Royalty-Free Music by Syndroversion

Royalty-Free Music by Syndroversion

Postby Syndroversion » 22 Dec 2022, 22:12

Hi everyone!

My name is Syndroversion. I am a self-taught music producer since 2008, and I am interested in producing music for games.

I recently released my second pack of royalty-free music on my Bandcamp page. I am hoping to keep releasing more packs like this and I am open to feedback and suggestions!

All songs in my royalty-free music packs are released under a Creative Commons Attribution license.

Thanks for reading!
Syndroversion

Re: Royalty-Free Music by Syndroversion

Postby Julius » 23 Dec 2022, 15:31

Would be probably good if you could upload them to https://opengameart.org as well.

Edit: From your website:
"In order to legally use these tracks, I must be listed, by the name Syndroversion, as a musician in your project’s credits. My name must appear in the actual game, video, etc., not just in a description or information section."

I don't think this additional provision is compatible with the CC-by license you state elsewhere. And many open-source games do not have an in-game credits view, making it quite hard to fulfil this requirement.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bzt » 23 Dec 2022, 19:28

Julius {l Wrote}:I don't think this additional provision is compatible with the CC-by license you state elsewhere.
Not necessarily, the first part could be compatible. The CC-BY license says:
You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
One could argue that "I must be listed, by the name Syndroversion, as a musician in your project’s credits" considered to be a "reasonable manner", however the license's wording suggests that the "how" is determined by the licensee, and not the licensor. Also, as you have pointed out, a game might not have an about box at all, so the second part is a non-sense, more on this.

If in-game acknowledgement is really what the OP is after, then I suggest to use GPL instead. It has some drawbacks, and being copyleft might introduce some additional problems too, but at least GPL mandates an in-game display of the copyright, just as the OP wanted (emphasis by me):
If the program does terminal interaction, make it output a short notice like this when it starts in an interactive mode:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
    <program>  Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.

The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate parts of the General Public License. Of course, your program's commands might be different;
for a GUI interface, you would use an “about box”.

But IMHO it would be better if the OP would allow their users to choose how the attribution is made, listing the copyright of their music along with the other attributions (however that's might be done).

Cheers,
bzt

EDIT: uh oh, CC is a real mess reading the legal code. Section 3(a)(1).A.i "identification of the creator(s) of the Licensed Material and any others designated to receive attribution, in any reasonable manner requested by the Licensor", but then, in Section 3(a)(2) "You may satisfy the conditions in Section 3(a)(1) in any reasonable manner based on the medium, means, and context in which You Share the Licensed Material.", so I believe despite this contradiction the ultimate decision is on the licensee, and the licensor can only request "what" (how their name and the licensed work's title is written), but they cannot request "where" the attribution is made.
bzt

Postby PeterX » 23 Dec 2022, 20:31

As Julius said, opengameart.org is THE place for Creative Commons music.
PeterX

Postby Syndroversion » 23 Dec 2022, 22:01

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have reworded my website text so that the manner of attribution is just my preference, not a strict requirement.

I will also look into posting it on opengameart.org.
Syndroversion

Postby Julius » 24 Dec 2022, 20:12

Great, thanks!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Technopeasant » 25 Dec 2022, 07:16

Nice work.
Technopeasant

Postby Syndroversion » 03 Jan 2023, 03:43