TirNanoG Base Web Character Generator

TirNanoG Base Web Character Generator

Postby bzt » 18 May 2022, 21:09

Hi,

As a follow up on the sheet generator, I've created character sprite templates. Until now those were used by the editor's generator only. But I know many of you won't download and run a native executable, so I've completely reimplemented exactly the same generator in JavaScript too :-)

https://bztsrc.gitlab.io/tirnanog-base/

Features
  • Open Source and MIT licensed (the asset templates are CC-BY-SA)
  • Single html file, less than 64k, no network connection needed, works on your local computer too (with file:// URL)
  • Vanilla JavaScript only without dependencies (all code included in that 64k html file)
  • Nearly a hundred available templates (which you can freely combine and create billions of variations)
  • Supports color variants (can dynamically recolor templates)
  • Supports dependencies (like dress is only selectable if you have also selected the female base)
  • Supports preview (use the left / right arrow keys to rotate the sprite and see all sides)
  • The resulting sprite sheet can be saved as a PNG file

Disadvantages: unlike the generator in the editor, JavaScript can't read in the directory entries, so you have to list the template filenames at the beginning of the file. There's no other data needed, just the list of the filenames. This is only an issue if you want to use this sprite generator with your own set of templates.

I've tested this with Firefox, but the code is pretty simple, there's nothing browser specific in it, no libraries used, no external cdn needed, etc. so should work on other browsers too out-of-the-box. If you encounter any problems, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Hope this will be useful to some of you too,
bzt
bzt

Re: TirNanoG Base Web Character Generator

Postby bzt » 20 May 2022, 16:06

There was a minor bug, on certain browsers you couldn't click on the filename text input field. This has been fixed.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt