Lips of Suna 0.5.0 Feedback and Release

Lips of Suna 0.5.0 Feedback and Release

Postby TheAncientGoat » 10 Aug 2011, 18:28

After a long 2 months of development, Lips 0.5.0 has been released. Lots of feedback has been addressed, and new features added, here's a big of a changelog:

* New starting area with tutorial quests.
* New melee combat system with multiple attack moves.
* New NPC dialog system.
* Worksafe graphics mode.
* More flexible character creation.
* Improved player model.
* Improved character physics.
* Improvements to existing quests and work on some new quests.
* Simple map screen and location discovery.
* Options for mouse inverting and disabling mouse smoothing.
* Better character animation when moving and attacking simultaneously.
* New books: Arura Research Diary, The Sealed Library.
* New items: halberd, spear, cure disease potion, etc.
* New spells: home, magic missile.

Downloads:
Source Code for Linux and Windows
Windows Binary
Ubuntu PPA

So, try it out, and please leave some feedback!
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Re: Lips of Suna 0.5.0 Feedback and Release

Postby charlie » 10 Aug 2011, 19:05

We really need to implement 'like' buttons in the forum. :P

Awesome! 8)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Knitter » 10 Aug 2011, 19:11

OS X?! Have anyone tried to compile the code under OS X Leopard/Lion?

Looks fantastic but my Linux boxes don't run it so that I could try it out :(
Knitter

Postby TheAncientGoat » 10 Aug 2011, 19:41

Knitter: Unfortunately, no OSX user has tried to get it working.. We'd happily accept patches, and theoretically, it shouldn't be much of an issue...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Knitter » 10 Aug 2011, 19:54

I'll see if I can compile it later tonight if I get the chance, if not I'll try sometime around this weekend.
Knitter

Postby amuzen » 10 Aug 2011, 20:10

I doubt it compiles out of the box on OS X since at least locating data files would require OS X specific code. Most of the code is portable, though, so I think setting up the build environment might actually be harder than fixing the few errors.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby stef » 11 Aug 2011, 20:23

Hi, I just installed it on ubuntu 10.04 via the ppa, runned, joined a server, started to create a character... and got stuck right there : i seem to be unable to clic the "create" button ! not sure what i could try here ??

screenshot
stef

Postby TheAncientGoat » 12 Aug 2011, 12:04

Hey stef, try hosting your own game instead of joining one. I think the server you tried to join might be out of date.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 14 Aug 2011, 16:55

ze feedback: bugz :'D
using the windows 0.5.0 binary
win7 (64 bit)
ati radeon hd 5570 latest drivers

attached semi random objects to characters, including player: rotating the view actually changes the attached object
in first person the same

glitched lvl stuff: disappearing geometry

2nd time when creating a new character there were problems with loading hair models.. stdout:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
87% Saving the map
92% Saving the map
97% Saving the map
100% Saving the map
0% Saving quests
0% Finishing
ERROR: cannot create mapping for `D:/GAMES/lipsofsuna-0.5.0/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl' -> cannot load model `D:/GAMES/lipsofsuna-0.5.0/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl'
ERROR: not enough memory
INFO: Loading server scripts.
setting spawn point
Client login
ERROR: cannot create mapping for `D:/GAMES/lipsofsuna-0.5.0/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl' -> cannot load model `D:/GAMES/lipsofsuna-0.5.0/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl'

when looking in the dir devorahair2 was missing. or just not in yet?
it crashed after that when I wanted to start playing

hope this is helpful :)
gruntunbur

Postby TheAncientGoat » 16 Aug 2011, 11:52

It is helpful, thanks! We're trying to figure out what's going on, looks like a platform or hardware specific error. We're adding new error handling to track it down. The missing devora hair isn't an issue though, most probably the out of memory one. How much memory/Ram/video memory do you have?
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 16 Aug 2011, 15:16

video mem: 1g
main mem: 4g
I don't think its a memory problem

Now I'm trying to get the compile setup to work. after following the wiki page instructions I'm missing -ldl -lz and -lzdll apparently ( probly skipped something )
maybe a native compile will solve some of the bugs? .. dunno its worth a shot. if I get it to work :P
small update on that: there was a small typo in my .profile script >_>
it compiles now, sort of. at the last step creating libsofsuna.exe I'm still missing something: -lwinm
update: DOH >_< another typo. got that fixed. rdy to get.. testing!

