tomreyn

Postby fraang » 25 May 2012, 11:26

I have experienced another problem regarding keyboard input.

I am running LoS via Wine on a Gentoo GNU/Linux 64-bit. On GNOME 2.32 and Xfce 4.10. This is maybe a Wine bug but nevertheless I report it. Has someone else such a problem?

When I try to focus to a text box on whatever screen the text box loses the focus almost immediately preventing me of typing something in.
Sometimes if I am fast enough I am able to delete or type in one character before it loses the focus. But that doesn't happen every time. Rarely it just works fine.
fraang

Postby tomreyn » 25 May 2012, 20:53

Running 3D games on WINE is likely somewhat error prone. I haven't even tried to, but then: why would you if you can run it natively on Linux? Maybe you are trying to test the Windows builds this way. I'd prefer Virtualbox for this purpose, since it can provides the entire operating environment while WINE prefers to be slick (which is a good thing for many or most purposes, but not necessarily for software testing and quality assessments). As far as I know Virtualbox depends much on WINE's D3D video passthrough but then it provides more than 'just' that. Real tests would have be run on a barebone Windows installation, though, which, unfortunately from the testing perspective (only), I don't have available (either?).
tomreyn

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 May 2012, 12:13

Works well for me under windows (same fps as linux), only a strange black-face bug on the models, where parts of the face get blackened for some reason, and chat not working.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator