Character inspirations for a fighting game

Character inspirations for a fighting game

Postby Wolverine18 » 08 Oct 2017, 08:17

Hi, Wolverine18 here from the U.S. I am new to these forums and I am just getting myself involved into developing and designing a game. I plan on making it horror themed with monsters and slasher styled characters like a guy with claws, a machete guy, chainsaw guy, ..etc. Where would be a good place for me to find inspiration of styles and martial art moves thst would fit for the slasher killers? Like what style would suit best for a chainsaw guy or machete guy? I'd appreciate your guys opinions. Thanks.
Wolverine18

Re: Character inspirations for a fighting game

Postby Creator » 12 Oct 2017, 19:23

Hello! This is my first post outside of the introduction thread. I would like to say your idea of a horror themed fighting game is unique. While games have had horror(scary/gruesome) elements, I can't think of any that fully focused on it. My advice, if you are thinking about looking for fighting style inspiration, is to not worry too much about a source, because you have the freedom to make it up, as there is not real source to look for such a style. No real would fighters that is using chainsaw and what not. Now if you think about it, there is the classic horror movies to source from, but the best thing is to think about your genre of horror. If you look at your characters(fighters), what is each one trying to convey? Do you have a back story for each one? Will they have fixed fighting style, or be able to increase and level their abilities, hit ratio, strength and speed? For example, a guy could be a chainsaw wilding nut that just swings his weapon with no grace and style, or make him a former lumber jack worker that got a plague from foresting, making him insane but with legitimate skill. He could be a captured by a international group seeking the most fearsome killers. Or just take creative licence and have it all be stylized. I would suggest no matter if a back store is had to each character that gives them a boundary definition, pick either specific rules for weapon use, more real, or completely stylized, the later giving more room to just have attacks low, high, and heavy (standard fighting game approach) Like wise the weapon if more realistic, be limited in there use. You can kind of intuitively think about how a weapon would react, and fit it to the characters size. Knife welding is fast but requires close combat, chainsaw is not nimble but powerful as all hell.
Creator

Postby c_xong » 13 Oct 2017, 00:10

These slasher characters have exaggerated weapons to make them seem scary. The focus is clearly on their ridiculous weapons, so I would focus on those. If you animate them by moving the center of gravity very close to the weapon, it would make the weapons seem much heavier.

As for martial arts, I would look for those that look appropriate rather than those that are practical for the weapon. Horror is not realistic anyway, so focus on what looks good. For example, Jackie Chan's choreography was inspired a lot by his Peking Opera training, which has flashy moves and lots of poses in between strikes. The movie 300 uses Filipino two-stick fighting techniques, which looks flashy and you can see it in how the Spartans leap about and use both their shields and spears for strikes of all kinds.

I would look for martial arts that both look flashy and used for heavy weapons. Try looking for fighting styles for things like battle axes, heavy polearms that are swung (e.g. Guandao).
c_xong

Postby Wolverine18 » 17 Oct 2017, 05:23

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I've been working hard with this idea of this horror themed fighter for a long time. But I'm still trying to figure out certain backstories that would fit with their use of weapon and their fighting skills.
Wolverine18

Postby Wolverine18 » 05 Nov 2017, 02:04

I just have one quick question, what would be the best advice when creating horror characters like a clown themed fighter, a scarecrow, prisoner, evil snowman and butcher be taken seriously and be actual trained brutal fighters with combat skills rather than being viewed as silly gimmick cliches?

I appreciate any advise, thanks
Wolverine18