duion.com - CC0 textures

duion.com - CC0 textures

Postby Duion » 10 Sep 2014, 01:09

Just wanted to announce that I recently started my own textures site.

Since I did a lot of things related to game-design, especially textures now, I thought there is enough content to start a site with and everything will be public domain. I do this because I was annoyed that there was not enough open source compatible content to work with and it took me a long time to get started with all this and so I thought I will share it in hope to save others some time to do it themselves. My goal was to make a public domain version of those commercial texture-sites, so people who don't like copyright will also have a place to go.

My site is for multiple projects, but the textures can be found at: http://www.duion.com/art/main
Click the categories on the left for the pictures, there is no fancy teaser-page yet.

The photos are mostly my work so far, but I also migrated over a bunch of textures that seemed good enough from Titus from burningwell, he told me I could do that since he was looking for a new platform because of traffic issues with burningwell.

If you also want to share your photos, contact me, but you should have some experience, since I want to keep a fairly high quality throughout the site, to ensure that the content is useful to others. There is no different licenses, since I want to keep it CC0 straight, to make things as easy as possible for the user, so you have to agree with that, if you want to share you work also.

Feedback and requests is welcome.
Duion

Re: duion.com - CC0 textures

Postby Arthur » 10 Sep 2014, 01:52

Nice initiative, but it may be easier for both you and people looking for FOSS compatible textures if you instead use the excellent http://opengameart.org site for hosting your textures.
Just a suggestion, no matter what this is good. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Duion » 10 Sep 2014, 02:15

It is an alternative to burningwell not to opengameart. I already asked if opengameart could be upgraded to host also photos and improve the texture section, but as long as I know it, nothing happened for years and they asked who does all the work needed and so on. I also tried burningwell, but it did not suit my needs and it had other issues like traffic limit. Even people from opengameart told me I should do it my own, so I did it instead of waiting for something never to happen. There is no more choice now, my initiative is already complete, I just wanted to inform you.
Duion

Postby andrewj » 10 Sep 2014, 10:42

This could become a great resource for people who want to make textures, who would ideally upload their finished textures to OpenGameArt.

But aren't you worried about it getting too popular and costing lots of $$$ for bandwidth?
andrewj

Postby Duion » 10 Sep 2014, 12:11

No, but I am worried about the bandwidth being underutilized.
Duion

Postby Julius » 10 Sep 2014, 18:42

So it's officially launched now? Cool. Don't get overambitious with forums etc. that are probably not going to be used. Just link to the OGA and FGD ones.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Duion » 10 Sep 2014, 18:55

This is there just in case I may need something related to other topics.
Duion