Jack Churchill: 2D platformer suggestion

Jack Churchill: 2D platformer suggestion

Postby beltsonata » 19 Dec 2009, 14:47

Hello!

I thought I'd dive right in with this game idea I've been tinkering with in my head for the last few months. Essentially, the game would be a 2D platformer with a WW2 European-setting, based largely upon the life of a British soldier called Jack Churchill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

The entire page is worth reading but I'll summarise some of the more colourful passages about his life:

"Nicknamed "Fighting Jack Churchill" and "Mad Jack", [he] was an English soldier who fought throughout World War II armed with a bow, arrows and a claymore. He once said "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed.""

This is a claymore:

"...he led 2 Commando from their landing site at Catania in Sicily with his trademark claymore slung around his waist and a longbow and arrows around his neck and his bagpipes under his arm"

"Volunteered for the Commandos after fighting at Dunkirk. Churchill was not sure what Commando Duty entailed, but he signed up because it sounded dangerous."

"...near l'Epinette, France....Churchill gave the signal to attack by cutting down the enemy Feldwebel (sergeant) with his barbed arrows, becoming the only known British soldier to have felled an enemy with a longbow in the course of the war..."

"Churchill was second in command of No. 3 Commando in Operation Archery, a raid on the German garrison at Vågsøy, Norway on December 27, 1941.[2] As the ramps fell on the first landing craft, Churchill leapt forward from his position playing The March of the Cameron Men on bagpipes, threw a grenade, and began running towards the bay."

Now, I know WW2 games have been done to death, but I think this idea represents an attractive niche. It has a real-life basis with a large amount of vividly detailed background information, suggestions for different scenarios just waiting to be used, and a central character is charismatic [demented?] enough to attract players and developers. Plus, everyone loves blowing shit up. :D

The image I have in my head for Jack's look is of a slightly-cartoonish but fairly realistic-looking British soldier, madly bouncing around a 2D level obliterating the enemy and leading his troops. I've got a basic idea for where the bagpipes could come in, such as giving temporary invincibility/making the enemy panic or such. At the moment I just want to get the idea as a whole out there and see what interest there is to it..

So what interest is there?

(btw I'm a coder + musician with absolutely zero drawing/painting skills :D)

edit: I should add that I spent a couple of weeks over the summer trying to get a very basic pygame prototype working firing arrows, without much success (largely because pygame is quite badly designed and results in you dumping most stuff in main() ) so I'm on the lookout for a decent, cross-platform engine to use. Preferably with python and/or java bindings. ;)
beltsonata

Re: Jack Churchill: 2D platformer suggestion

Postby beltsonata » 17 Feb 2010, 15:48

So, has anyone got any ideas for this, be they game design, libraries to use, graphics, sounds....?
beltsonata

Postby qubodup » 18 Feb 2010, 14:03

Hi!
beltsonata {l Wrote}:So, has anyone got any ideas for this, be they game design, libraries to use, graphics, sounds....?

Well my first thought was that you could take tLoE and mod it. Or do the same to Ardentryst. If you're friends with the idea of building on top of an existing game, then the biggest problem I see would be getting the soldier/army graphics. I assume you have Metal Slug style as an inspiration? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby beltsonata » 18 Feb 2010, 14:46

Yeah, Metal Slug and similar games are definitely the kind of fun I'm aiming for! :D
Constantly being barraged by countless enemies from the point of view of a semi-invincible psychofreak. Good times. :D

To be honest, the idea of modding something else for this project hadn't crossed my mind, but it is definitely a good idea as it would save a lot of work. I'll look into those and see whether either could work.

Are you an artist? ;)
beltsonata

Postby qubodup » 18 Feb 2010, 21:29

beltsonata {l Wrote}:Are you an artist? ;)

Nah, I only ever made one incomplete platfromer-ish sprite.. You could ask on http://opengameart.org/ for help, but usually contributors are shy to add to a project that has ideas but yet nothing to play. Also if you are aiming for a Metal Slug look, that is a very high-hanging fruit I think (good quality, which can only be matched by few artists in the open source game dev scene).

Hm.. I now remembered that grumbel(he would be one of the artists mentioned above :) ) is working on a platfromer game, which actually might even be visually relatively close to your aim: Windstille.

I do not know if it is playable yet though.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby remaxim » 20 Feb 2010, 19:03

So how far are you atm?

Amazing game idea and I am totally for it. I can't help much unfortunately but I can contribute a little. I can do programming (python and pyglet), music and sounds ... maybe some other stuff as well, but definitely not graphics.
remaxim

Postby beltsonata » 21 Feb 2010, 12:30

@qubodup: Thanks for the links. I like your weird sprite dude - would look good as a loading screen for something. :D

@remaxim: That's cool, the most important thing right now is ideas and suggestions for game design, a nice game engine to use and general enthusiasm. :)

I'm not really very far along at all. I'm pretty much starting again, but with slightly more ideas... The main problem has been finding the right engine and finding other people to help.

Is pyglet any good for game dev? I see it uses OpenGL which would give us a nice cross-platform backbone for the project but is apparently less easy when rendering 2D graphics. As mentioned previously, I tried out pygame but got frustrated with the layout of the modules and rendering speed (although the latter is probably my fault).

I'm still focusing on using python or some other high-level language such as ruby or perhaps lua. Also, I'm on the lookout for platform game tutorials/articles etc...

EDIT:

I thought I'd share some photos of our man, Mad Jack, in case someone who can draw sees them..!

I've finally found a decent picture of his face:

...and I'm trying to work out which 1950s actor he reminds me of...

Here's another, where he's got his sword (bit small, but shows him with his posse) :)

Nice longbow photo: Image

Nice, enormous profile pic, feat. his trusty claymore:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGall ... alerno.jpg
(linked due to size)

So yeah. He existed alright. :)
beltsonata

Postby qubodup » 21 Feb 2010, 13:12

beltsonata {l Wrote}:I like your weird sprite dude - would look good as a loading screen for something. :D

lulz :D

beltsonata {l Wrote}:Is pyglet any good for game dev? I see it uses OpenGL which would give us a nice cross-platform backbone for the project but is apparently less easy when rendering 2D graphics. As mentioned previously, I tried out pygame but got frustrated with the layout of the modules and rendering speed (although the latter is probably my fault).

So you decided against using an existing platformer engine?

One more: I believe that the http://www.frogatto.com/ team is working on a general-purpose platformer engine in Lua (not too sure). Also, *the* general-purpose 2D Lua game engine would be http://love2d.org/ :) It also uses OpenGL btw.

I am sure there is nothing radical to say against Pyglet. If you do not like its structure, perhaps http://www.pygame.org/ will suit you better. If you have OpenGL rendering speed problems: do you have them in other games as well? Linux Intel GfxCard drivers are not pleasantly fast, as I realize whenever running OpenGL games on my EeePC.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby beltsonata » 21 Feb 2010, 13:38

So you decided against using an existing platformer engine?

No, I haven't decided upon anything yet, I'm weighing up my options. I'm unsure whether it would be easier to learn a few libraries and cobble together my own engine on top of pygame/pyglet/love/whetever, or learn some else's third-party code and adapt to it... Any thoughts?

I am sure there is nothing radical to say against Pyglet. If you do not like its structure, perhaps http://www.pygame.org/ will suit you better.

I think you're confused; I mentioned that I've used pygame and was unhappy with it, but I haven't actually used pyglet, so I may have a play around with that later. Too many damn libraries starting with 'py'...

I'll take a look at frogatto; thanks for the link. I'm also going to have a look at what Love2d can do via here:

http://love2d.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
beltsonata

Postby beltsonata » 28 Oct 2010, 19:59

Well, that was a bit of a gap. Sorry, been studying :) Here's an update.

I'm currently working on a prototype platformer called DieDieDie in a Java library called Slick.
Slick is nice as it integrates well with Tiled so I've been able to create a basic platform engine quite quickly (a few days).

So far I've got some basic collision detection and hacky physics code working and added the ability to fire arrows from a bow (bow not drawn yet) with the mouse. The longer the LMB is held down, the more power the arrow has (until it hits max) and the shot can be aimed freely with the mouse until the LMB is released. Currently I'm quite please with how it feels to use.

There are no enemies yet and all the graphics are TERRIBLE because I drew them myself / used basic ones available in the Slick tutorials. Yet I still feel the urge to leave a screenshot, even though it gives no indication of how silkily smooth those arrows fall... ;)

As I said, I'm not an artist... Are you?

Seriously, I'm looking for art / idea help. I don't mind programming the sod.

Below is the github page. Sorry, I know, I haven't put license info on it yet, but it'll be GPL / bsd / whatever, something very liberal :). Everything will be free (including all my 'art', heh)

DieDieDie - Git
beltsonata

Postby beltsonata » 24 Jul 2011, 17:42

UPDATE!

Sorry for the 'slight' delay. Here's a very-slightly-different screenshot compared to last time:

Ooh yeah, you gonna diieeeee

So, I've got to a stage where you can run-'n'-jump and shoot arrows at the (lone) Enemy. The arrows are flying nicely, and now I need to get my enemies fighting back! I'm currently working on enemy AI. I thought an element of stealth would be nice, so enemies will become 'alerted' if they sense you're around, chase you for a bit, until you kill or evade them for long enough.

More updates coming soon...
beltsonata

Postby mcDaur » 14 Aug 2011, 13:36

so any more updates so far?
What is a signal booster. Read here
mcDaur

Postby beltsonata » 14 Aug 2011, 14:34

I'm currently re-designing the AI for the Nth time as I've not been happy with it at all. Coming up with a nice modular design for handling enemy AI is a bit tricky, so I've been repeating the same mistakes somewhat. I should probably start simply, see how it plays and add more as I gather ideas (and suggestions).

I have a week off working starting tomorrow so I hope to do a lot of design and coding. If anyone wants to check out the code and try it out, feel free. I'm all ears for suggestions. I can send the relevant eclipse files too if necessary. :)
beltsonata

Postby beltsonata » 15 Aug 2011, 17:05

Here's a short demo of the current build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvE2y4r210

Sorry it looks so jerky, it's pretty smooth IRL. Anyway, you get the general idea...
beltsonata