Showcase Thread

Showcase Thread

Postby qubodup » 30 Nov 2009, 00:10

Created some free art but don't think it's worth a new thread? Post it here! Give and receive compliments too!

For hosting your free art I recommend OpenGameArt.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Showcase Thread

Postby BartK » 23 Dec 2009, 23:17

For the record, we're perfectly okay with you hot-linking your art submissions from OGA provided they're legitimate submissions. :)
OpenGameArt.org
Free, legal art for Open Source game projects
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 24 Dec 2009, 12:59

\o/
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby Sindwiller » 25 Dec 2009, 21:33

Boom!

http://rgames.tuxfamily.org/wp-content/ ... d_wip2.ogg

Background track that's supposed to be used in the main menu screen for the PARPG project.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 02 Jan 2010, 23:37

I did some voices for the space action/trading game NAEV.

Some people don't like my apathetic voice :oops:. Also i got following piece of advice on #naev so far: "leave more time between and speak slower, especially leave a gap between words with s' because your accent adds a lisp, so it muddies the space between the words"

Feel free to apply harsh criticism! The raw/unedited (only cut) voice is here.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 03 Jan 2010, 14:06

As I said yesterday, try this with default compression settings (perhaps lower them a bit), amplifcation on about ~<8.0 and deamplification on around ~15.0< . :)
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 07 Mar 2010, 19:38

An OGA member asked the community for help re-texturing his old models with freely licensed textures: http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/retexturing-request any texturing-fans here? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 07 Mar 2010, 21:38

Why doesn't he upload the models without textures? Then people can pick what they want, texture it and upload the textured model again. Or they could send him the texture so that he can add it.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 08 Mar 2010, 13:41

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Why doesn't he upload the models without textures?

Well, he did now upload some models.
http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/retex ... omment-903
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-31e57dd1.html
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 30 Mar 2010, 20:54

There have been many awesome submissions to OGA (link at the top ;) ) but the following is especially interesting. Skill icons by pfunked:
He is open to further suggestions, so if you would like some icons in that style, maybe for Radakan, DungeonHack, FreeDroidRPG, PARPG, Lips of Suna..
Let me know if you want more icons in this style. I'll gladly expand this collection as needed (it's very simple to create more in this style; we're talking less than 5 minutes per new icon).

-> http://opengameart.org/content/powers-icons <-
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 10 May 2010, 16:55

http://opengameart.org/content/dirty-qu ... loor-tiles

http://opengameart.org/content/quake-st ... ue-and-red

Some textures I've made recently. Might even make a whole set? Any criticism? :) I'm afraid that they're a bit too bland, I'll probably make some more with more color variation to combat that.
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby Sauer2 » 12 May 2010, 23:46

Looks good. :) About variation: What about a drain/grid/fan/shattered piece in the tile pattern?
Sauer2

Postby Sindwiller » 17 May 2010, 19:58

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:Looks good. :) About variation: What about a drain/grid/fan/shattered piece in the tile pattern?

Aaaand done:

http://opengameart.org/content/dirty-qu ... loor-tiles

-> Floortiles_drain.xcf :)
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 18 May 2010, 01:04

I have to show these off because it makes me feel smug to know that people with German education background might feel familiar seeing this :3

Image Image
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 19 May 2010, 13:35

@Sindwiller: Awesome :!: Only the not always black shadow looks strange...
@qubodup: Is this something I should know from art lessons I never had? :D That looks like acid indicator paper to me.

@responsible person of this forum: You know, I'm somehow missing a question mark and a fae palm smiley :) Nice new logos, though.

best regards
Sauer2

BTW: Isn't CC0 and PD the same? :?
Sauer2

Postby qubodup » 19 May 2010, 15:36

That looks like acid indicator paper to me.

lol, you're right! but if you click them, you'll see the title and prolly know what they are.
Sauer2 {l Wrote}:You know, I'm somehow missing a question mark and a fae palm smiley

If you make both exactly in the spirit of http://opengameart.org/content/cubikopp-qubic-smilies , I'll add them :) Please check if viewtopic.php?f=3&t=338#p3444 is exactly the same regarding shadow and size etc.. Hm.. facepalm could be :cry: without tears and with a small block in front of the face?
Sauer2 {l Wrote}:BTW: Isn't CC0 and PD the same? :?

I'm a bit confused, so just in case I usually use both.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 19 May 2010, 19:02

Hmm, seems there is not enough space for a good question mark. Also the face palm smiley looks weird.
Attachments
facepalm.png
facepalm.png (662 Bytes) Viewed 85887 times
facepalm.svg
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 1208 times
Sauer2

Postby Sindwiller » 25 Aug 2010, 21:35

I made some music in the vein of Freelancer or UT3, the complexity of my works, or rather, loops, can't be compared with the ones in said games. I'm still trying though. Scroll down for ALL loops.

http://opengameart.org/content/escape-o ... ttle-music
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2010, 14:45

blocked out a rough mech I would like to build for a game. Currently it is still very close to my favorite one from Battletech (Vulture/Maddog), so i am not sure how much I will still have to alter it to avoid copyright problems ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 02 Sep 2010, 16:51

Ah nice, a Vulture! Clan mechs are practical, you can reuse the legs for a Timberwolf. ;) What program are you using?

Speaking of Battletech and copyright problems, did you know that they stole a lot of the early designs from anime series? :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2010, 18:00

Ha yes, robotech ;) For modeling I usually use Wings3D. But there is a really annoying bug with it and ubuntu 10.4 where starting really messes with the mouse outside of the program :( Even after the program is closed.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 03 Sep 2010, 01:02

Tried to break up the vulture look a bit, suggestions are welcome ;)

I am aiming for a smaller mech than those found in Battletech... something maybe about 5-6 meter high.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 03 Sep 2010, 20:25

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 04 Sep 2010, 00:19

I love it! I think it's far enough from a vulture design by now.

Lame name idea: VL-230 "Bladebird"

PS: the upper arms (gun holding bars) look unstable.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 04 Sep 2010, 04:47

The arms is about the only thing I have not worked on much at all so far. But you are right :)

Bladebird is not bad, but not perfect either... maybe we can have a naming poll?

Hmm, Gryphon could be a nice name... and that's not used in the Battletech universe so far AFAIK.
Julius
Community Moderator