A question about displaying item mods

A question about displaying item mods

Postby Vandar » 19 Feb 2015, 14:33

I have noticed that for some mental confusion, I have chosen two styles of display for magic item mods. Well, actually 3, if one is picky.

pre_or_post_numbers.jpg
pre_or_post_numbers.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 3797 times

Sometimes I mention the amount first, sometimes I mention the effect first. The item shown above gives examples of both styles, mixed. Which style do you prefer? I think I should choose one and use it for all mods?

PS: And I have mixed two spellings of defence ... *sigh*
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Re: A question about displaying item mods

Postby Akien » 19 Feb 2015, 14:45

I like something like "Resist fire +7%", but where the modifier amount (+7%) would be coloured (probably in green if positive, in red if negative). This makes it easier to have a quick overview of the overall "coolness" of the item if it has half a dozen of mods.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Re: A question about displaying item mods

Postby Vandar » 19 Feb 2015, 14:52

At the moment all mods are positive. One of the former versions had negative mods too, you could get a "Shield of the Sieve" with reduced defense, but I finally decided against it, because it seemed to conflict with the item durability, which also influences the items main stat. E.g. a shield with low durability provides less defense, and durability goes down if the shield is used in combat.

It isn't too hard though to make the display more colorful :cool:
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar