low poly fps with vehicles

low poly fps with vehicles

Postby zpimp » 28 Aug 2015, 12:22

i have this idea for a long time

cause such thing doesent exist, a shooter with vehicles that could run on linux
the reasons for this would be small size (cause of low poly and low detail textures)
ability to run on integrated graphic opensource drivers (all linux pc's probably even servers)
there are lots of low poly games, but all of them has visual effects turned on
probably this is the magic of gaming but if you dont want to end up like the rest, take a diffrent path
thousands of indie games with AAA graphics unplayable and wasted time cause they put gfx before gameplay

(im planning to waste corporate resource the same way idsoftware did when doom2 was released) :)

depending on content it would be under 100mb for sure, maybe even 20mb
for example subrosa (not FOSS) is 3mb (multiplayer boxy models shooter with cars in a city map)
this game could be included on any distro, this is the idea and hopefully the product im giving back to the community

THIS MUST BE MADE

i would make it from scratch, sdl/opengl but then i would have to implement networking myself, wich is too much work
(not counting i dont have any idea where to begin with or the time)

i specifically want it to be open source, cause proprietary vendor lock-in can render your work useless
(thought about unity3d but they are dropping middleware with new versions so it has to be foss)

so the only reasonable choice is to mod an open source engine, thinking about darkplaces/xonotic
since it already has working vehicles (even though is "an ugly hack" as one of the members said)

IT IS WORKING, all it needs is some big flat open space maps and simple ugly models
for very limited resources probably all effects should be off

basically what i want to do is a mod of a mod

to recap. its just an idea, i have a bit of coding experience (not game related) and dont have alot of time, shitty job
also thought about ioquake3, but that doesnt have vehicles afaik
any suggestions are welcome
zpimp

Re: low poly fps with vehicles

Postby Julius » 28 Aug 2015, 14:44

Sounds a bit like Quake3Rally:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-3-rally
I think they had a ioQuake3 based release some time ago and you could contribute to that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 29 Aug 2015, 00:35

This springs to mind:
http://slickworm.sourceforge.net/

I know too much :P gah!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby zpimp » 29 Aug 2015, 15:18

not q3rally too much detail, even though that vehicle physics is nice

slickworm looks nice, but starting from scratch needs all the networking stuff, and thats huge

the advantage of a idtech engine is its modular, parts can be switched by changing files:
textures, models,maps, animations
it already has all the technical parts solved
would be nice if rockstar(gta) and ea/dice(battlefield) would opensource its games like id did, but this aint happening
zpimp