MekArcade Mecha

MekArcade Mecha

Postby charlie » 14 Oct 2012, 03:03

MekArcade is a Mech game creating with a modified version of the Red Eclipse engine.

They have some mechs! :)

viewtopic.php?p=35959#p35959
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: MekArcade Mecha

Postby hc » 15 Oct 2012, 21:47

Nice models and CC-BY-SA but I'd like to make sure that it would be ok with the authors.

So far only the md5mesh-Models are provided but mm3d-Models (MisfitModel 3D) are would be necessary to adjust the rig.
As a side note: Coincidently I've got my own md5mesh exporter for MisfitModel but I would like to try theirs, too.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Oct 2012, 22:07

Not sure whether he'll check back to that thread; other ways to contact him/them here:

http://teamxbow.org/
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 23 Oct 2012, 11:29

Hi competing mek developers,

I have been meaning to make contact for a while, but when I saw the post about our meka, I knew it was time. I'm glad you like them and you can use them freely according to the C & C licence. Please make sure you credit the respective artist (including me, if it's one of mine). If you improve them, send a copy to me, we could use the help.

Chicken Walkers Pack (original by Walter aka Jan Sluka, derived models by myself) - the original of these is the beholder (mek2) and in this pack there are 4 chicken walkers in md5 format, download from http://teamxbow.org/cube/models/models-mek/mek_chicken_walker_pack.rar These include a few extra animations that the original artist didn't do. I have made a misfit master but there have been a few problems (as always) with the animations. If you want to rerig them in blender then Walters originals smd are much 'cleaner', get 'em here: http://teamxbow.org/cube/models/models-mek/beholder_smd.rar

The human walker (mek 6) is by gabriella and myself and you can get it from http://teamxbow.org/cube/models/models-mek/mek6_v04.zip. These include a Misfit model. I have a family coming from this. I will post them as they get finished for the game. The post in the RE forums has list of animations etc.

We are trying to get an interim release out before the end of the year. The major delay is beacuse we are currently implementing a full dynamic lighting system (from tesserect) I have posted an update in the RE forum viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3660 about the next couple of months development and beyond. At the moment the Cube2 engine only does players and NPC with dyanamic lights. If Tesserect works as planned then you will have moving shadows from animated trees, shadows of falling buildings will fall, weapons and explosion effects gain dynamic lights and depth from shadows. It already looks pretty good, as you would expect from an RE based game, dynamic lights might take it to an even higher level.

If you want to find out more http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mekarcade/ The code is managed with Trac still. There are links to the Moddb site (graphics and a vid from a few months ago, there are a few more meka now) and old stuff; you can see where we have come from, and perhaps where we are going!

The team at present is small, I lead the project and do most of the modelling, Quin is the Lead Developer, my son Tom is the chief tester, and Gabriella still does some modelling work, but Walter went AWOL, I suspect to one of the commerial Mek games, he was a very, very good artist and Mek fan. We have some help with web and sound.

As you can see we are very happy to share our assets and it may be possible to collaborate in some more, mutally beneficial ways. I would be a happy man if I never had to work on a mek model ever again.

To coincide with the first release we are opening up the project. We will be looking for artists, mappers, testers etc. We are also interested in writers, web developers, musicians, people who know servers etc.

Watch out, I might come and poach some of your talent......

Cheers

CD
cdxbow

Postby hc » 23 Oct 2012, 20:52

The models used in LinWarrior are usually under cc-by/-sa, so you can feel free to to use them.
Model blender sources can be found on opengameart.org and blendswap.com
Or you can extract mm3d files from the git repository on github.

About your models, they look original to me, but just to be extra certain:
Can you verify/assert that your project doesn't use and doesn't accept unoriginal fanart?

Btw I'd like to encourage you to contribute/commit to opengameart.org for collaboration, too.

That could be the start of a free an open mech universe... :)
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 23 Oct 2012, 22:32

Chicken Walkers Pack are from an original model (Beholder) we commissioned from Walter aka Jan Sluka, you can see 2 of the original sketches for the beholder http://walter-nest.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96 . The other models in the pack have been derived by myself. Walter was supposed to provide a human walker, you can see a sketch on the same page of a Mek called Neutron, that should be mine! All the rest of the Meks in the Chicken pack have been done by me, derived from that original. I was pissed when he disappeared (and he had been paid for the second mek, but not delivered). You can see what a good artist he is. He has some pretty groovey paper, fold up mek designs.

Mek #6 is by an artist called Gabriella (the dark angel). The original had a cockpit that looked like a Madcat, which I have changed, to make it look less potetially infringing on MW copyright designs. I think it looks different enough. I have added a number of animations. The skin may need a work over. Unfortunately Gabriella designs always tend to always look a bit like a preexisting mek, though that is one of the challenges in making a mek game, avoiding legal action! Gabriella is currently not contributing to the project but may return. I am currently working on a heavy variant (or maybe 2) based on that chassis.

I have no problems with putting models up at OpenGameArt except I am lazy and can't be bothered. It's enough to put them up in the RE forums. Very happy to contribute to an 'open mech universe'; wouldn't it be nice to find some mek artists who will work on them and produce lots of meka for us to use.
cdxbow

Postby hc » 24 Oct 2012, 21:15

Great, as I can see, you take that matter similar serious, too.
That's good because we are trying to make something everlasting with value.

Perfectly can understand that kind of lazyness.
Maybe I can upload some of these models when I can get to it then.
I think that could encourage folks to model mechs and derivates - plus it can send some people along your way.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby hc » 24 Oct 2012, 21:27

Just want to give a link to a related open game art topic you may be interested in:
http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/idea-for-new-challenge-the-mech-workshop?page=1
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 24 Oct 2012, 22:41

I don't want to get into IP issues with the battletech/MW guys, so we do document the design & development of the Mek closely (we use Mek, rather than mech for the same reason) and make sure it looks different enough. I find that a real challenge, as there have been so many Meka designs done for the various franchises. We also make sure the original artists understands the models will be distributed with open licences.

Regarding OGA - I don't mind if someone puts them up or derivitive models. Just as long as there approriate attributions are intact and there is something like:

"CD Xbow is the most wonderful person in the mekaverse for giving away all this meka goodness" :)

Regarding the workshop, its a bit late for MekArcade! Maybe someone will use our models? My money is on riidom.

Also, can you tell me who does what in Linwarrior?
cdxbow

Postby hc » 25 Oct 2012, 19:23

I'm the core developer, modeller of the basic models, procedural artist and photo-textures.

Additional and nicer mechanoid models are by:

+ Skorpio (often seen on the featured OpenDungeons forum) http://opengameart.org/users/skorpio
+ hjmediastudios http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/hjmediastudios/
+ Nazzyc http://opengameart.org/users/nazzyc

Additional Sounds:
+ freesound.org

Reviews, youtube coverage and the role as the biggest fan, public supporter, bug reporter, etc. of Linwarrior:
+ qubodup

With honorable mention as a recognized supporter of Linwarrior:
+ charlie

OSX-Port:
+ Knitter

BTW: Art is with exception "salvaged bounty" from free/open content pages - there weren't any special commisions.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 25 Oct 2012, 23:11

Thanks hc,

I mainly wanted to know who to address questions to, they could be about your project, meka in general or technical questions regarding modelling. I don't have anyone currently in the project who has any real expertise in modelling and I am a self taught mug, so I often run into problems that I need help with.
cdxbow

Postby charlie » 26 Oct 2012, 12:37

You're probably best to ask those questions on www.opengameart.org forums, cdxbow. There's a lot of knowledgeable modellers on there.

http://opengameart.org/forums/3d-art
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hc » 26 Oct 2012, 16:20

Charlie is right, besides you'll meet a lot of folks from here there, too.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 01 Dec 2012, 22:44

Anyone out there done any work on the meka we put up?
cdxbow

Postby hc » 02 Dec 2012, 19:09

Not me at least.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 06 Dec 2012, 03:05

hc, it looks like I won't have to spend time beating off potential modellers with a stick! We are putting some tanks up and hoping someone may come and help us. Keep a look out in the RE forums.
cdxbow

Postby cdxbow » 06 Jan 2013, 08:15

Happy 2013 to the all the Linwarrior team, though it does seem pretty quiet over here. Are you all playing Hawken? MWO is probably more your thing. I just want to let you know what's happening with MekArcade (in the suddenly very crowded Mek game market) in 2013.

