F.L.O.P.S.Y (Blendswap/Hjmediastudios) [integrated]

F.L.O.P.S.Y (Blendswap/Hjmediastudios) [integrated]

Postby charlie » 08 Feb 2011, 17:06

Found here:
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/char ... l-o-p-s-y/

Integration status: unknown

It is a bit... pink. Although, for some, that might be half the fun!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: F.L.O.P.S.Y (Blendswap)

Postby hc » 15 Feb 2011, 12:49

Here's a photography of Flopsy after he/she went to war. What a mean death machine!
Attachments
flopsy.png
flopsy.png (136.12 KiB) Viewed 11086 times
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Feb 2011, 13:17

Wow, that looks really good! :shock: :cool:

Have you improved the texture generation?
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hc » 15 Feb 2011, 14:22

Just another texture/generator I made before put to use - they are interchangeable. For example the Scorpion (by scorpio) shows the desert-camo-texture. And this model shows urban/sea-camo with randomly blended in rust. It would likewise work with desert-camo and dust or desert-camo and blank-metal. This one just looks better/more detailed than desert-camo. Besides having a more complex model makes the automatic texturing look even better. On my original simple blocky model it doesn't nearly look as good. The generator is only limited by pre-calculation time and texture memory at this point - and you need to be able to compose textures. It is important to have a look outside the (game) programming pond - lots to find in the artistic domain.

What I mentioned before was the probable possibility to use 2d-textures to blend over materials eg from camo to steel/rust to give more control to the model artist (you don't need to be an texture artist). Eg to make edges more shiny, change material half way or let rust accumulate in crevices :twisted:. But that's future - no promises - it would assume a transition to shaders eventually.

The next step would be to support different materials on a model at all I guess.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby qubodup » 15 Feb 2011, 15:07

quite amazing! and interesting read!

although I'll probably never get over the hilarity of the crotch gun, especially when rain is dripping.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 15 Feb 2011, 15:45

I think if you combined that texture with a normal map, and perhaps a detail map, it would look incredible.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hc » 19 Feb 2011, 20:07

Don't forget baked AO... ;)

Btw instead of solid texturing, it may be fitting to bake procedural 2d textures (or just use the ones blender or the artist provides). The procedural baking would just demand an unwrapped model and would then fill/bake the texture for the polygons. As you suggested the artist may provide additional detail-maps, material-maps, bump-maps, and so on. The advantage to using finished blender/artist created textures would be the ability to create a lot of variations automatically and consistent (consistent here == all units of one sub-/faction with same or similar camo). While this is less dynamic it would reduce CPU/GPU/memory overhead a lot.

Well, I'll let that idea boil for a while (pushed to sometime-maybe-list).
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator