Burningwell....

Burningwell....

Postby titi » 24 Dec 2009, 02:17

This is the new thread to discuss the textures section at burningwell ( !! all pictures there are public domain !!).
Please give me feedback here if you used base texture pictures from burningwell.
If you already have used them in a game/mod or whatever, please post some pictures/screenshots of your work!!

If you also want to take some photos for burningwells texture section too, try to upload only photos which are good:
- Sharp ( everywhere where its important! )
- Have no shadows or light reflexes
- Things which need to be cut out later ( like plants ) should have a background with a good contrast. This makes it much more easy to use them later.
- Show something useful for textures
Last edited by titi on 18 Mar 2020, 00:11, edited 3 times in total.
titi

Re: Burningwell....

Postby Skorpio » 24 Dec 2009, 11:07

I used Burningwell textures for the walls and ground of my first Enemy Territory map. It's a very simple CTF map.

Oh and merry x-mas! :)
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 24 Dec 2009, 13:46

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I used Burningwell textures for the walls and ground of my first Enemy Territory map.

The colors make it look like a Nexuiz map :)

Happy 24th day of the 12th month!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 12 Feb 2010, 15:54

I combined a few textures to produce a background for PARPG's ui.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 21 Apr 2010, 10:02

All ground and plant textures and the mountain textures in this scene are made using base texture photos from http://www.burningwell.org

titi

Postby qubodup » 21 Apr 2010, 11:11

@titi The water too? I think they're all pretty good!

http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/v/t ... 6.JPG.html
and
http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/v/t ... 3.JPG.html
are awesome! I tried casting some texturizer and resynthesizer magic on them but one crashed and the other I wasn't able to make something pretty. Actually this might be the first time I used these two plugins, so I'm quite the noob.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 22 Apr 2010, 01:21

Yes I think the water too, but it was heavily modified with gimp.
The ground textures are nearly all made using resynthesizer, a really cool tool!
titi

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 11:42

I have a problem with moving uploaded files. I uploaded the tiling textures from http://www.flickr.com/photos/qubodup/se ... 525922435/ but am not able to select the textures directory or subdirs to move to.

So please do it for me ;) (And if possible, make it possible to move, unless you want to have organizational 'power' for textures, that would be fine for me. :) )
Attachments
this.png
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 17 May 2010, 00:40

hi,
Currently I'm the one who has to move all things from incoming to the right section. I look there from time to time and sort new things in.
So yes I want this 'power' and beside of this I don't have the rights to change this state. I'm only responsible for the texture section, not a site admin.
titi

Postby qubodup » 17 May 2010, 01:01

@titi was it ok to upload .png textures? Should I switch to 100% quality JPGs instead? And would it make sense to upload opengameart/leafy-treeplant-branch to BurningWell?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 18 May 2010, 00:02

Yes, please upload the leaves. This alpha cut out is exactly what i had in mind when I took the photo. I hope it was easy to cut it out ?
And by the way, PNGs are really ok. Whatever is displayed in burningwell is good :). For things with transparency parts its best to use PNGs.
titi

Postby qubodup » 18 May 2010, 02:10

@titi done!
Well, figuring out what was wrong with my configuration, which prevented me using my tablet for months was harder. :) Well - this was the first time I *really* needed it in a while.

It took a little while, and I'm not entirely content with the borders. Hopefully it will look decent nonetheless.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 18 May 2010, 13:07

tablet? You made the cutout manually?
Here is my version just using gimps magic selection ( and I pimped the color and sharpness a bit with the gimp buildin tools. It took me 10 minutes to do all this:
http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/d/2 ... alpha1.png
titi

Postby qubodup » 18 May 2010, 13:44

titi {l Wrote}:tablet? You made the cutout manually?

