Open Source Adventure game similar to Sonic Adventure

Open Source Adventure game similar to Sonic Adventure

Postby Game Gear » 30 May 2016, 18:10

Since playing the best selling Sega Dreamcast game, Sonic Adventure, I've been inspired to create a game similar to it. The only problem is, I have no knowledge of coding. What I want is to form a team of developers to help me create this game. Here are my ideas.

1. Compatibility. This game needs to be compatible with the latest and previous versions of Windows and Linux (If you wanna make an OS X version, go ahead.) It will need to support Windows XP SP3. Ubuntu 10.04 compatibility or 12.04 would be nice. I would want to keep the system requirements lower. Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 96 MB of Video memory (Intel 86256G support if possible.) Most people today will have more than enough power with those requirements, but support for older computers like my IBM Thinkcentre (I have newer PCs like my Alienware m17x) would be great.

2. Isometric or 3D gameplay. If 3D is too hard (although OpenArena is 3D) then I'll settle for isometric like in Sonic 3D Blast. I wouldn't need the cutscenes like in Sonic Adventure, but if that is possible, that would be so cool. If we did, I could do some voices.

3. Music. We'd need free, uncopyrighted music that would fit the game well.

4. Create our own engine or use one that already exists. I have no knowledge of good engines.

5. Sprites, backgrounds, and other stuff I didn't mention.

I've come up with 2 ideas for characters, plot, and stuff like that. This is the main one. Similar idea to Super Tux Kart, but no Kart racing and more Sonic Adventure style gameplay. The GNU leader guy is kidnapped by whoever it was that kidnapped him in STK. Tux, Penny, The BSD devil (forget the name), Pidgin (is that name right? I forget. It's been awhile since I used linux), and 2 other characters from linux (Give me ideas) go on separate missions to rescue their leader. If you like this idea, then I'll give more details like different moves and action stages. Thanks.
Game Gear

Re: Open Source Adventure game similar to Sonic Adventure

Postby charlie » 31 May 2016, 11:11

Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby onpon4 » 31 May 2016, 12:30

You're never going to find anyone on the Internet who will help you on a game just because you have an idea. Most libre programs are worked on only by a single developer. Only the really good stuff gets development teams (made up of volunteers who decide they want to make they game better). As an example, I contributed to Naev because I saw that it was a great game that just needed some improvements, so I made some of those improvements (and will be making more in the future).

So what you should do is get started and expect to do all of the work by yourself. You asked about 3-D game engines; I would recommend Godot Engine for new projects.

Alternatively, maybe you could use Sonic Robo Blast 2 as a base (it's a 3-D Sonic game made with the Doom engine):

https://www.srb2.org/
onpon4

Postby Game Gear » 31 May 2016, 15:20

So, what you're saying is, if I create a few levels, characters, and stuff, then people might help me expand it? In that case, what do I need to know to build the game? Also, could I use Sonic characters instead of Tux and other Linux characters, or is that illegal (Just making sure.) I'll take a look at OpenSurge and Sonic Robo Blast 2.
Game Gear

Postby Andrettin » 31 May 2016, 19:19

Game Gear {l Wrote}:So, what you're saying is, if I create a few levels, characters, and stuff, then people might help me expand it? In that case, what do I need to know to build the game?

You could take a look at the Godot engine:
http://www.godotengine.org/

Also, could I use Sonic characters instead of Tux and other Linux characters, or is that illegal (Just making sure.)

That is illegal: it would infringe on their copyright (and likely some trademarks as well).
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Game Gear » 31 May 2016, 20:40

Andrettin {l Wrote}:
Also, could I use Sonic characters instead of Tux and other Linux characters, or is that illegal (Just making sure.)

That is illegal: it would infringe on their copyright (and likely some trademarks as well).

Then how did Sonic Team Junior create Sonic Robo Blast 2? Did they have to get permission?

To create a 3D game with Tux, I'd want a 3D sprite. Are any good one's available and if so, where?
Game Gear

Postby Andrettin » 31 May 2016, 22:41

Game Gear {l Wrote}:Then how did Sonic Team Junior create Sonic Robo Blast 2? Did they have to get permission?

Apparently they don't have permission, so they would be breaching copyright, which is illegal. The copyright-holder likely doesn't care enough to pursue them, but that doesn't make it legal.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby leilei » 31 May 2016, 22:52

Has anyone here even played Sonic Adventure? None of the suggested games are even remotely similar.

Think Mario 64's free roaming fully 3D platformer levels, except you're fast and slipping all over the place, battling sloppy controls, bad camera angles, and obviously choreographed cinematic level changes/destruction, as well as taking care of some "pets" on the side for no reason other than riding the tamagotchi trends.

It's usually nostalgia that keeps SA alive rather than the game itself (which was always clunky and doesn't hold up over time). It's more of a "maybe the dreamcast aggressive marketing and hype worked a little too good for some" problem to me.
leilei

Postby onpon4 » 01 Jun 2016, 00:00

I've never played that, but I could see from a gameplay video that it's a 3-D Sonic game, so SRB2 is the closest thing there is to it that's libre. ;)

On a side note, there's an argument to be had regarding whether or not fangames are fair use in the U.S. I think it depends on the game. Straight-up clones, obviously not fair use. New games that just utilize certain images and characters but are otherwise entirely original, probably fair use. The trademark problem can be avoided by a prominent disclaimer.
onpon4