3d scan to a game

3d scan to a game

Postby Yerevan » 19 Jul 2017, 12:41

I found some models I'd like to use, But the problem is, that they are 3d scans. As I understand I have to make a retopology, create an UV map, bake normals from original model before I'll be able to use them fir game dev. The problem is that I don't understand how to make retopo and make it well. Before I made models by myself and always had a lowpoly version in the model. Maybe you can recommend me some tutorials. Actually, here's the models.
Yerevan

Re: 3d scan to a game

Postby eugeneloza » 19 Jul 2017, 13:35

I don't think you'll manage to master retopo in one tutorial. Just read a few tutorials (better for theory), then watch anything you'll find on Youtube (choose short ones, they're usually better, more explanations and less "just working"). The worst problem is not retopo itself, but learning to make a proper mesh. In your case it's not a serious problem, as you're not going to animate organic beings, but anyway, keeping the mesh even and loopy is a tricky stuff :) Thou not impossible.
eugeneloza

Postby Julius » 19 Jul 2017, 16:18

These models are non-free anyways ( https://www.artec3d.com/terms-use ), so you can't really retopo them and use in FOSS games. Besides that, yes re-topo is a complicated topic and unless you absolutly need a very close mesh to bake a normal map for example you are usually better off/quicker just to build a similar mesh off a reference photo.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby GamerDanD » 25 Aug 2017, 07:13

Hi
You have to make sure you can use them, because sometimes you have to ask designer for permission to use someone's work. There are few videos about that on you tube, so you should be able to do this.
GamerDanD