Sculptris (new sculpting program)

Sculptris (new sculpting program)

Postby Skorpio » 21 May 2010, 13:21

There's a really cool new sculpting program in development called Sculptris. The main advantage over Blender's built-in sculpting tools is the automatic tesselation, so that more details are added to the mesh only where they are really needed. I guess that's one reason why Sculptris is so fast compared to Blender. Adding arms and legs to a model is also very easy because of this tesselation.

http://www.sculptris.com/
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

I made a ugly, little, crawling monster for testing purposes (I hope you're disgusted :D ) and a human head which I modelled in about 15 min without reference (it still needs some work):
Monster.jpg
Head.jpg
Head.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 11233 times
Last edited by Skorpio on 22 May 2010, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Re: Sculptris (new sculpting program)

Postby TheAncientGoat » 21 May 2010, 14:18

Seen this before, was put off that it isn't open source or that it has a linux client, but it works in wine and is fun to play around with :)

Not sure if you'd be able to make usable game models with it though...
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby ghoulsblade » 22 May 2010, 01:28

impressive nevertheles, might give nice incentive to blender devs to improve their sculpting =)
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 May 2010, 06:32

I've begun to model a low poly version of the monster and have already tried to bake a normal map. The normal map on the tail doesn't look so good and probably must be changed. The model has about 1100 triangles and 600 vertices, but it still can be improved.

Monster2.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 22 May 2010, 12:43

Thank god somebody did this. Blender's sculpting functionality was actually a separate project which then got merged into Blender, making it unreasonably slow in the process. A fast, ZBrush/Mudbox-like program is what we need right now. :)

EDIT: Not GPL and no Linux port though. :P
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby Skorpio » 22 May 2010, 13:19

Sculptris 1.0 is available! http://www.sculptris.com/

I'm checking it out now.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 23 May 2010, 12:58

How about we convince the guy to GPL his program? Wouldn't that be of use for us all? ;o
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby Skorpio » 23 May 2010, 19:20

There's already a thread about this issue on the Sculptris forum ... and of course qubodup has already posted something. :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 25 May 2010, 18:55

Skorpio {l Wrote}:There's already a thread about this issue on the Sculptris forum ... and of course qubodup has already posted something. :)

So despite the fact that nobody would buy his software and that GPL'ing would greatly increase the knowledge and experience that might flow into the project, he refuses to even dispute the idea of putting it under a FOSS license. Let alone porting it to Linux. :P
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby Skorpio » 27 May 2010, 15:28

There's a new sculpting tool for Blender in the works that'll be similar to the dynamic tesselation of Sculptris. I just wish that Blender wouldn't get so slow with high poly counts.

http://www.blendernation.com/unlimited- ... n-blender/
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 01 Jun 2010, 19:09

Skorpio {l Wrote}:There's a new sculpting tool for Blender in the works that'll be similar to the dynamic tesselation of Sculptris. I just wish that Blender wouldn't get so slow with high poly counts.

http://www.blendernation.com/unlimited- ... n-blender/

Rad! :) It's at least a bit of an improvement. Luckily, 2.5 will be faster than 2.4 in many ways. Let's see how that works out with sculpting :)
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller