need help to fix a blender model

need help to fix a blender model

Postby rogerdv » 25 Nov 2013, 15:34

Im loking for a blender experienced artist who can fix an animated model I have following this thread: http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/135642/1#comment-852092. the model doesnt requires more animations, I just need the current ones fixed to be able to export and use with Torque3D.
rogerdv

Re: need help to fix a blender model

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 18:13

Ehh, Torque3Ds implementation of collada together with Blenders only half finished collada support is a mess... there are rumors that it can be made to work, but I couldn't (gave up relatively quick though to be honest... I lack the masochistic drive I think :p).

Edit: duion might be able to help, but I think he also had some issues with animations.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 25 Nov 2013, 18:41

According to the thred, it can be made to work, but requires putting all anims in a single timeline (or something like that) and then using shape editor to specify where each one starts and ends. Yes, is a mess, but torque3D seems the only open source engine in a decent state, except for missing linux support.
rogerdv

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 21:48

rogerdv {l Wrote}:torque3D seems the only open source engine in a decent state

I couldn't disagree more on this... torque3d is a polished turd :p
Ok seriously... I also see quite a lot of potential in Torque3D and the WYSIWYG terrain editor is certainly nice... the rest however... It only has/used to have some decent marketing, given that is/was commercial.

What do you want to do? I am sure we can find a better open-source engine that will give you much less hassle and has better developer's support too.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 25 Nov 2013, 22:25

What I want is to develop a game without having to spend a year developing sound integration, scripting integration physics integration, trying to make an external editor work, etc.
rogerdv

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 22:35

Totally understandable. But there are other options like that too. And with Torgue3d the mess just starts a little bit later :p

For starters, did you have a look at the jmonkey engine 3 SDK ( http://jmonkeyengine.org/ )? Although the preferred mesh format (something ogre3d based) is also a bit problematic with Blender I think.

But any sufficiently generic engine will require quite a bit of tinkering... what kind of genre do you want to do? There are also quite a few relatively genre specific game engines that are much more easy to modify if you want to make a game like that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby rogerdv » 26 Nov 2013, 14:08

I have enough problems with java to keep adding more software made with it. I prefer C++, or some C-like scripting on top of a C++ made engine.
My current project is an old school RPG. I have been designing and writing for a year (after spending 3 years to make a prototype with Ogre3d) and I would like to resume programming.
rogerdv

Postby Julius » 26 Nov 2013, 19:22

Ahh that makes it indeed a bit more complicated.

Did you have a look at the various quake engines? qfusion is pretty stable and has C++ like AngelScript support and is otherwise quite easy to deal with and NetRadiant is a production ready editor. OctaForge seems to become more usable too (Cube2/Tesseract based).

Otherwise... since you have experience with the Ogre3D engine, why not contribute to the OpenMW content replacement project?

Alternatively the ArxLibertatis engine would be probably interesting too and you could help them make the build in editor multiplatform (it is disabled in newer versions because of that).

I also think that the 0 A.D. engine could potentially work quite well for an RPG, but scripting is in JavaScript.

Last but not least, what about makeing something based on Summoning Wars? It has a somewhat functioning editor now I think.
Julius
Community Moderator