I used the color selection tool and the extend by one pixel selection function and then gaussian blur, but I had to correct some spots manually.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby titi » 18 May 2010, 15:32

ah ok, so basically the same way I did it :D
titi

Postby Sindwiller » 06 Jun 2010, 21:45

Awesome stuff! :)
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby titi » 16 Sep 2010, 10:10

I was on vacation again and took some new photos( the first 3 pages ) :

http://www.burningwell.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=dynamicalbum.UpdatesAlbum

Sorry for the blurry borders of the photos (especially on the left side) but this damn Nikon5000 combined with a Tamron AF 18-200mm is very bad!
I bought this as a package, but I think this object lens obviously doesn't fit for this camera. The first time I used a DSLR camera and the results are .....
Ok, at least I think they are still useful for textures. Affected are all the photos called "TT1_*". For the other photos (called something like "TT003*") I used my old cheap cam .
titi

Postby Sindwiller » 18 Sep 2010, 15:35

Dont' worry, it's hardly noticeable. :P You just have to cut out the borders if necessary.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby p0ss » 13 Feb 2011, 01:42

I've started turning some of the textures into tileable textures with normal maps etc. over at Open Game Art

http://opengameart.org/content/30-grass ... es-tilable
p0ss

Postby p0ss » 13 Feb 2011, 01:47

Also, if any of your wonderful photographers could grab some material textures, like cloth, stitching, and leather, I'd definitely turn them into game assets. Other things game devs need is things like skin, bone, blood, gore. Basically anything you can imagine painting a model with. That way I can turn them into tileable texture brushes for model makers to use.
p0ss

Postby p0ss » 13 Feb 2011, 02:05

Sorry to go on, but just one last thing, the animal section, while useful as is, could be greatly improved by the addition of some extreme closeups of the animals skin/fur/feathers. For instance, with the cow picture, to use it on a cow model I would cut out nearly the entire picture and hope to get a sufficiently detailed and flat section of skin to turn into a tileable texture which a model artist would then paint onto their cow model. So if, for instance, a photographer were taking a picture of the fish they were going to cook for dinner, close ups of each part of the fish would be a lot more useful than one big shot. Actually that applies to photos of many things, a close up of a hook or a handle, a keyhole or an ornate inlay, all of these things can add much needed detail without adding extra polygons to a model. Texture creators *love* perpendicular macro shots! :D
p0ss

Postby TheAncientGoat » 13 Feb 2011, 11:51

Excellent work poss!
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby titi » 21 Mar 2011, 02:26

@poss:
I know all this, but its :
- hard to take good photos with bad cameras :-D
- hard to find a photo motif
and there are not so many closeups, because I don't need those in my game so much ;) ( http://www.megaglest.org )
Especially animals are super hard to find and its very hard to get good textures photos from. I do my best. All in all I take all those photos becasue I use them in my mods/game. But I think they are useful for a lot of other people too :-) .

update:
@poss you wrote that you found my stuff under a creative commons license and offer them there as gpl2 licened ....
http://opengameart.org/content/30-grass ... es-tilable

Please get more used to licenses!
1. all photos on burningwell are in the public domain!!! You can use them in any way you want! They don't have the typical CC restrictions like credits for example.
2. Just imagine I used a CC license you were not allowed to release them with the GPL2 license! ( but they are not CC so no problems here )
( In general be careful, many free licenses want more from you than just credits :!: )
3. And the most important one:
GPL is a license which is more meant for code! If you really want to force to be credited by the people who use your stuff, please just use CC-By-SA v3 as this is the most commonly used license for free game contents. ( But maybe you also decide to make them Public domain too. )
Please please change the licenses to CC-By-SA v3 ( or maybe allow them to be used with both licenses! )

update 2:
( same with this: http://opengameart.org/content/117-ston ... n-8-themes )

update 3:
look at this guy he wants credits but allows everything :)
http://opengameart.org/content/4-medieval-inn-signs
titi

Postby qubodup » 21 Jul 2012, 05:53

There was a burningwell torrent a while ago. Does it still exist?
qubodup
Global Moderator