The Survivors [Working Title]

The Survivors [Working Title]

Postby RonthisTW » 03 Sep 2014, 04:45

This is an idea I came up with a while ago. Hope you enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Overview

Common Questions

What is the game?

“The Survivors” is a 2D Strategy-RPG. The player assumes the role of the survivors of a plane crash, and must survive long enough in the wilderness to make it home alive.

Why create this game?

I have always been a fan of survival-type games. I hope that players can have just as much fun with “The Survivors” as I did with Oregon Trail, and other games that gave me my inspiration.

Where does the game take place?

The crash-zone of the plane will be randomized. The plane can crash anywhere from snowy tundras, green forests, and hot deserts. The different crash-zones will have different effect on the survivors. For example, snowy areas will make your party very cold, and increase the chance of frostbite. The heat of desert areas will fatigue the survivors much quicker, and increase the chance of heatstroke. This combined with random events, makes it so that no two game sessions are the same.

Who do I control?

The player controls a party of survivors from a plane crash. Each survivor's class will be randomized, or specifically selected by the player on easy mode. The survivor's class can range anywhere from a doctor, an engineer, a soldier, or a regular tourist.

How many characters do I control?

The player controls a randomized number of different survivors, each with their own special and unique skills. For example a soldier can hunt for food with much better results, or a medic can heal injuries or cure certain sicknesses. The choices of what each survivor should do for the day are left up to the player.

What is the main focus?

The player must avoid letting any of the party members die. The goal is to help the party survive, and make it home.

The World

Crash-Zones

Each crash-zone has various stats that effect the survivors, such as predators, climate, food, etc.

The crash-zones are listed below:

Forest
    Savanna
    Rainforest
    Tundra
    Desert
    Sahara
    Ocean

Travel

The player controls each survivor by selecting them individually, and then they can carry out actions as they wish. Wherever the player clicks on the ground, the survivor will move to that location. Players can also use the “Search Area” action with a survivor to zoom out to a grid-like map, and spread out to find more resources.

Scale

The size of an area is represented by a grid-like map that can increase depending on how much the player uses the “Search Area” action with a survivor.

Objects

Aside from the objects that survive the plane crash, many different objects can be found in the wild to help the survivors stay alive. Various objects can be used as tools, weapons, food, and even clothing.

Day and Night

There is a day/night cycle that works realistically according to the 24-hour time system explained below.

Time

The world works based off of a 24-hour time system. Every second that goes by in the real world, 10 minutes goes by for the survivors. There is also a pause system to avoid days going by in a matter of minutes. During the pause system, the player can take control of each survivor and make them carry out various actions. For example, the player can tell Survivor #1 to build a fire pit, and then tell Survivor #2 to collect fire wood. The player may then unpause, and the survivors will begin each of their designated actions. Depending on the action, it will take a certain amount of time to complete it. So Survivor #1's task would take 1 second real-time, 10 minutes in-game, and Survivor #2 would take 3 seconds real-time, 30 minutes in-game. The game automatically pauses for the player once a survivor has completed their designated action, so that no time will be wasted. However, this feature can be turned on/off in the options.

Stats

Each character class has their own unique assortment of stats that can assist them in surviving. Depending on their stat bonus, it will help them carry out tasks with much better results. Here is an example:

A Tourist uses the “Hunt” action. They have no +Hunting skill, therefore they have a regular 25% chance of bringing anything back from the hunt.

A Hunter uses the “Hunt” action. They have a +Hunting skill. For every “+” on a skill, the survivor has an extra 10% chance to complete the action they are attempting. So in this case, the Hunter has “+” on his Hunting skill. Therefore, he gains an additional 10% to his Hunting skill. That's a 35% chance of bringing anything back from the hunt.

Characters

Overview

At the start of the game, the player is randomly chosen 1-10 survivors (If the player is on “Easy Mode” they are allowed to select the amount of survivors and each of their classes. The player also assumes the role of their own character, and can choose their class. There are 10 different classes, each with their own useful skills and items. Here is a list of the various classes and their perks:

Tourist – No Bonus Stats. Starts with cellphone, extra clothes, 50% chance of lighter and cigarettes.

Soldier - +Combat. Starts with extra clothes, pocket knife, 9mm pistol, plastic water bottle, binoculars.

Doctor - +Heal. Starts with cellphone, extra clothes, two medical kits, plastic water bottle.

Engineer - +Crafting. Starts with extra clothes.

Hunter - +Hunting. Starts with extra clothes, backpack, combat knife, hunting rifle, water canteen, binoculars.

Chef - +Cook. Starts with extra clothes, plastic water bottle, cooking utensils.

Hiker - +Search. Starts with extra clothes, water canteen, backpack

Athlete - +Resistance. Starts with extra clothes, plastic water bottle.

