Recent player/interested user suggestions

Recent player/interested user suggestions

Postby Knitter » 18 Jul 2011, 16:08

I played a little with the current code, from the GIT repository available for download, and I miss what most games have: menus, missions, usable content :). So I would like to see more work on that area, at least basic mission support (is there any? ) and the ability to change basic settings ingame.

I know that most comments have been talking about creating a public repository, I don't want to repeat those requests but... can we have one? Can we? :). I know that the current download option allows us to have a sneak peak of the code, and I understand that even if you create a public repository that repository doesn't necessarily contain the most updated code, but I think it offers a feeling of... secureness. Still, I'm glad to have the current option to download a the repository.

This turned out to be a much bare post than I had anticipated :), still I think that working towards a more complete game feeling would help gather more suggestions, most users don't see much when looking at the current state of the project.

I like mech games, a lot! It's the only reason I have a Windows XP installation :), and would like to see this became a more mature game.

Regards,

Knitter
Knitter

Re: Recent player/interested user suggestions

Postby Knitter » 19 Jul 2011, 11:05

I was wondering if you have thought about a way to implement missions? I've been looking at the code and I see there is a base class for generic missions and a class for the current test mission, other than what is written have you given any thought towards supporting missions in the game?

I would like to give it a try, not that I expect my code to be accepted in the project or anything, but I'd like to make a few tests with implementing missions in the game, maybe have a mission editor (not anytime soon).

Also, any objections on me putting my tests on Github?
Knitter

Postby hc » 19 Jul 2011, 20:11

Go ahead, as long as you don't plan to sell mac versions without donating back ;)

As for missions and everything else, plans are always a bit shifting (LinWarrior is some kind of sandbox pet project).

You've noticed there are some small preparations, so you could subclass that mission base class to begin with.
Of course you could try to make a mission-file loader that:

- defines terrain (land is fractal)
- defines terrain modificators (modifications to the fractal land - ie. make plain land here and there)
- places objects
- sets objectives (fail if this or that object is destroyed, success if this or that object is destroyed - or totally different conditions)
- defines player party (a follows b)
- defines enemy parties

What's lacking at this moment is the ability to control the mech model and texture (these are randomized/hardcoded in the mech class).
Same with the Planetmap terrain type.
I think you could adapt that if you've come that far.

Make me proud :)

I myself (currently) plan to add a console / command-language which may ultimately may be used for missions.
But it may be a good idea for you to structurize your mission scripts like commandline commands, too.
If you'd like to make such mission-commands you're welcome to discuss possible/necessary commands here in the Feedback, Ideas & General forum.

[edit: changed forum for follow-up-discussion to Feedback, Ideas & General]
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby hc » 19 Jul 2011, 20:44

A fresh linwarrior.git.tar.gz is online (still without mac changes).
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Knitter » 19 Jul 2011, 20:47

hc {l Wrote}:Go ahead, as long as you don't plan to sell mac versions without donating back ;)

If I ever get to the point of selling anything based on a free software project I would, definitely, give back some of the profits. At the very least, I would pay the devs a beer :D, alas, I'm not there yet.

hc {l Wrote}:As for missions and everything else, plans are always a bit shifting (LinWarrior is some kind of sandbox pet project).

It will be a pet project for me also, something to take my mind of the other projects I have.

hc {l Wrote}:Of course you could try to make a mission-file loader that:

- defines terrain (land is fractal)
- defines terrain modificators (modifications to the fractal land - ie. make plain land here and there)
- places objects
- sets objectives (fail if this or that object is destroyed, success if this or that object is destroyed - or totally different conditions)
- defines player party (a follows b)
- defines enemy parties

Small steps at a time, at the moment I would be glad if I could create a mission file, most likely using XML, and a loader class, most likely a sub-class of cMission, and have the basic for a mission in place: player, terrain and needed objects and a few enemies.

hc {l Wrote}:If you'd like to make such mission-commands you're welcome to discuss possible/necessary commands here in the Content Suggestions & Collaboration forum.

I don't really have a thought out plan, I've just been looking at the code and trying to learn a bit more about it. So I'll most likely start with something and end up rewriting or changing/adapting later on.

I'll place the code in Github so any change I make can be pulled and will try to update the code with any change you release, this project will be mostly a small hobby and I don't have any intention of making it a fork or creating a new isolated project.
Knitter

Postby hc » 19 Jul 2011, 21:51

What do you consider "ability to change basic settings ingame"?
Any special on your mind, or just for completeness?
I am aware that there are things a game needs just to look complete.
Even the loading screen added a lot to completeness.
(@qubodup: I am afraid there wont be an animated progress bar in the near future...problems with opengl thread-safety)
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Knitter » 19 Jul 2011, 22:10

Things like screen resolution, key mappings, sound volume, sound on/off, the usual stuff you see in a settings screen. It would add the feeling or completeness. Though these are only extra things and not as important as the core, it helps look at the project and "see" a game in it. Of course, I'm assuming you want more users to the game, if that's not a short to mid term goal, those things can wait.

But hey!, this is just me after only a few days looking at the project :)
Knitter

Postby Knitter » 19 Jul 2011, 23:16

My changes can be followed in https://github.com/Knitter/linwarrior3du.

At the moment only the basic configuration has been made, this includes update to the code (my patch will fail in the latest git version), makefile and NetBeans IDE project settings, removal of "private" folder, new README file with goals (not much to read :) ).

I used the last "git package" available in LW3D website.
Knitter