Font suggestions for displaying numbers?

Font suggestions for displaying numbers?

Postby Roots » 27 Jan 2015, 04:46

I'm working on a RPG project, an old video of which you can see below. When dealing damage during a battle, the amount of damage dealt pops up in some red text near the enemy. As you can see from the video, it is very hard to read because the numbers are so thin. The font we are using currently works well for every place we use it except for this one. So I thought that it would be a good idea to search for another font specifically for this purpose (a free font, of course).

youtu.be/2DtD9A0bNBw

What I have in mind is a font like Secret of Mana (below). As you can see, the numbers are big, bold, and easy to read. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar font?

Roots

Re: Font suggestions for displaying numbers?

Postby DetectDefective » 27 Jan 2015, 05:07

Would Anton work for you? Made a quick example like the one you showed with Secret of Mana, without and with outline.

DetectDefective

Postby Roots » 27 Jan 2015, 05:16

Yes, that looks pretty damn near what I was looking for. Wouldn't mind comparing this font against a few others to find the best one that fits the atmosphere of the game (somewhat serious and dark fantasy). But this looks miles better than what we have now. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
Roots

Postby DetectDefective » 27 Jan 2015, 05:21

Not a problem at all. I'll try to look for something more fitting yet easy to read if Anton doesn't work well enough.
DetectDefective

Postby Roots » 27 Jan 2015, 05:49

Much appreciated. FYI the fonts we are using currently are Libertine and Libertine small capitals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Libertine
Roots

Postby Akien » 27 Jan 2015, 11:42

The font in VT is relatively easy to read, and the number "jumps" away from the target, it's quite nice.
But I understand it if you're trying to achieve something a bit different.
Attachments
vt-battle.jpg
Battle font in VT
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Roots » 27 Jan 2015, 15:25

Took a look at the source and VT is using the Biolinum font from the Libertine set. I agree that the font looks much better. I'd still like to use something that is bolder and thicker I think though.
Roots

Postby rogerdv » 27 Jan 2015, 21:41

Im using AlegreyaSans and it is quite readable even for small sizes. Has Black and Bold variants too.
rogerdv