Musician - +Party Morale. Starts with extra clothes, plastic water bottle, guitar.

Scout - +Gathering. Starts with extra clothes, water canteen, pocket knife, backpack, tent.

Creating a Character

The player has the option to choose their character's class and appearance at the start of the game.

Predators

The types and amount of predators depend on the crash-zone's biome, and the higher the “Predator Level” is, the more dangerous they will be. The player can choose to kill these predators to gain various foods and resources.

Single-Player

Overview

The game begins with a plane crashing down in a randomized location. 1-10 survivors walk out, and must survive in the wilderness.

Hours of Gameplay

The single-player mode can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 or 3 hours. However shorter is the point of the game, as it is more casual.

Victory Conditions

The player can win the game in multiple ways. The victory conditions are listed below:

Find Road – After using the “Search Area” action, there is a 5% chance that the player can find a road. If they find a road, they will win the game. A road will only start to appear after 10 days in the game.

Signal Aircraft – Every day there will be a 10% chance that a plane will fly over your camp. You can signal it with various tools, such as a fire, mirror, or S.O.S. sign. An aircraft will only start to appear after 20 days in the game.

Rescue Helicopter – Every day there will be a 20% chance that a rescue helicopter will arrive and save the survivors. A rescue Helicopter will only start to appear after 30 days in the game.

More Info

Game Modes

Easy Mode – Playing on easy mode allows the player to select various customization options at the start of the game. The player has the option to select where the plane crashes, how many survivors there are, and each of their classes. Along with choices, the stats on each of the crash-zones are made easier for the player. However, when Easy Mode is selected the player has the option to choose whether or not the crash-zone, survivor count, and survivor classes are randomized. If they are randomized, there is still a higher chance that they will receive better survivor classes, and a lower chance that they will crash in a Normal or Hard zone.

Realistic Mode – Everything is randomized. The player cannot select the crash zone, and has an even chance of crashing in an Easy, Normal, or Hard zone. The player cannot select the amount of survivors. A number will be randomly picked between 1-10. The player cannot select classes for their survivors. There is an even chance that they will be given any of the 10 classes. Duplicates of classes are also allowed.

Prehistoric Mode – This mode is intended purely for fun. This mode is treated the same as Realistic Mode, however just before the plane crashes, it enters a wormhole. When they come out on the other side, they find themselves transported back in time to the Stone Age. The player must survive against prehistoric predators, hostile cavemen, and even dinosaurs.

Apocalypse Mode – This mode is also intended purely for fun. This mode is treated the same as Realistic Mode, however rather than a plane crashing, you take control of the survivors of a viral outbreak. You must survive against the environment, bandits, and of course, hordes of the undead.

Artwork

I haven't done that much work on the art yet. However, I have created some concept sprites for the 8 classes.

And yes, before someone brings it up, the art style of the game is largely inspired by Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, tell me what you think. If you actually read it all the way through, you are my new best friend, and I appreciate it.

Also, I'm pretty new here, so if I'm messing something up I'd love for you to help me out with some criticism. Thanks :)

License: Image
Last edited by RonthisTW on 19 Oct 2014, 05:35, edited 6 times in total.
RonthisTW

Re: The Survivors [Working Title]

Postby Julius » 03 Sep 2014, 21:34

License? Engine to be used? Show us some FOSS love ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby RonthisTW » 03 Sep 2014, 21:46

Julius {l Wrote}:License? Engine to be used? Show us some FOSS love ;)

Er, sorry. I'm still a bit new to this whole game design thing.

This is still in the brainstorming stage of 'development'. I haven't even thought about the FOSS or any of that. Not to mention I have zero programming experience, so I'll probably hire someone to help me out, or learn Gamemaker/Stencyl/Construct 2.
RonthisTW

Postby Julius » 03 Sep 2014, 22:31

Ok, fine ;)

You could still think of a license to put the artwork under, Creative Commons-Attribution-4.0 for example. Have a look at the license faq over at www.opengameart.org
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby RonthisTW » 03 Sep 2014, 22:47

Alright, the licensing has been added. Thanks for the heads-up :)
RonthisTW

Postby charlie » 03 Sep 2014, 23:29

I think it is a good idea and fairly well fleshed out. The question is; are you looking to program it yourself or are you gunning for some help?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby RonthisTW » 03 Sep 2014, 23:33

charlie {l Wrote}:I think it is a good idea and fairly well fleshed out. The question is; are you looking to program it yourself or are you gunning for some help?

And I'm still not quite sure. Like I said, I have no programming experience at all. So I'll either look for someone when it comes to that, or start learning GameMaker/Stencyl/Construct 2, since those 3 are pretty much the most basic as far as game making tools go.
RonthisTW

Postby Julius » 04 Sep 2014, 06:39

This was recently open-sourced and seems like a good solution for you: http://www.compilgames.net/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andrewj » 04 Sep 2014, 11:30

Sounds like a interesting game concept, and it's good that you have a clear idea of how the game is going to be played.