after some dll stuff which I got wrong ( starting outside of msys console )
I now have a running lipsofsuna, but there are still objects attached to characters, although I have yet to see one on my avatar

there is the problem with fullscreen though
I'll try and see if I can get a screenshot of that (screenshot scaled to 50%):
you can see that there are borders of the fullscreen window showing, the top and bottom are outside of my actual screen. I can't see the menu anymore Q_Q.

updates!: I edited the config file back to 800x600. I saw I had a resolution in lipsofsuna of 1400 *1050 instead of 1440*900 ( native screen res )
changing resolutions in fullscreen mode fails. every fullscreen to windowed, or windowed to fullscreen fails. however rebooting lipsofsuna gives the right resolution back. although sometimes a weird fullscreen mode ( as seen in the picture )
when windowed, changing resolutions puts me in fullscreen and the other way arround. thats supposed to happen?
would be more usefull if it would just changed the resolution and didn't switch between fullscreen and windowed

moar:
there seems to be a nice fail when clicking on the sliders below the bloom[enable/disable] button. other buttons/sliders do fine except the resolutions.
I get the same visuals for a short time when changing resolutions (and inherently toggle fullscreen)

I've noticed that the objects attaching to the player and or npc's ( depending on view angle and position ) are [clones of] the ones that are in the neighbourhood
when close to barrels, I've got barrels attaching and disapearing. when close to a fence I've got fences hugging me and or npc's. etc

yay testing ^_^
gruntunbur

Postby TheAncientGoat » 17 Aug 2011, 14:44

Wow, thanks for sticking it through! Most people tend to run away when they see a bug, hehe..

I think it /might/ be a memory problem, but related to the code.. Bad pointer or something. All of the other things you've said are definitely bugs though, nekotaku will look at them when he gets the chance.

Could you try turning off worksafe mode? That attaches meshes to the characters, just a hunch
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 17 Aug 2011, 16:07

Actually, I heard problems with changing video mode and video effects under windows.
I also have
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ERROR: cannot open `/home/artem/SVN/lipsofsuna/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl' -> cannot load model `/home/artem/SVN/lipsofsuna/data/lipsofsuna/graphics/devorahair2.lmdl'
KroArtem

Postby gruntunbur » 17 Aug 2011, 17:55

I've switched on nudity, got naked (holding nothing), and walked like a fence :P
there are still objects attaching to the characters and player

changing the window size with you mouse cursor ( grab sides and drag ) isn't working very well either.

torches stay on the ground ( origin bone? ) at the player, the burning effects stay on the right position
here's a picture where the player's torch is positioned right but the npc's is not. sometimes it works for the player model i guess

i've seen alpha failing on this tree @ the crafting instructor
the other time it worked ( ignore geometry bug )
again quite random

then there's this on the combat instructor ( I don't get this with holding my own staff/pole weapon stick thing )

the "disappearing geometry" is always there. which can be partially and temporarily 'fixed' with digging some holes in the invisible parts
"partially" because parts that are farther away don't reappear. and "temporarily" because after some walking, stuff starts to dissapear/glitch again.
gruntunbur

Postby TheAncientGoat » 19 Aug 2011, 16:18

Hey Gruntunbur, keep on updating your git repo and recompiling, there's work being done on the rendering and window handling code, so it might go away even though the devs cant reproduce the bug
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 20 Aug 2011, 13:45

the crapload of screenshot ( maybe I overdid it? >_> ) wasn't from the git version.
following the compile for windows wiki I didn't use git.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
however, git cloned now. didn't see objects attaching to player yet.
although there are bugs, disappearing/glitching lvl geometry and objects. torches on the ground instead of hand etc.
the polearm weapon in my hands looks the same now as posted in the screenshot of the combat instructor
but since I'm apparently the only one yet to report these kind of bugs I don't know if it is all that usefull/important q_q
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just 2 more then:
locked mouse cursor vs interacting with npc's ( not using the shortkeys )
I can only press the topics when I enter inventory or some other window. because then the cursor is released from being locked to the camera view
however on low resolutions the windows overlap the dialogue-area. I can't drag the windows.
a "release mouse cursor" key whould help. the same as CTRL works for rotating the view (looking around). or maybe i've missed that and there is one?
alternatively talking to npc's would automaticly get you into a "conversations mode" which will unlock your cursor.
should need a "kthxbye" button somewhere to exit. or simply ESC would end the conversation and the cursor is locked to the camera again

I can't drag scrollbars. which to me is counter intuitive. (scrolling with the scrollwheel works)

maybe some general feedback ( personal taste stuff ) instead of weird graphical bugs is more usefull:
jumping: is kinda slow. you slowly slide of the ground into the air. Personaly I would prefer fast in the air jumps.
that means ditching the "bend knees to start jumping" animation part and just start with "retract legs in the air"
pressing jump will get you jumping in an instant instead of "wait for it..."
faster speeds would help too. gravity should simply go faster to falling. max fall speed is ok but the time to get there feels sluggish

climbing: the "stand up" animation takes to much time. speeding it up would help ( in my personal taste that is )
the argument is that you don't really want to wait for it to be done. it should be fast. thats why mario rocks, fast feedback.
( yes I know this aint a mario/jump&run game :) )
setting (and locking) the player in position facing the plane you want to climb could help too. rotation also needs to be set to face the side/plane
this would make it easier to make an animation that feels more attached to the world/environment instead of gliding trough/over it.
facing a side at a 45 angle you can climb and fall of it at the same time which looks.. crap. plus you don't want that.

faster working gravity as mentioned in the jumping part should also help when walking/falling of a block.
it should improve the feeling that you're actually falling off the block instead of gliding of it.
same with x and y mometum. it should go faster to 0 when falling. again this is just my personal taste of course.

and now there is a crapload of text instead of pictures, well thats it then... for now! :P

update: doh.. forgot to actaully reply on the window handling!
when switching resolutions from the option menu I still have the problems I mentioned. but!
changing the window size with your mouse actually works now :D! awesome
gruntunbur

Postby TheAncientGoat » 20 Aug 2011, 15:02

Cool, the attaching error was the main weird one, but I think it might be the same bug as the one that's breaking your polearm, and the torches one.

Glitchy terrain has been reported by other people, and I have experienced it myself, we're working on it.

The npc dialog thing is a bit of a feature, not a bug. We want people to use it in-combat and while moving around, to give commands to npcs, and doing this with the mouse would kind of break gameplay. An unlocked mouse mode switch is a good idea though, will poke nekotaku regarding it.

Scrollbars are buggy, I think they might be drag able in some situations, but they break easily.

Gameplay feedback is good, just need remind nekotaku to when he works on those parts again
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 26 Aug 2011, 13:51

I made this topic sticky. I think having the latest announcement/feedback thread as sticky makes sense, no?

I just love interfering as well.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby gruntunbur » 20 Sep 2011, 11:55

a tiny bit of testing extra:
figured I had integrated graphics I should try and see what differences I could find
this is with the git version which is not that different from the 0.5.0 at the time of testing ( window handling different )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hardware reference:
i5 650 4g (ironlake)
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1g (redwood)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ubuntu 04-2011 x64: (installed through the windows installer)
instalation super easy compared to the horrible list of stuff you need to do on windows :P ( when you want to compile from source )
glew not up to date though, compiled/used version 1.7

with integrated graphics on the i5 650:
--it ran, not that fast. no bumb maps/fancy-shaders. basic lightning

with ATI/AMD drivers ( closed ):
--shaders working

with x86-ati-dri ( mesa/galium ):
--works, no shaders
--higher framerate compared to intergrated, but lower compared to ATI/AMD drivers

ubuntu all:
--switching fullscreen/windowed worked
--window resize not so much
--almost no disappearing level geometry (just once. but looked like it had to load)
--and no objects attaching on npc/player models

opensource drivers ( intel and ati ):
--faulty message: "3.2 not supported requires >= glew 1.5.4 you have 1.7.0" O_o
windows 7 x64:

with integrated graphics on i5 650:
--does not load even after rebuild ( removed user files ./waf clean ./waf install ). it can't support opengl 3.x doesn't/can't switch to 2.x

stuff with ATI/AMD drivers ( include previous posted bugs ):
--shaders/opengl 3.2 enabled/working
when opengl 3.2 is supported there is a difference in setting shaders to "low"
you get no lightning just basic textures.
compared to when 3.2 is NOT supported ( fallback to older opengl version )
where you still have basic lightning enabled on "low"
bug:
opening a crafting window while walking makes the player keep on walking when you release the (movement) key once the window opened. ( trough anvil on the hotkey bar 0--9 )
same for mouse buttons. my guess is the "onkeyup" or something isn't called
gruntunbur