Feb 2013 will see a 'developers release' of MekArcade and if it doesn't I will publicly pluck out my eyeball. This will be a fully working MP online game, but will need development, testing and balancing. Prior to my potential denucleation we are going to be advertising for formal postions within the project as well as setting up a 'casual jobs' board.

I hope we can poach some talent collaborate more in 2013. We also have a few model packs coming out, and we are thinking we may sponsor a model challenge this year. I'm happy to hear suggestions, but a meka model would be my first thought. Working tank tracks is another. I'd be happy to do it through OGA if someone makes it easy for me. So 2013 is going to be a big year, not just for MekArcade, but for RE too.
cdxbow

Postby hc » 08 Jan 2013, 21:55

Happy 2013, cdxbow.
Well, I'm busy committing ;) [not] https://github.com/hackcraft-de/linwarr ... its/master

Well with some lobbying and persuation, maybe this year an OpenGameArt.org mech-yard-challenge, like the ship-yard-project could be started.
There is public interest and demand for such a project/challenge but somebody has to take the organisational lead.
I'd put some money into that effort but sadly have (nearly) no time to put into it to maintain such a challenge.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 08 Jan 2013, 23:20

Thanks for getting back hc,

Who would have the time to run a meka modelling challenge?
How much $$$$ would be needed as the prize?
Have you thought about requirements/specifications?

wrt to the last, I would be looking for a fully animated model that is in a skeletally animated format that can be seen working in RE. I would also ask for original model and for the animations and mesh to be exported in smd format. The model would have to be the artists own work and be released with an open licence.
cdxbow

Postby hc » 09 Jan 2013, 01:00

I think it isn't primarily about prices or money necessary, but stating on OGA that you'd be a backer would be fine.
"I am dedicated enough to bet some money" - maybe it's symbolic but with enough people and the notion that there are enough people...

Btw. normal weekly challenges are for the glory.
And it is an unspoken obligation that everything on OpenGameArt.org is free and original (to best will).

As for requirements: I would be fine with whatever can be done and what people do best - the technical requirements may be different though but they are low for linwarrior (not-unwrapped, untextured, unanimated blank mesh is enough). So I'm not requesting any requirements, I would be happy with a open challenge.
There are likeminded and fellows for the "building-blocks" fraction. And there are people who like to build complete animated models.

For me, for linwarrior and the open source robot domain any OGA mech/mek challenge would be great.
Maybe it isn't for your immediate needs but I think (like some OGA fellows) that more or less universal building blocks, or standards or basics could result in a richer and expanding open robot ecosystem.

Small steps are better than nothing at all - so I would be glad with any challenge and I trust that there is enough variety to get us one step further.

...Maybe time to stop babling and revive this thread and to ripen the idea:
http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/idea-for-new-challenge-the-mech-workshop?page=1
(take your time to read it)
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 23 Jan 2013, 01:07

I have removed the 'big pig' because of the difficulty getting convincing turn movements and the physics limitations of the engine. I built Mek #9 out of #7, it's still got a bit to do. Pictured here with 2 textures from other meks quickly applied.
mek9.jpg

The only problem is, to my eye it looks a bit like another mek, but I can't pick which. You know how paranoid I am about infringing copyright, can any of you mek savvy people tell me if it looks too much like a prexsisting mek?

btw I contacted OGA last week re a competition, no reply yet.
cdxbow

Postby charlie » 23 Jan 2013, 02:39

Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hc » 23 Jan 2013, 19:04

dunno
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby cdxbow » 23 Jan 2013, 23:13

Charlie, you must have left your specs somewhere, it doesn't look like ED209. Wowie got it, a dreadnaught from Warhammer, its the shoulder armour shape that gives it a silhouette very similar. The dreadnaught is a bit squatter, nonetheless it's back to the drawing board.....
cdxbow

Postby charlie » 23 Jan 2013, 23:27

You clearly have no sense of humour or nostalgia! (And by no, I mean nothing like mine!)
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator