Sound effects I couldn't find

Sound effects I couldn't find

Postby onpon4 » 04 Nov 2016, 14:17

I wonder if anyone can help me find some libre sounds for Hexoshi, the game I'm developing. Hexoshi doesn't have a project page yet (I'm waiting for Savannah to approve it), but there's a video of it here (and it also links to a temporary download):

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/ ... 016-11-03/

These are the sounds I haven't been able to find (I looked on OpenGameArt.org and Freesound.org):

- Something for when the player lands on the ground. (I'm looking for something very definite, but soft. One thing I tried was tapping my fingers against a desk, and that worked once, except it was so quiet it was overtaken by static.)

- Something for when an enemy dies.

- Something to play when a bat enemy starts charging at you (I was looking for some kind of screech or squeak, but I couldn't find anything that fits).

I would also appreciate ideas for how to record/derive these. I'm reasonably capable in Audacity and have done edits before. I just haven't found anything to derive these particular sounds from.
Last edited by onpon4 on 08 Nov 2016, 04:54, edited 4 times in total.
onpon4

Re: Sound effects I couldn't find

Postby Arthur » 04 Nov 2016, 20:43

onpon4 {l Wrote}:- Something for when an enemy dies (I'd like something that kind of sounds like a tiny explosion).

Maybe the sound for the bomb in SuperTux exploding could be used? (Note: ST, not STK.)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby onpon4 » 04 Nov 2016, 21:47

No, that's too long/big. I'm looking for something tiny and short, and very non-definite so that it sounds mundane.

Actually, calling what I'm looking for an "explosion" is probably inaccurate. I just can't think of a better word for it. I'm thinking of having the enemies "explode" in a soft way because that's a simple way to do it (and it also has the bonus of being non-violent), but it's not like they're actually combusting. They're just sort of... turning into plasma and going apart, I guess? I don't know, something undefined, really.
onpon4

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Nov 2016, 11:40

Maybe try to look at [url]"http://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?keys=&field_art_type_tid[]=13&sort_by=count&sort_order=DESC"[/url] (doesn't insert url correctly... maybe due to [] in the link...)
First of all two RPG packs that come first in the list.
I think that a "punch" sound might do for enemies dying. Or adding some sci-fi 8-bit sound to it.
eugeneloza

Postby onpon4 » 07 Nov 2016, 13:59

First of all two RPG packs that come first in the list.
I think that a "punch" sound might do for enemies dying.

Thanks for these suggestions. I've found a sound for landing and a sound for enemies dying in some of these.

Now I just need something for the bats.

EDIT: On further testing, the sound I found for enemy death doesn't work well.

EDIT 2: However, I managed to generate a good sound effect for this with Sfxr. :)

EDIT 3: And I managed to find a sound which was suitable for the bat attacking (it was an RPG spider monster sound; I had to modify it just a bit, but once I did that, it worked perfectly). So that's all the sounds I need at the moment.
onpon4