Multi-planar Rpg

Multi-planar Rpg

Postby Kwama.warrior » 30 Sep 2012, 18:25

I'm thinking of creating a simple sprite-based, turn-based, party rpg, with a storyline that involves the main characters being able to travel to alternate realities. These alternate realities would be obtained online and would be created by other players with an easy to use content creation engine. The important things for this game that would set it apart from other rpgs with downloadable worlds would be the quality and difficulty rating system for worlds, along with the ability to keep your stats and equipment from previous worlds. This would create infinite rpg fun, without the disappointment of having to lose progress when trying a new world. Some worlds could even be multiplayer, and the downloaded world file that would be given by a developer would simply redirect to a server ip, where everything would be handled server-side. Some worlds (especially online ones) would need to be able restrict the level and equipment of characters entering the world, and I think I'd handle that with an option in the server's configuration file that can force players to only use characters in that world that have never been outside of that world. (Note that you could still go to another world with such a player, he/she could just never return.

There's a few things I'd like feedback on, if you wouldn't mind:
-What language should it be in? I'm thinking java, for easy modification, since so many people have skills in java. C has it's advantages, too, though. I already know C, and it'll be more resource-friendly. (Though, I think that'll be a non-issue.)
-How would I keep it from forking if it became more popular? I'd like to make the game to somehow able to play with whatever mods people introduce (mechanics-wise, I mean; story, enemies, worlds, weapons, and spells will all already be introduced easily, as said before.) without breaking compatibility to the vanilla version. In other words, I'd like to let characters go to worlds that required, say, an HD mod that modified the original binary, and then gate back to an unmodded world without issues.
-Finally, any other suggestions? I've got the gameplay and mechanics pretty mapped out, but have zero progress on the starting world that will start with it. (other than that the main characters travel to other universes.) Any input on features you'd like to see? Annoyances you'd hate to see? Questions?

Thank you for any input.
Kwama.warrior

Re: Multi-planar Rpg

Postby Barsook » 01 Oct 2012, 23:20

What do you mean by party PRG?
Barsook

Postby Skorpio » 03 Oct 2012, 20:36

Barsook {l Wrote}:What do you mean by party PRG?
It means that the heroes have to party all the time, with lots of sex, drugs and rock'n'roll! :D Or that you play several heroes at the same time? I always confuse that.

Such a game with a possibility for the players to easily create new quests or complete adventures would be extremely cool. Do you plan to make a fantasy or sci-fi game or maybe both? You could probably use a lot of the LPC graphics on Opengameart.org as a start, although I'd prefer a different style and 3D graphics.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby serialjoepsycho » 05 Oct 2012, 06:16

2 or more characters I'd guess.
serialjoepsycho

Postby serialjoepsycho » 05 Oct 2012, 06:42

Kwama.warrior {l Wrote}:I'm thinking of creating a simple sprite-based, turn-based, party rpg, with a storyline that involves the main characters being able to travel to alternate realities. These alternate realities would be obtained online and would be created by other players with an easy to use content creation engine. The important things for this game that would set it apart from other rpgs with downloadable worlds would be the quality and difficulty rating system for worlds, along with the ability to keep your stats and equipment from previous worlds. This would create infinite rpg fun, without the disappointment of having to lose progress when trying a new world. Some worlds could even be multiplayer, and the downloaded world file that would be given by a developer would simply redirect to a server ip, where everything would be handled server-side. Some worlds (especially online ones) would need to be able restrict the level and equipment of characters entering the world, and I think I'd handle that with an option in the server's configuration file that can force players to only use characters in that world that have never been outside of that world. (Note that you could still go to another world with such a player, he/she could just never return.

There's a few things I'd like feedback on, if you wouldn't mind:
-What language should it be in? I'm thinking java, for easy modification, since so many people have skills in java. C has it's advantages, too, though. I already know C, and it'll be more resource-friendly. (Though, I think that'll be a non-issue.)
-How would I keep it from forking if it became more popular? I'd like to make the game to somehow able to play with whatever mods people introduce (mechanics-wise, I mean; story, enemies, worlds, weapons, and spells will all already be introduced easily, as said before.) without breaking compatibility to the vanilla version. In other words, I'd like to let characters go to worlds that required, say, an HD mod that modified the original binary, and then gate back to an unmodded world without issues.
-Finally, any other suggestions? I've got the gameplay and mechanics pretty mapped out, but have zero progress on the starting world that will start with it. (other than that the main characters travel to other universes.) Any input on features you'd like to see? Annoyances you'd hate to see? Questions?

Thank you for any input.

Not exactly but mostly it sounds like you are trying to build rpg maker. http://openrpgmaker.sourceforge.net/
serialjoepsycho

Postby Kwama.warrior » 18 Oct 2012, 00:45

Rpg Maker allows you to make many worlds, characters, and such, but has no way to be server based, and while it wouldn't be incrediblyhard to program a server and client version of something similar to rpg maker, it would be incredibly hard to set up the cross-server travel of a character between worlds while still retaining items native to the first servers world.

And by party based, I mean Final Fantasy style. Any time you entered a battle, you'd play it just like any fight from final fantasy and other similar games.
Kwama.warrior

Postby Barsook » 18 Oct 2012, 09:59

Oh, duh! *faceplams* That type of party based! D'oh.
Barsook

Postby DrAltaica » 20 Oct 2012, 20:32

I guess he means you play more than one char at the same time like Team Angband and Granado Espada
DrAltaica