The one thing that seems strange to me, though, is randomizing the number of survivors which a person has to manage. Managing 1 survivor will be a very different experience than managing 10 survivors. So I think it would be best to allow the user to pick the number, and have a "random" as one of the choices.

My other suggestion is to start small, build a prototype of the game with only 2 classes (e.g. Soldier and Hunter) and a single game mode, and get that into a playable state, and later on implement the other classes and game modes. (Excuse me if this is obvious advice, but many projects fail because they try to do way too much).
andrewj

Postby RonthisTW » 04 Sep 2014, 20:52

Julius {l Wrote}:This was recently open-sourced and seems like a good solution for you: http://www.compilgames.net/

That actually looks pretty interesting, I'll check it out.

andrewj {l Wrote}:Sounds like a interesting game concept, and it's good that you have a clear idea of how the game is going to be played.

The one thing that seems strange to me, though, is randomizing the number of survivors which a person has to manage. Managing 1 survivor will be a very different experience than managing 10 survivors. So I think it would be best to allow the user to pick the number, and have a "random" as one of the choices.

My other suggestion is to start small, build a prototype of the game with only 2 classes (e.g. Soldier and Hunter) and a single game mode, and get that into a playable state, and later on implement the other classes and game modes. (Excuse me if this is obvious advice, but many projects fail because they try to do way too much).

Hmm, you bring up interesting points.

For the survivor randomization, I figured it would help keep the realism there. Hence why on "Realistic Mode" it is randomized, whereas on "Easy Mode" you have the option to either randomize it or select the amount yourself. I also feel like the randomization option would also help contribute to the "No two game sessions are the same." idea.

And yeah, I'm already working on what the prototype will look like. You pretty much guessed it already :p
RonthisTW

Postby c_xong » 05 Sep 2014, 01:17

From your description, I'm reminded of Space Colony which, although considered a derivative of The Sims, also has a heavy focus on missions and survival like your idea. Have you tried this game out? It might serve as inspiration.
c_xong

Postby RonthisTW » 05 Sep 2014, 04:08

c_xong {l Wrote}:From your description, I'm reminded of Space Colony which, although considered a derivative of The Sims, also has a heavy focus on missions and survival like your idea. Have you tried this game out? It might serve as inspiration.

Never heard of the game before you said anything. However, after watching a few episodes of gameplay on YouTube, I can see why you're getting that vibe. A lot of aspects of the survival-game genre will be crossed over, such as hunger, happiness/morale, fatigue/tiredness, gathering resources, etc.

I appreciate the heads-up on this though, it really will help a lot. Thanks :D
RonthisTW

Postby RonthisTW » 06 Sep 2014, 01:45

So, something I'm still not sure on is the perspective of the game. My first idea was something like this:

(excuse the crappy drawing)

I couldn't find a good example of what other game it looks like, but I guess it would be similar to a side-scrolling beat-'em up. Except the ground is a 3D box, of course.

However, the other option I have been considering is an isometric perspective. Sorta like Space Colony's, which c_xong recommended earlier. I feel like it would be a lot easier to work with, however I'm not the biggest fan of that style.

And lastly, I thought about one final perspective, and that's top-down. Basically, think Hotline Miami. I honestly don't feel like doing this one, as it doesn't seem like it would work in my head. I figured I'd throw it out there though.

Anyways, give me your opinions on the matter, which one do you guys think sounds the best? Also, sorry about the double post.
RonthisTW

Postby acme_pjz » 07 Sep 2014, 04:02

How about Minecraft-style first-person or third-person view?
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby RonthisTW » 07 Sep 2014, 08:13

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:How about Minecraft-style first-person or third-person view?

Ehhh...

Controlling 1-10 different characters with this perspective seems like it would be difficult to play with, and would ruin the flow.
RonthisTW

Postby DGMurdockIII » 21 Jan 2015, 05:52

this is a great game idea o loveed Space Colony you shold look at using this engine http://www.godotengine.org/wp/ for the game
DGMurdockIII

Postby JontomXire » 21 Feb 2015, 14:36

Nice idea. Check out "Unturned" (free on Steam) for a few ideas. It's a sandbox zombie game where you and other players are survivors of a zombie apocalypse. You need to outrun the zombies while looting twons for weapons, medicine, food, etc. Once you find an axe you can chop down trees and make fires, and even start building forts etc, but usually by that stage forts are a bit redundant as the zombies don't wander much, are easily outrun (and run over) in a car, and finding a safe place is easy.

Anyway the scavenging/hunting you do sounds like it might be useful inspiration.

Also, whenever I see/hear of a single player team game I wonder why they don't make it multiplayer. Much more fun.
JontomXire