Some bug(?) reports

Some bug(?) reports

Postby StefanP.MUC » 08 Mar 2011, 10:12

I'm not sure if everything here is a bug, maybe it's just because of not-yet-balancing.

• If the server runs and I press Esc to quit, the game crashes sometimes. I think it always happens if a creature stats window is open (could be wrong though).
  • Sometimes the Kobolds just run around doing nothing, although there are explicit given tasks for them (gold mining, wall crushing), re-ordering the tasks often fixes this.
  • The attack-distance is far to low (sometimes my and the enemy creatures walk past without doing something).
  • Sometimes tiles are claimed, even if there's no kobold standing on it (not even near). Graphics bug (kobold invisible) or wrong calculation?
StefanP.MUC

Re: Some bug(?) reports

Postby oln » 08 Mar 2011, 10:32

The 3 first I would call bugs.
Regarding the tiles, there is a system that makes your area "grow", so tiles near your tiles will get claimed automatically after a while. Buck can probably explain this more in detail.

I added your new SF account. I got a bounce when I tried to reply to your mail, so I'm writing it here.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 08 Mar 2011, 10:56

Thank you. :)

Ah, didn't know about the auto-claiming.
StefanP.MUC

Postby Bodsda » 08 Mar 2011, 16:14

The kobolds not doing anything is likely a result of their action queue. If I remember correctly, there is a variable chance of entering the idle state every turn which andrew and I looked at last year. The value was set quite high so we could observe that the function works correctly. This bug should be a simple case of changing that variable to something lower. Andrew can probably elaborate on this further, or tell me I'm wrong :)

I havent looked at the code for a while, but I think (like most things) it was somewhere in ExampleFrameListener.cpp

Have you created these as bugs in the trac system on SF?

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 08 Mar 2011, 16:22

Its not exampleframelistener, its in creature.cpp. If you look at the doTurn() method you will se a big switch statement for all the AI states. The probabilities for transitions need to be looked at a lot more, I know very little about AI so I got it good enough to work and then went on to other things.

The tiles claiming themselves is not a bug as has been mentioned. Each turn a claimed tile gives .05 of its color to all its neighbors. When this reaches 1.0 the tile is claimed.

The crash on exit happens because one thread is removing everything from the game while the rendering thread, etc, continue to run. If they are in the middle of rendering a crature and it gets removed, the game can segfault. I just need to put in some synchronization points but I have several ways it could be done and I want to figure out what would be the best one. The segfault is only an annoyance, it doesn't prevent the game from working, so I gave it kind of a low priority.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 15:44

On windows I cannot build rooms (non of them shows up when I build them) :S, also the mouse movement is a bit flaky, sometimes the mouse jumps from one tile to another 2 positions away, and stays there, even though I do not hold the mouse on that tile.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Mar 2011, 16:17

I can confirm svenskmands reports.

I think the mouse button problem has something to do with the transparent "box" or "wall" that is displayed on top of the active tile. Sometimes the cursor is at the bottom of it and sometimes on top of it. But I can't say what's causing this behaviour, seems completly random to me.
StefanP.MUC