[Feature Request] "Bumping" effect while building

[Feature Request] "Bumping" effect while building

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Mar 2011, 17:11

The DK games have this nice "bumping" effect when you build a room. If you build the room the camera moves like (x+5, y+5) and after like 0.05 seconds back to (x,y) and makes a bumping sound. I always liked this. I did an experimental sound for this, too.
Attachments
bump.flac
(5.79 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
StefanP.MUC

Re: [Feature Request] "Bumping" effect while building

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 18:54

Yes that was nice, although I am not sure how well this works when you allow building a whole room at once. Then the resulting playback of this sound 25 times for a 5x5 room might be annoying :S have you tried to make a file where you playback 1 sample, then 2 at once, then 3 at once, and so on? For a 5x5 room you would first hear 1 playback at once, then 2, then 3, then 5, then 3, then 2 and lastly 1. Is the room is build from one corner to the other corner.

I think that it will be very annoying, which is also very likely the reason why this is not done in DK2. In DK2 the sound was very neutal sounding, an the bumping did not occur. But I think we can still do it the way DK2 did.

How did you make the sound effect, and what recording equipment (mics) do you have?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Mar 2011, 19:32

If you build a 5x5 room then it should bump only once, of course. The whole 5x5 room is built after you release the mouse button - so it only bumps once if you drag the room over multiple tiles at once. It can also be less bumpy than it was in DK1, but I really think some "feedback" should be there.

I did the sound with this flash tool (thanks to freegamer for posting it ;) ):
http://ded.increpare.com/~locus/as3sfxr-b/
It's nice for creatung some basic sound effects. But this can only save wave files, so I converted it afterwards to flac with Audacity.
StefanP.MUC

Postby Bodsda » 15 Mar 2011, 15:41

DK2 used to have the bumb sound for each mouse click when creating a room, and then a looped 'whooshie' sound for each tile that was made. If you created a 5x5 room, the sounds could last for 5 seconds, but if you made a 10x10 room, the sound did last for longer (the whooshie sounds, not the bump.)
Bodsda
OD Moderator