Domination: Turn Based Strategy Game Idea

Domination: Turn Based Strategy Game Idea

Postby alapshin » 05 May 2010, 18:32

I would like to introduce idea of a turn based strategy game.

Rules and principals:

* Turn based game
* Game map represents as a set of countries (lands) that are owned by different player: one color – one player
* Lands of one player may be disconnected as it is shown on the sketch above
* Goal of the game: Domination – get your opponents down
* Resources: Scientists and Monsters.
* Scientists are per connectivity component, but monsters are per land resource.
* Turn is time to choose current investments and plans for attack.
* In case of linking several components in one scientists are linked as well
* In case of disjoining scientists are divided proportionally to the area of resulted parts.
* Monsters (your army) are used to expand the territory by invading opponents lands
* Scientists are used to upgrade monsters and some other stuff
* Fighting is “land to land” operation. One land can attack any neighboring land.
* Fighting rules: Monsters like dies. Die is a random value form 1 to 6. To compute who is the winner sum of scores on the dies is computed.
* Number of monsters and scientists is increased each turn and upcoming resources depends on area size.

Explanation of the GUI

* Colored map: main map for the players. Here players define their invasion plans.
* At the bottom: Resource of the selected area (scientists is shown for connectivity component that contains selected area)
* At the right there is a technology tree for the scientists.
* At the right-bottom: Currently selected investigation.

Home page that contains low level design (LLD) diagram for the game (in .dia format). Since I like this idea, but have no spare time to implement this game (I'm working on the OpenGL game library as well as on Bart's game) I'm looking for anybody who is interested in implementing this game using D'Enfent Engine library. I will assist with engine's side as well as with architecture / common questions I am able to help with. So, if anybody is interested to work on this game with me feel free to contact.

Thanks for your feedback,
Anton
alapshin

Re: Domination: Turn Based Strategy Game Idea

Postby qubodup » 13 May 2010, 19:51

I noticed the project page on sf.net and that reminded me that I wanted to tell you that if you're looking for graphics, this might be a good chance to ask Tranberry to finally upload his tactical war game concepts. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby alapshin » 23 May 2010, 07:03

Small demo is available to introduce the concept of world view.

Controls
* Hold right mouse button and move the cursor to rotate the world
* Use mouse wheel to zoom in/out

alapshin

Postby Sauer2 » 24 May 2010, 14:49

Looks pretty cool. You can draw images directly on those hex-fields? :cool:
Sauer2

Postby alapshin » 24 May 2010, 17:57

Yeah, but I think it would be better to use a whole texture for the sphere and hex-fields will only define areas on the world map. They will be used to show owners (players) of the territory and army located.
alapshin

Postby alapshin » 29 May 2010, 10:56

A new demo is available! Now it contains technology tree view along with descriptions for all technologies. As usually, feedback is highly appreciated. :)

Download source & binaries
alapshin

Postby Sauer2 » 29 May 2010, 11:43

First thing I have to say is, the game has a very nice CPU behavior. (eats up only around 5-10% :!: )
Very nice technology tree.
Two bugs, I noticed:
1. If you move the window or pull another window above it, everything exept the 3D globe is somewhere out of the window.
2. You can move and scroll the globe even if the cursor is not in the grey frame.
Sauer2

Postby alapshin » 29 May 2010, 15:51

I was able to reproduce the second bug, I'll fix it soon. Thanks for pointing me to that problem! :) But the first bug is not reproducible for me.. I can move/minimize/maximize window and also cover it by another windows and still have no problems.. What video card do you use? It is rather strange for me that images in the window depends on window's position..

Thanks a lot for your help!
alapshin

Postby Sauer2 » 29 May 2010, 15:59

I'm using the NVidia Closed Source Glx driver. The video card is a lowend card with the name MSI NX6200AX. The windows drivers didn't work properly with this card, it also doesn't work flawless on linux, thus I'm not sure if this just "bad luck" :x with NVidias driver or if it's a hardware defect.
Sauer2

Postby alapshin » 30 May 2010, 08:05

It was nothing to do in this weekend, so the new version is coming! :)

Game View:

New in this release:
* Fixed bug noted by Sauer2
* A new texture for the planet
* Lands can be selected
* Digits renderer was added to show digits I am going to use for this game

Download
alapshin

Postby Sauer2 » 30 May 2010, 11:51

It is still possible to scroll on the outer side of the world window. Good work, though. ;)
May I ask what you planned to take as a background for the world window? I think, something like dark space with some stars would be logical, but that was very dark...
Sauer2

Postby alapshin » 30 May 2010, 12:04

Oh.. really, I forgot about scrolling :) I had no ideas about background for the world window, but dark space with light stars would fit very good. Nice idea! But in this case it seems that I should change background for the whole window except the world window to make the game view a bit brighter. Do you have any ideas what may be used as a background instead of plain black color as it is now?
alapshin

Postby Sauer2 » 30 May 2010, 13:08

Maybe you could make the big background look like a commando headquarter (with buttons, pipes, screens, control views and stuff) and the gamefield was a screen. Everything in this Machinarium-like style. But I guess, it will be hard to find someone who can and will draw this good. :|
Sauer2

Postby Sauer2 » 30 May 2010, 13:11

PS: Or a rendered headquarter made with blender could look nice, too.
Sauer2

Postby alapshin » 06 Jul 2010, 20:30

Small update: Since the engine is cross-platform, windows version is available.
alapshin