Dragon Racing Game Anyone?

Dragon Racing Game Anyone?

Postby Barsook » 22 Sep 2012, 22:51

This crazy idea has been floating around in my mind for about five years, but I haven't really posted this idea any where. It's an idea for a racing game but not with karts but with dragons. I swear I never seen this game idea (racing with dragons) any where. I don't know if there are reasons behind why there isn't one or if there is really one.

Here is the idea:

Players get to control dragons and race either around a track (lap count based) or down hill (like in a snowboarding racing game- 1080 is one).

Unlike all other racing games, there will be no items but each different type of dragon (red, blue, white, ect.) will have an ability that the player will use against other players (AI or human). The closest game to this idea is Kirby's AirRide.

Also, unlike the others (but not Kirby’s) is that the controls will be only for turning and attacking. The reason behind this dragons can't speed up like a car or a kart.

There is another twist to this racing game which is the players have to get their dragons a running start in order for them to jump up in the air and start flying. There will be a penalty for starting to early (crossing the line in this case) or a boost at perfect timing. It's the idea of start of the race in Sonic Riders.

The game itself can start as a 2D game and work itself to a 3D game.

I'm posting this here so I can get some feedback on the idea in case I want to develop it into a game. If this shouldn't be posted here or at all, I'm sorry.
Barsook

Re: Dragon Racing Game Anyone?

Postby MCMic » 24 Sep 2012, 12:12

I'd love playing such a game if it were in 3D. In my opinion it should use the 3D, I'd expect the thing to feel a bit like the quidditch games (regarding the fly control, not regarding the sport ^^).
MCMic

Postby Barsook » 30 Sep 2012, 01:53

I never played the quidditch game. Can you explain how the controls work in that game?
Barsook

Postby Kwama.warrior » 30 Sep 2012, 18:37

I'd think it would make a lot more sense and feel more natural controls-wise if you could speed up and slow down. Flying creatures generally can, and it would help prevent a lot of problems where a player got stuck against some terrain or something.

I think this idea's really cool, and would hope that you make the combat great for it. I've always loved Lair, which is a game where you're a dragon rider, but mostly fighting other dragon riders, and have dreamt of a two player game along the same lines for a while now. Make sure to include modes other than just racing, like a battle mode where you can free fly and need to kill the enemies. Or a capture the flag mode, that involves each player having a hoard that they need to protect while trying to steal enemy hoards.
Kwama.warrior

Postby Barsook » 01 Oct 2012, 00:40

I was thinking about doing a dragon battle game too but maybe I will because your ideas for one. But I could add that in the racing one to make it more fun. Maybe a battle mode too.

Edited to add: Is Lair the only example of a Dragon Battle game out there?
Barsook

Postby Skorpio » 03 Oct 2012, 20:46

Drakan was a really cool game based on dragon riding and battles.

I wonder if you could create a dragon racing game as a car racing game mod. SuperTuxKart needs more dragons! :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Barsook » 03 Oct 2012, 22:55

How would you mod STK with my idea. I don't see it.
Barsook

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Oct 2012, 14:00

Barsook {l Wrote}:How would you mod STK with my idea. I don't see it.

change the kart models to be dragons and change the tracks if you want also, you could also change the skins to be more dragoney.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Skorpio » 04 Oct 2012, 14:14

Well, STK and most of the other racing games have already a lot of the features that you need, like checkpoints and weapons (at least STK), and you would only have to modify the menus and interface instead of creating them from scratch. I think you could even reuse some of the maps, if the dragons are only allowed to fly a few meters up and down to evade obstacles on the track. If you want true three dimensional gameplay, you would of course have to create new maps and add a third dimension. ;)

Btw, I think dragons can have different speeds, if they fly upwards they get slower and downwards faster. Also, they could do something like a sprint by flapping quicker.

Of course modding an air racing game would be more appropriate, but I don't know if there's a functional FOSS game of this genre. There was a blog post about such a game (or demo). I'm not sure if it's still being developed or if it's playable at all.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 04 Oct 2012, 22:55

For reference and motivation: Slipstream 5000

youtu.be/KXTZTNkErRA

Sadly the video doesn't show one of the more 3-dimensional tracks - which separates an air race from a car race.
Later tracks with higher difficulty required you to loop and roll a lot.

The game allowed you to shoot to de-accellerate enemies and enemies taunted you via radio (speech).
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby DrAltaica » 20 Oct 2012, 20:57

Barsook {l Wrote}:It's an idea for a racing game but not with karts but with dragons. I swear I never seen this game idea (racing with dragons) any where. I don't know if there are reasons behind why there isn't one or if there is really one.
umm... Dragon Booster
DrAltaica

Postby Jastiv » 27 Dec 2018, 08:45

It would be cool if you could breathe fire on obstacles (such as ice walls) and even other dragons.
Jastiv