Spaceship sounds in battle

Spaceship sounds in battle

Postby Vandar » 06 May 2020, 01:23

How to start ... a long time dream project of mine is a spaceship battle simulator. One on one, two ships ... may the better built one win!

But the reason why I post this is ... I want, need to learn how to make spaceship sounds. The sounds of power supplies, converter banks, power guides, shields. Sounding nicely powerful in normal conditions, getting louder, more frantic in battle and a screaming crescendo if the ship is pushed to its limits.

But how to start? How to do that? Rhythm, frequencies, sounds? Any sound experts here to share their ideas?
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Re: Spaceship sounds in battle

Postby smcameron » 06 May 2020, 02:09

I think I may have posted this gizmo on here before, but... here it is again (warning it will start making noise immediately): https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/synth/88651/2146

Probably not what you had in mind (because who the hell would have that in mind?) but might be interesting anyway. Twisting the 4 big knobs in the upper left for awhile can get some interesting FM stuff going. VCV Rack emulating modular synth stuff is another way to go, though getting decent sounds out of it can take a lot of fiddling with unpredictable results.

Analog delay guitar pedals can get some interesting sounds going if you find one that will self-oscillate. And of course there are plenty of oddball guitar pedals out there (though that can be an expensive way to get sounds, although there are dirt cheap ones on aliexpress -- though they tend to be pretty run-of-the-mill rather than weirdo pedals) Noise + reverb is probably worth experimenting with to get kind of ambient sounds or whooshy sounds. There's this thing: https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/space ... erator.php for ambient spaceship sounds (not exactly battle sounds.)

Just a couple ideas, probably not very good ideas.
smcameron