[FREE DOWNLOAD] 30GB+ of high quality game audio assets

[FREE DOWNLOAD] 30GB+ of high quality game audio assets

Postby mikehljohnson » 17 Mar 2016, 00:25

mikehljohnson

Re: [FREE DOWNLOAD] 30GB+ of high quality game audio assets

Postby c_xong » 17 Mar 2016, 04:01

This is cool, and it seems the license is very permissive, but here's a funny clause:

b) Licensee may not sell any of the sound effects as they come. (Although the sound effects may be sold as incorporated into licensee project).

If I understand correctly,

I can't sell the unmodified sound effects
    If I include the sound effects in a project (like a game), then I can sell the game, but I'll need to include the GDC bundle license to prevent others from extracting the sound effects and selling them
    But if I creatively modify the sound effects (which the license grants the right to), I can then sell the sound effects

So really, this clause makes the license a weird free-as-long-as-you-modify-it-first license. What is the purpose of this license anyway? Why not choose an equivalent Creative Commons license? It seems that, except for this clause, it is somewhere between CC0 and CC-BY (no attribution but no copyright waiver either).
c_xong

Postby eugeneloza » 17 Mar 2016, 09:07

Thanks a lot! This might be exactly what I was looking for :)
eugeneloza

Postby Akien » 17 Mar 2016, 09:27

This is a great resource indeed! I have to agree with c_xong though that the custom license, though quite permissive, would likely be problematic for libre games which try to comply with the DFSG or FSF lists of "verified" libre licenses.

I myself tend to follow the very helpful licensing policy that Fedora put up: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensin ... t_Licenses
If a license is not listed as "FSF Free" there, I tend to avoid it.

Of course this peculiar licensing point is mainly problematic for libre games, which are probably not your main target; I guess most proprietary games would not have any issue with the terms of your (again, very permissive) license.
If you'd be willing to relicense to a well-established license like CC-BY, it would likely be very appreciated from us libre game developers :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien