[Feature request] Order buildings on walls

[Feature request] Order buildings on walls

Postby StefanP.MUC » 11 Mar 2011, 10:06

This bothered me already in DK1 and 2: You first have to order the imp to take down the walls, then wait until the tile is claimed and then order to build a room. It should be possible to just order building a room "on" a wall so that the imps take down the wall and directly claim the tile with the ordered room on it.
StefanP.MUC

Re: [Feature request] Order buildings on walls

Postby Bodsda » 11 Mar 2011, 14:43

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:This bothered me already in DK1 and 2: You first have to order the imp to take down the walls, then wait until the tile is claimed and then order to build a room. It should be possible to just order building a room "on" a wall so that the imps take down the wall and directly claim the tile with the ordered room on it.

I personally never found this to be an annoyance, but I can see the benfits it would bring and I quite like the idea. The only thing I would say is that if I was trying to set a 5x5 area to be the quarters, but accidentally selected the walls as well, I would not want them to be selected; that annoyed me in DK2

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Mar 2011, 14:49

This is an intersting idea, so what you are saying is, by dragging out a room on a area that hasn't been dug out the game would automatically mark the tiles for digging and build the room when all the tiles have been claimed. Bodsda's comment about selecting too big of an area accidentally is valid, we could maybe make it so when you mark a room that would require additional work (like digging) the engine spawns a small CEGUI window asking if you really want this, if the room can be built immediately then it will not pop up the window, just builds the room.

It is a little tricky to implement since I would have to add a system to store the 'queue' of rooms needing work before they can be built but it shouldn't be too difficult.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Bodsda » 11 Mar 2011, 14:54

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:This is an intersting idea, so what you are saying is, by dragging out a room on a area that hasn't been dug out the game would automatically mark the tiles for digging and build the room when all the tiles have been claimed. Bodsda's comment about selecting too big of an area accidentally is valid, we could maybe make it so when you mark a room that would require additional work (like digging) the engine spawns a small CEGUI window asking if you really want this, if the room can be built immediately then it will not pop up the window, just builds the room.

It is a little tricky to implement since I would have to add a system to store the 'queue' of rooms needing work before they can be built but it shouldn't be too difficult.

-Buck

Thats an excellent solution. Providing I can press enter to accept it rather than having to use the mouse.

The only other solution I could think of is not allowing you to select claimed tiles AND walls, only all walls or all tiles, but I guess this could equally annoy some people, for example if they wanted to extend a room

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 11 Mar 2011, 16:28

You should be very careful about this, having to click a small window or even pressing a key might ruin the flow of the game. I am pretty sure that it is much faster to simply undigging the accidentally marked tiles with the mouse.

I know it would annoy me to have to click a window or a key. Also if it does not happen often to you, you need to remember how to do it (remember they key to press) which you will easily forget if you do not make the mistake often, this again ruins the flow of the game.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 11 Mar 2011, 16:45

I'm also against a popup window. The accidently wall-removing is another thing that I didn't found very nice back in the old DK1/2 days. Maybe the keeper should be able to build new walls (I mean, the keeper can cast magic and build loads of different traps - so building a simple wall should be no problem at all for him).
StefanP.MUC

Postby MCMic » 11 Mar 2011, 16:58

If you can build walls, it's not the same game anymore.
I think this was the cleverest idea : "not allowing you to select claimed tiles AND walls, only all walls or all tiles"
(and I would say selecting walls and tiles result in selecting only the tile part)
MCMic

Postby StefanP.MUC » 11 Mar 2011, 17:09

What I meant was this: if you build quarters and only select walls, but select too much walls, e.g. the bordering wall from your hatchery, then it gets hacked down and you suddenly don't have separated rooms anymore but "mixed" hatchery-quarters.
In DK2 I often ended with having loose rooms, because I accidently removed some walls to much (and imps are quick ;) ).
That's why I think, the player should be able to build walls. But I agree that this shouldn't take overhand. This can easily be achieved: Only allow the keeper to build single-line walls that are not directly along another wall, so that only two connections to other walls are allowed: on both ends of the new wall.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 11 Mar 2011, 17:47

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:What I meant was this: if you build quarters and only select walls, but select too much walls, e.g. the bordering wall from your hatchery, then it gets hacked down and you suddenly don't have separated rooms anymore but "mixed" hatchery-quarters.
In DK2 I often ended with having loose rooms, because I accidently removed some walls to much (and imps are quick ;) ).
That's why I think, the player should be able to build walls. But I agree that this shouldn't take overhand. This can easily be achieved: Only allow the keeper to build single-line walls that are not directly along another wall, so that only two connections to other walls are allowed: on both ends of the new wall.

Yes we have already planned to be able to build walls. And the way we avoid you build to many walls is simply by making them cost enough gold and or mana.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby MCMic » 11 Mar 2011, 22:37

ok, expensive walls are a good idea.
MCMic